Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 10:13 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
And indeed how do we know who prayed when they died? We don’t. This is such a sad and horrific event, for those who watched, those who lost, those who survived, those who rescued, for everyone. We know in the aftermath religious places were full of people who needed to pray. It brought forth generosity in people’s hearts, in New York city yet. There was no winning to be found anywhere.
Of course we don't know WHO prayed when they died. No need to be pedantic. But we do know that people of all religions and people who were atheists died that day, and we know that people died before they would have even gotten a chance to pray. The point is that it didn't make a difference.

What do you mean by "in New York city yet". Are you suggesting that people in the city are not normally generous? LOL.

Old 03-10-2024, 10:29 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course we don't know WHO prayed when they died. No need to be pedantic. But we do know that people of all religions and people who were atheists died that day, and we know that people died before they would have even gotten a chance to pray. The point is that it didn't make a difference.

What do you mean by "in New York city yet". Are you suggesting that people in the city are not normally generous? LOL.
They are always in too much hurry and maybe a bit cynical. But like everywhere else New Yorkers come through in crisis in many ways as they did that day.
We dont know what difference it made to those who prayed. We dont know that people died before they got a chance to pray. We dont know who got a chance to pray or even how they prayed. I think in order to make your point you are making too many assumptions.
I am done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 10:37 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
They are always in too much hurry and maybe a bit cynical. But like everywhere else New Yorkers come through in crisis in many ways as they did that day.
We dont know what difference it made to those who prayed. We dont know that people died before they got a chance to pray. We dont know who got a chance to pray or even how they prayed. I think in order to make your point you are making too many assumptions.
I am done.
Yeah, we do know people died before they got a chance to pray. We most certainly do know that because we know exactly how some people died, and they would not have had a chance to say a prayer. I am not making assumptions.

Anyway, obviously, I know first hand much more about this particular situation than you ever possibly could, so yes, let's end it here.

Old 03-10-2024, 10:43 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just, please, don't be diminutive about people, you know nothing about.
Diminutive about people, you know nothing about, such as atheists in foxholes?

Quote:
Oh yeah and, just go to a battlefield and watch sworn atheists becoming ardent believers, the very moment shelling begins and their lives are endangered.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:37 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

If religious people believe in gods, why do they even dig foxholes? Either their god will look after them, or they get to meet their maker sooner.
We had a local atheist/humanist guy named Clinton Wiles. Back when they had public access TV shows. He had one.

Here is what he said about the "foxhole" thing.

"While it may be true that there are no atheists in foxholes... due to the randomness of the fate of those who are under attack while in foxholes... it would appear that there are no gods in foxholes either."

Old 03-10-2024, 11:47 AM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Always pray for God's will!
Why would you have to pray for "God's will," when "God" does whatever he/she/it/they want?

Old 03-10-2024, 11:48 AM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Diminutive about people, you know nothing about, such as atheists in foxholes?
I don't think either one of you know the definition of "diminutive." You are not using it correctly.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:23 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
That's fine, mordant. You are cordially welcomed to be what you chose to be. To be honest, I wasted my time, reading through the first link.
Just, please, don't be diminutive about people, you know nothing about. rest assured, you don't have the high ultimate knowledge on what is right and what is wrong. You simple have exactly that - preconceived notion/stereotype, you are, by basic reverse psychology, superimposing onto anyone, who is not sharing your standpoint.
Which is fine. To each of his own. Everyone will be granted according to his or her faith.
Be well.
You're missing the whole point. You brought up the foxhole scenario, and we're telling you that despite our serious illnesses (etc.), we did not fulfill the foxhole scenario.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:38 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Why would you have to pray for "God's will," when "God" does whatever he/she/it/they want?
Thank you for posting that. That was my same thought when I read the post.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:47 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Okay, there are two people are at a wedding and one person prays ... hoping it won't rain and spoil the wedding. And there is another person attending the wedding who prays that it will rain, thinking it will be blessing to the couple.

What will God do? Make it rain, or not make it rain.
I think he'd simply ignore such trivial requests. Even the wedding itself is about a new bond going together into the future, hopefully for the rest of their lives. It's not about the weather for an hour or so (a blip in time), which is a rather weak and superficial focus.

Prayer isn't a "yin and yang" matter, and it is also not about "winning". Nearly every premise of this thread is flawed.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-11-2024 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality