Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2024, 08:53 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times

Advertisements

LerneMe, you need to empty your cup.
This is very liberating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 09:41 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I tend to agree but about the empty space in a crowded parking lot...

I have written about this in this forum before. I am known to have a real knack for finding parking where and when it seems impossible. For a long time now I have often noted upon finding yet another spot to park right where I want to park that "the parking gods are looking out for me again!"

Otherwise, I think most Christians have more "interesting" examples or signs they perceive to be manifestations of God. A bit more compelling that finding lost keys in the sofa. I've heard many quite a bit better than that, but whether there is anything supernatural going on with respect to any of these experiences, I really have to wonder and remain rather skeptical about these sorts of claims involving a god. All too often they seem very typically self-centered and somewhat hard to believe a god would entertain. Self-centered in the same way we were all so inclined to think we were at the center of the universe for so long before we finally wisened up about that. Finally with the evidence that couldn't be refuted no matter how strong the alternative beliefs.

What I want to hear from a Christian is an event they prayed for that happened (with evidence, of course) that scientists scratch their heads and say, "I cannot explain this." I did hear of something similar many years ago though I am not sure how solid the evidence is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Moorjani

Old 03-23-2024, 12:19 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't need Google for that. It is just MAGIC!
If you did use Google, the many experts that disagree with you could explain.

Quote:
The only phenomenon capable of observing any "emergence" is consciousness and you explain consciousness as the result of emergence. What is that called again?
I would call that an evolution of an ability that allows animals to navigate and understand their world better (improving their chance of survival), eventually improving that ability to where it can understand and observe that ability itself.

What you need to do is explain your special case why consciousness should be aware of other things but not itself. Simply dismissing it as magic indicates you can not grasp this simple concept, perhaps if you actually read the Cliff notes.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:28 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What I want to hear from a Christian is an event they prayed for that happened (with evidence, of course) that scientists scratch their heads and say, "I cannot explain this." I did hear of something similar many years ago though I am not sure how solid the evidence is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Moorjani
What I think we need is a prayer probability map.

It would be able to calculate the odds of your prayer being answered in the affirmative.

For instance it could calculate the odd of your "help me find my keys" prayer compared to a prayer for "perpetual world peace"... and everything in between.

We could call it the "Prayertaculus".

Old 03-23-2024, 07:59 AM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What I think we need is a prayer probability map. It would be able to calculate the odds of your prayer being answered in the affirmative. For instance it could calculate the odd of your "help me find my keys" prayer compared to a prayer for "perpetual world peace"... and everything in between. We could call it the "Prayertaculus".
prayer is not about probability.
any more than character development and self-improvement are about probability.

probability is passive.
prayer is active.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-23-2024 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-23-2024, 08:42 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
prayer is not about probability.
any more than character development and self-improvement are about probability.

probability is passive.
prayer is active.
I believe you will find calculating the odds of prayers being answered in the affirmative IS probability.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:34 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Just how "critically thinking" is it to accept that our unique ability as the one species trying to make sense of it all just "emerged" from a Reality that does not have any ability to try to make sense of it all?
Critical thinking takes into account how our unique ability to attempt making sense of it all is limited, flawed and quite susceptible to influences and experiences that can easily overwhelm sound reason, logic and the truth that we CAN establish as such. Emotions and ignorance two of the more significant influences. Where our abilities and experiences go beyond what can be established as truth for all concerned, I simply plead ignorance and make no further attempt to make sense of it all.

I leave that to those who can properly reveal the truth of these matters in a manner that I view as most trustworthy. Takes a bit of patience unfortunately, but better patience than all manner of alternative speculation and claims of truth that can't in any similar way be well justified.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why would I not believe you?
Truths are truths, no matter, theist or atheist. It's common ground, just interpreted differently. Probability of life, more so, intelligent one, "simply developing out of some chemicals" is not zero. It is negative chance.
That's why life, as it is, is the main sign.
One is all and all is one and God is whole, one and all. Able to swing and land a hole in one every time!

Old 03-23-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Nuh, I do not rationalize unfathomable. I just accept it. I stopped rationalizing anything years ago. Why would I? Who am I to? What do I know to? What I need to know, is provided for me. What I do not need to know, why bother.
I just take it all as it is and thank for every morning I wake up, get out of bed, and am capable to speak to my angel. I call it Father, as god does not suits it. I never knew my father, so i found one this way.
Rationalizing is a headed thing, as OSHO said. I'm done with headed things.
Nothing that IS is contradictory, by the virtue of being. Everything that IS, is The Truth, by the virtue of being. Anything, that is not true, simply does not exist.
So why bother to rationalize something, that is not true?
It appears you don't know what it is to rationalize. The following words, yours, describe your rationalization...

"Probability of life, more so, intelligent one, "simply developing out of some chemicals" is not zero. It is negative chance. That's why life, as it is, is the main sign."

One I find altogether lacking from the standpoint of rationale that can be supported by the facts, reason, logic and what is commonly referred to as critical thinking.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
LerneMe, you need to empty your cup.
This is very liberating.
To feel liberated involves some sort of confinement or issue that feels restrictive. From which to escape. I have no such issue, so how is anything I do regarding this subject going to be very liberating for me? I simply "call 'em the way I see 'em," and the truth as I know it doesn't confine me or feel restrictive in any way.

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-23-2024 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality