Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in a world without evil
Yes 17 73.91%
No 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 09:23 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The problem with this is that people are looking to be in an afterlife as themselves, not as some remanufactured avatar of themselves. The further we have to be from our humanity (warts and all) the less of an incentive the afterlife is.

I think that most believers think heaven is a place where they -- not someone else -- will live their life as it is but with "every tear wiped away". If they are not going to be recognizably themselves, maybe not even recognizably human ... it seems a little bit like a bait-and-switch.

One could argue that it doesn't matter so long as you're happy and maybe it doesn't. But I don't think most folks would be at ease with being altered to fit heaven; they've been thinking that heaven is sort of earth, altered to fit them. And yes I see some problems with that, but there are also problems with heaven being an incentive for deferred closure, understanding, justice in this life ... life finally made "right" ... and it's something they wouldn't actually enjoy as themselves. It's kind of strange to think about.

I believe many aren't satisfied with things concerning themselves. I also would consider myself an introvert based on temperament, but I recognize being introverted keeps me from good things. (Also keeps me from bad) Being introverted might keep me away from helping somebody or meeting someone who would be a joy. I would be willing to give that up for a temperament that increases joy.

Of course all of us know what the Christian faith speaks to these things, but hypothetically speaking should a perfect world exist and/or a world without suffering exists, giving up our current world would be a cost. Giving up who we currently are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
you mean the World to come where all the bad people , basically all humans, are exterminated.

Let's not think about this in terms of judgment. Think about this and answer from a hypothetical perfect world scenario. Also a world where no evil exists, whether large or small. Example here may be, on the small side, to live in a world where there is no gossip (speaking or making fun of people). Would you want to live in a world where you liked everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 09:38 AM

998 posts, read 786,751 times
3. The Golden Ages
55:3.1 (624.7) During this age of light and life the world increasingly prospers under the fatherly rule of the Planetary Sovereign. By this time the worlds are progressing under the momentum of one language, one religion, and, on normal spheres, one race. But this age is not perfect. These worlds still have well-appointed hospitals, homes for the care of the sick. There still remain the problems of caring for accidental injuries and the inescapable infirmities attendant upon the decrepitude of old age and the disorders of senility. Disease has not been entirely vanquished, neither have the earth animals been subdued in perfection; but such worlds are like Paradise in comparison with the early times of primitive man during the pre-Planetary Prince age. You would instinctively describe such a realm—could you be suddenly transported to a planet in this stage of development—as heaven on earth.
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...light-and-life

Old 04-10-2024, 11:05 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I

Let's not think about this in terms of judgment. Think about this and answer from a hypothetical perfect world scenario. Also a world where no evil exists, whether large or small. Example here may be, on the small side, to live in a world where there is no gossip (speaking or making fun of people). Would you want to live in a world where you liked everyone?

I am thinking if it in terms of actual plans that have been written down in the Kabbalah where they pan to obliterate what we know as humans. The "curse of birth and death". Where do you think all this blurring of the sexes has come from? They not only finance it to promote it socially but chemically. We know plastics are endocrine disruptors . but on it goes.

This is to occurs in the messianic age which is to occur in the 7th millennium, to its conclusion in little more than 200 years. That age also is symbolized with rainbows.

https://www.sefaria.org/sheets/47468?lang=bi

Old 04-22-2024, 04:34 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I am thinking if it in terms of actual plans that have been written down in the Kabbalah where they pan to obliterate what we know as humans. The "curse of birth and death". Where do you think all this blurring of the sexes has come from? They not only finance it to promote it socially but chemically. We know plastics are endocrine disruptors . but on it goes. This is to occurs in the messianic age which is to occur in the 7th millennium, to its conclusion in little more than 200 years. That age also is symbolized with rainbows.
who is the "they" that is "planning to obliterate humans" ?
who exactly are you blaming for the "blurring of the sexes" and "financing it" ?

in your own words please, so readers know.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:42 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Would you want to live in a world without opposites? Dont limit it to religion.

No white, only black? No black, only white?
If we are here to learn, what good would that be?

Old 04-22-2024, 08:23 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Would you want to live in a world without opposites? Dont limit it to religion.

No white, only black? No black, only white?
If we are here to learn, what good would that be?
It is not a binary question.

There are degrees of pain and pleasure, benefits and harms.

There's more than enough contrast between the lack of pain, and extreme pleasure. We don't have to extend that in the other direct into excruciating pain, to experience different things or learn stuff.

In other words suffering is not a necessary ingredient to growth or wisdom. One can argue that it's a pretty strong distraction from same, in fact.

I think we are so used to suffering as part of the human condition we have trouble imagining life without it, but that doesn't transmute it into something inherently good or desirable.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:28 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
When it comes to the God of Christianity, He wants the universe and earth to be without evil. Now for those outside Christianity, they wouldn't agree with Yahweh's view of what is good and evil. However ultimately, we all have a sense of good and evil. So this is a spiritual question. If given the opportunity, would you want to live in a world where evil didn't exist at all? This is purely a question of desire and not about punishment. I just want to know how many here would like a world without evil? (No matter how big the evil is or how small, but it's entire eradication) Be as honest as you can. (For instance, perhaps in this perfect world, there might be zero lying. There won't be a need for lying, but would you like to live in a world without lying?)

I also have a poll with this thread.
What if the only evil and good exists in your mind? You project that on the world and call it evil. So the question is how are you going to eradicate that evil from your mind?

Old 04-23-2024, 06:03 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is not a binary question.

There are degrees of pain and pleasure, benefits and harms.

There's more than enough contrast between the lack of pain, and extreme pleasure. We don't have to extend that in the other direct into excruciating pain, to experience different things or learn stuff.

In other words suffering is not a necessary ingredient to growth or wisdom. One can argue that it's a pretty strong distraction from same, in fact.

I think we are so used to suffering as part of the human condition we have trouble imagining life without it, but that doesn't transmute it into something inherently good or desirable.

Looking at this world as a University, then the course or lifetime we choose can be a difficult subject or an easier subject, the more difficult ones get you a Masters Degree and the easier ones get you a Bachelors Degree. However, I believe that with the conditions in the world at the moment, the syllabus is getting more difficult and anyone who wants a normal Bachelors Degree may have to choose another University. If you get my drift?

If Heaven is a reality, then there is absolutely no chance we can experience lessons there which explore the murkier side of life, so why not go somewhere where those lessons can be learned?

Old 04-23-2024, 07:38 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What if the only evil and good exists in your mind? You project that on the world and call it evil. So the question is how are you going to eradicate that evil from your mind?
Your conclusion relies on your premise being true. What if it is not? What if evil and good exists outside of your mind?

Old 04-23-2024, 08:29 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
When it comes to the God of Christianity, He wants the universe and earth to be without evil. Now for those outside Christianity, they wouldn't agree with Yahweh's view of what is good and evil. However ultimately, we all have a sense of good and evil. So this is a spiritual question. If given the opportunity, would you want to live in a world where evil didn't exist at all? This is purely a question of desire and not about punishment. I just want to know how many here would like a world without evil? (No matter how big the evil is or how small, but it's entire eradication) Be as honest as you can. (For instance, perhaps in this perfect world, there might be zero lying. There won't be a need for lying, but would you like to live in a world without lying?)

I also have a poll with this thread.
I don't know about wanting evil, but naughty is sometimes nice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality