Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 09:57 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol ... the phrase always sounded to me like raising children. My own little "vibration" is 44 now.

Or maybe like poker ... I'll see your vibration and raise it by four megahertz.
Mine turned 32 last week!

Old 08-30-2023, 11:46 AM

994 posts, read 563,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Then I guess it's a problem for you that I have read the Bible cover to cover and studied it formally at a Bible institute; or that I have read enough from followers of "the Secret" to be able to intelligently discuss and critique their ideas.

You on the other hand, lacking effective counter arguments, can only assume that myself and others here are ignorant fools who can't possibly understand your elevated and nuanced ideas or have any point to what we are saying.
Thank you. I wanted to click the thumbs up but apparantly I have done that for you in another thread.

I have never met someone who claims the bible helped them "raise their vibrations". It makes no more sense from that perspective as it does from the "new age" perspective. You can't "raise your vibrations", you can change your mind and learn to jump off the self destructive thought loop merry go round which will make your life easier, because you choose to think differently about your problems you are able to find different types of solutions and you also make differnt choices which changes your circumstances. There is nothing mystical about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 01:35 PM

501 posts, read 171,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree, also. Even though I no longer pray to God asking for anything (because I learned, as you, mordant, once so aptly pointed out, you get the same results whether you pray or not), in the end when I still did, I was down to only asking for guidance to make good decisions in my life. I did feel at times as though those prayers were answered, but in reality, I believe it set some wheels spinning in my subconscious and opened me up to opportunities or directions that I hadn't seen or thought of previously.

Maybe that's what is meant by "raising your vibration".
Christian mystic Meister Eckhart said, "If the only prayer you ever say is 'Thank you,' that will be enough." I never pray for anything, certainly nothing relating to my own material well-being. I pray frequently and at some length, however, simply to thank God for His creation and the blessings of being part of it, including many challenges that didn't seem like blessings at the time. This is what I believe Paul meant by praying constantly - constantly maintaining a prayerful attitude of gratitude.

I recall a philosophy professor asking the class, "Why doesn't God give me a new Dodge truck when I pray for one? Why wouldn't God want me to have a new Dodge truck?" His point, of course, was to expose the shallowness of this notion of prayer. I asked for a new Dodge truck and God didn't deliver, so the hell with prayer. I gave God an opportunity to prove Himself and He didn't come through on something as simple as a new truck, so the hell with Him too.

In at least five major junctures in my life, where things could have taken (and seemed to be taking) a turn for the disastrous, I was rescued by an utterly improbable sequence of events that mysteriously fell into place like the cogs of some huge machine, leaving me in far better circumstances than I would ever have thought to pray for. These were so improbable and complex, so completely beyond my own control, that even in the midst of them I had the very definite sense that "something supernatural is happening here." Each one enhanced my conviction that God was using these near-disastrous circumstances for His purposes and unequivocally demonstrating His reality by delivering me from them.

My experiences, of course, carry no weight with anyone else and would be laughed at by many if I were to describe them. My point is simply that by maintaining communion with God and a prayerful attitude of gratitude, I am confident He is watching over and protecting me with no need on my part to pray for a new Dodge truck or anything else.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:57 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
Christian mystic Meister Eckhart said, "If the only prayer you ever say is 'Thank you,' that will be enough." I never pray for anything, certainly nothing relating to my own material well-being. I pray frequently and at some length, however, simply to thank God for His creation and the blessings of being part of it, including many challenges that didn't seem like blessings at the time. This is what I believe Paul meant by praying constantly - constantly maintaining a prayerful attitude of gratitude.

I recall a philosophy professor asking the class, "Why doesn't God give me a new Dodge truck when I pray for one? Why wouldn't God want me to have a new Dodge truck?" His point, of course, was to expose the shallowness of this notion of prayer. I asked for a new Dodge truck and God didn't deliver, so the hell with prayer. I gave God an opportunity to prove Himself and He didn't come through on something as simple as a new truck, so the hell with Him too.

In at least five major junctures in my life, where things could have taken (and seemed to be taking) a turn for the disastrous, I was rescued by an utterly improbable sequence of events that mysteriously fell into place like the cogs of some huge machine, leaving me in far better circumstances than I would ever have thought to pray for. These were so improbable and complex, so completely beyond my own control, that even in the midst of them I had the very definite sense that "something supernatural is happening here." Each one enhanced my conviction that God was using these near-disastrous circumstances for His purposes and unequivocally demonstrating His reality by delivering me from them.

My experiences, of course, carry no weight with anyone else and would be laughed at by many if I were to describe them. My point is simply that by maintaining communion with God and a prayerful attitude of gratitude, I am confident He is watching over and protecting me with no need on my part to pray for a new Dodge truck or anything else.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:19 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,688,601 times
Quote:
Good, because almost all my prayer is just Thank-You, God for (fill in the blank) Nature. I do sometimes pray for others---even if it is "just" positive vibrations going out there somewhere.

I do have a habit of getting locked into a negative feedback loop, so over and over I say to God "you take this burden". Shockingly, it did seem to help! Nothing changed but my peace of mind and that's everything.

I threw away all my self-help books a decade ago. What a waste of time/money/energy. It is indeed a win-win for the gurus. They can't lose.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:33 PM

20,104 posts, read 13,555,795 times
Quote:

There is much to be said for the so-called "attitude of gratitude" although it needn't be directed to any particular person (or Person). We are evolved to pay disproportionate attention to threats (real and perceived) as that is a survival advantage. We have to make an EFFORT to notice, much less pay attention to, the boons in our lives.

But what theists fail to recognize is that this works just as well with or without a particular object or personification to direct it to. Their operant conditioning is to always direct it at the deity of choice, so they assume that's WHY it works. When in fact it is just compensating for what one might call overly pessimistic wiring.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:50 AM

29,558 posts, read 9,774,075 times
I don't know about vibrations and all that, but I would not put all coaches in the same negative category...

Having once served as an Executive Coach, I can attest to the value of coaching people that in my case was for the purpose of helping them to achieve their career potential. For working professionals this includes or should include working toward a "life balance" that ultimately improves one's overall quality of life. AKA happiness. No vibes, smoke and mirrors or hukus pukus, but helping people to achieve the right perspective about what goes on around them, in life, can be a significant part of doing better than without.

Also interesting to note that from the get go, some people will accept, embrace and apply the help a coach can offer while others won't or can't. Why some do and some don't?

This too is an interesting question a coach is trained to address in a variety of ways depending on the individual, but a little too involved to get into without posting a comment that would prove too long for just about anyone. Including me.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:04 AM

1,240 posts, read 556,633 times
So weird that hardly anyone actually posted about the LOA - instead the thread is about prayer and coaching.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:20 AM

43,336 posts, read 18,453,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
There will be no convincing you.

Each person vibrates at a particular frequency and attracts things from that frequency. Everything is energy and energy frequency can be measured (see Schumann Resonance, EMF machines, etc.)

You can learn more about it by watching Abraham Hicks and Bashar videos (Bashar presents weirdly, but the content is good).

What made you even think about this if it's not something you "believe" is "real?"
Probably because many people don't believe in it...it's all that "wu-wu" stuff.
Most people understand the tangible while few understand the intangible.

Optimistic outlook, positive attitude and always being grateful for what you have.
Mindfulness, yoga, meditation, a zen outlook on life, not worrying about things you have no control over are a few ways.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:34 AM

16,820 posts, read 5,025,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
So weird that hardly anyone actually posted about the LOA - instead the thread is about prayer and coaching.
So where did the 6 million Jews of the Holocaust go wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality