Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times

Advertisements

I used to discuss this with my parents, as we talked about their friends, who often had kids my age that I used to hang around with.

We noted the following:
- tyrannical husband and compliant wife
- Steamroller wife and doormat husband
- More rare was that both were sociable and easy-going

Only 2 times in my life have I met married couples where both were a-holes. When you see it, you remember it.

a) One time, there was a real cocky Stanford educated short guy who was prematurely a curmudgeon. He married a woman who previously worked there. She had gone on to become a mortgage officer. She was one icy b itch. One day, she came into the office to distribute her personalized calendars. She pops her head in my door, and throws a calendar in my in-box. I asked some co-workers "What's the deal?" Answer: "She's a b itch."
b) Holier than thou head honcho in a company. Took an Emergenetics test, which adds to 100%, and his social aptitude (out of 4 components) was UNDER 5%. At holiday parties, his wife, an overly devout Catholic, wouldn't acknowledge anybody. Same consensus: "She's a b itch."

Do you believe that, with most married people you know, it's "yin and yang," followed by "both are cool?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I used to discuss this with my parents, as we talked about their friends, who often had kids my age that I used to hang around with.

We noted the following:
- tyrannical husband and compliant wife
- Steamroller wife and doormat husband
- More rare was that both were sociable and easy-going

Do you believe that, of most married people you know, it's "yin and yang," followed by "both are cool?"
I think most people's personalities match up with a little give and take. With the extremes you mention, I think one person is always supremely unhappy.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,750 times
Yin and Yang would suggest two sides of a whole package which is not what you are describing. It looks like in these situations atleast one person is getting shafted. It seems to me Yin Yang marriages would imply that each party has traits that compliment the others. They may be total opposites but as a whole they complete each other and bring balance to each others life.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I think most people's personalities match up with a little give and take. With the extremes you mention, I think one person is always supremely unhappy.
Yes.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Yin and Yang would suggest two sides of a whole package which is not what you are describing. It looks like in these situations atleast one person is getting shafted. It seems to me Yin Yang marriages would imply that each party has traits that compliment the others. They may be total opposites but as a whole they complete each other and bring balance to each others life.
+10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships