Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2024, 11:18 AM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it bothers you and troubles you to the point you ruminate and stew over it as evidenced and demonstrated by your many posts and many threads. it bothers you to the point you mock belittle patronize condescend criticize and denigrate.
When you see posts you don't like, it troubles you to the point you ruminate and stew over it as evidenced and demonstrated by your many posts and many threads where you lecture down to people. it bothers you to the point you mock, belittle, patronize, condescend, criticize, and denigrate atheists and anyone else who doesn't buy into all woo all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Your contributions are part of the entertainment, however, and for this I am grateful. Keep it coming!
Woo is always entertaining. It's why people love things like horror movies and other fantasy-type movies. All woo all the time. And religion fits right into that. Hey, let's you and me go over and part the Red Sea!

Old 03-23-2024, 12:16 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Woo is always entertaining. It's why people love things like horror movies and other fantasy-type movies. All woo all the time. And religion fits right into that. Hey, let's you and me go over and part the Red Sea!
so you identify as a Buddhist because it entertains you, and you partake of Buddhism as a form of entertainment?
well then as the saying goes, you do you

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-23-2024 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-23-2024, 12:40 PM

43,065 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Man now thinks they are masters of the universe and have all the logical and tangible answers to everything even to the point of legislating when life begins and when it should end.

And when anything comes up that cannot be explained logically..."coincidence" with a statistical probability of near zero as "tangible proof".

And because of that...you miss "the signs" that may be sent from places we don't know.
And the wonder of it all and how it comes so imperfectly together every single day as if "by magic".

To phetaroi....if you describe my post as "woo" use a capitals . "WOO"

Old 03-23-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
so you identify as a Buddhist because it entertains you, and you partake of Buddhism as a form of entertainment?
well then as the saying goes, you do you
All of us -- everyone of us -- buys into a degree of woo.

The person who won't walk under a ladder.
The person who worries about bad luck on Friday the 13th.
And so much more.

But it also goes to, for example, how one reads scriptures, whether they be christian scriptures or Buddhist scriptures. For example:

"I believe every word of the bible is the word of god". Baloney.
"Yes, I believe that god literally turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt". Baloney.
"I think there are some good moral lessons told in the fables of the bible". Okay.

The problem is...you don't see the difference.

And the same things hold true for the Buddhist scriptures. And unlike your god, Buddha didn't expect everyone to just accept everything he said:

Kalama Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya III.65:

"Do not accept anything by mere tradition ... Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures ... Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your pre-conceived notions ... But when you know for yourselves—these things are moral, these things are blameless, these things are praised by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken, conduce to well-being and happiness—then do you live acting accordingly.

And that last phrase that I bolded is so important.

And by the way, that bit about "you do you". That isn't how you operate. You lecture down to people that if they don't accept your woo they are on the wrong path.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
All of us -- everyone of us -- buys into a degree of woo.The person who won't walk under a ladder.The person who worries about bad luck on Friday the 13th.And so much more.But it also goes to, for example, how one reads scriptures, whether they be christian scriptures or Buddhist scriptures. For example:"I believe every word of the bible is the word of god". Baloney."Yes, I believe that god literally turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt". Baloney."I think there are some good moral lessons told in the fables of the bible". Okay.The problem is...you don't see the difference.And the same things hold true for the Buddhist scriptures. And unlike your god, Buddha didn't expect everyone to just accept everything he said: Kalama Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya III.65:"Do not accept anything by mere tradition ... Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures ... Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your pre-conceived notions ... But when you know for yourselves—these things are moral, these things are blameless, these things are praised by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken, conduce to well-being and happiness—then do you live acting accordingly.And that last phrase that I bolded is so important.And by the way, that bit about "you do you". That isn't how you operate. You lecture down to people that if they don't accept your woo they are on the wrong path.
so first you say religion is entertainment. you liken it to horror movies and fantasy film.
then in your very next post (the same day, less than 3 hours later) you are quoting religious scripture.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-23-2024 at 01:52 PM..

Old 03-23-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
so first you say religion is entertainment. you liken it to horror movies and fantasy film.
then in your very next post (the same day, less than 3 hours later) you are quoting religious scripture.
You aren't even thinking.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
thinking reveals that if someone sees religion as entertainment like horror movies and fantasy film,
then when they try to quote scripture it's not going to be taken seriously.

just as entertainment is not taken seriously.

Old 03-23-2024, 04:09 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
If you did use Google, the many experts that disagree with you could explain.

I would call that an evolution of an ability that allows animals to navigate and understand their world better (improving their chance of survival), eventually improving that ability to where it can understand and observe that ability itself.

What you need to do is explain your special case why consciousness should be aware of other things but not itself. Simply dismissing it as magic indicates you can not grasp this simple concept, perhaps if you actually read the Cliff notes.
I like you Harry, but your reliance on Cliff's Notes versions of complex phenomena is problematic. Contrary to what seems to be a widespread belief, some things cannot be dumbed down. It would not have taken me decades to uncover the truth behind my experiences if it were. There seems to be a critical mass of knowledge (and experience) needed to discover a genuinely novel understanding of what has been unknown or inexplicable. Most departures from the extant rationale seem to have that requirement. Few seem inclined or motivated to pursue such depth of knowledge, especially about what serious scientists consider "woo" (or simply unfalsifiable). I had a very personal motivation to do so fully recognizing how embarrassing it would be to my professional colleagues.

Old 03-23-2024, 04:12 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Quoting scripture that you think is fictional entertainment is tantamount to taking the Lord's name in vain to serious believers, Phet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality