Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2024, 09:48 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What I want to hear from a Christian is an event they prayed for that happened (with evidence, of course) that scientists scratch their heads and say, "I cannot explain this." I did hear of something similar many years ago though I am not sure how solid the evidence is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Moorjani
I think if you go back and review all the comments going back to the beginning of this thread, you will find at least one or two examples you ask for here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What I think we need is a prayer probability map.

It would be able to calculate the odds of your prayer being answered in the affirmative.

For instance it could calculate the odd of your "help me find my keys" prayer compared to a prayer for "perpetual world peace"... and everything in between.

We could call it the "Prayertaculus".
I like it, and I would be very interested to see what such a map would look like!

Let us know when your Prayertaculus is developed and ready for public viewing.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:53 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
To feel liberated involves some sort of confinement or issue that feels restrictive. I have no such issue, so how is anything I do regarding this subject going to be very liberating for me? I simply "call 'em the way I see 'em," and the truth as I know it doesn't confine me or feel restrictive in any way.
it bothers you and troubles you to the point you ruminate and stew over it as evidenced and demonstrated by your many posts and many threads. it bothers you to the point you mock belittle patronize condescend criticize and denigrate.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
prayer is not about probability.
any more than character development and self-improvement are about probability.

probability is passive.
prayer is active.
Probably more true than not, but the probability that something will happen as a result of something being done is always worthy of consideration when trying to establish cause and effect. The probability you will agree, for example, would seem fairly low given the opinions you typically express in this forum.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Probably more true than not, but the probability that something will happen as a result of something being done is always worthy of consideration when trying to establish cause and effect. The probability you will agree, for example, would seem fairly low given the opinions you typically express in this forum.
and that has nothing to do with prayer.
nothing stated above, has anything to do with prayer.

it (post above) is the mental equivalent of a dog running around in circles chasing its own tail,
and predictably goes nowhere.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-23-2024 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-23-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
it bothers you and troubles you to the point you ruminate and stew over it as evidenced and demonstrated by your many posts and many threads. it bothers you to the point you mock belittle patronize condescend criticize and denigrate.
As I have explained many times before, spending a little time going back-and-forth about some of these topics is nothing more than a bit of entertainment for me before I get on with the rest of my day. Back-and-forth, the sharing of different opinions and perspectives, even disagreement and objection if/when it seems appropriate. Sometimes interesting. Sometimes informative and educational. Sometimes insightful. Sometimes humorous. Sometimes a little sad, frustrating and hard to figure, but mostly just a bit of fun is all. For me anyway.

I find your constant source of heartburn about my comments somewhat entertaining as well, as evidenced by my many posts and threads which it seems you are inclined to follow and address on an ongoing basis.

None of which bothers me as you seem to think. Also as explained many times before, nothing I read or experience as a result of this forum affects me much at all one way or another. I appreciate the good, and consider the bad and ugly without any of the emotional drama you are always injecting with your comments.

Your contributions are part of the entertainment, however, and for this I am grateful. Keep it coming!

Old 03-23-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
and that has nothing to do with prayer.
nothing stated above, has anything to do with prayer.

it (post above) is the mental equivalent of a dog running around in circles chasing its own tail,
and predictably goes nowhere.
When my dog chases it's tail, which she does sometimes, she is always able to grab it. Why she bothers to do so, I don't know. I assume she is happy doing so, however, regardless whether you or I understand what she is doing or where she thinks she is going. For her anyway, it's not nowhere.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:37 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
prayer is not about probability.
any more than character development and self-improvement are about probability.

probability is passive.
prayer is active.
That's correct. Prayer is not about probability, because there is no probability that prayer will be answered by a non-existent god. It's all random chance whether your prayer will come true.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
When my dog chases it's tail, which she does sometimes, she is always able to grab it. Why she bothers to do so, I don't know. I assume she is happy doing so, however, regardless whether you or I understand what she is doing or where she thinks she is going. For her anyway, it's not nowhere.
so for you a dog chasing its tail makes sense and is reasonable. you leap to the defense of a dog and defend and champion the activity. even though you do not understand it.

but for you prayer does not make sense and you don't see it is reasonable. you denigrate and ridicule the activity. even though you do not understand it.

you hold dogs in such high regard as to say "for her anyway it's not nowhere."
but you do not hold people praying even with the same regard as you do a dog, and are unable to recognize "for them anyway it's not nowhere." duly noted. what is seen in your posts is respect and regard for a dog. contempt and ridicule for prayer.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-23-2024 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-23-2024, 11:15 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
One is all and all is one and God is whole, one and all. Able to swing and land a hole in one every time!
Nah. He was always stuck over in a sand trap called Egypt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality