Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 11:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 5,003,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
The hyperbole is strong.

There is no way I would consider conversing with you.
It is not hyperbole, cults and woo sellers exist, and have done so through history. And you are using their methods of claiming superior knowledge about something you are not providing evidence for, and then treating those who question those claims with contempt while evading providing any evidence for those claims.

Even if there is some truth to your claims without evidence, the fact that many woo claims have been sold to the gullible means your claims, whether true or not, should also be treated with suspicion until you provide evidence for them. Only suckers ignore evidence we already have, and apparently there is an allegorical sucker born every minute.

I have provided 6 million tragic pieces of evidence why it probably does not work, which you did not address, you have provided no evidence, not even recommended links for us to read. It is not our fault you are unable to back up your claims or refute our arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
You always say these sorts of things while your actual posts consistently reveal a deep inner anger, a slavish devotion to a very one-dimensional naturalism, a dismissive arrogance toward anyone who holds differing views, and pretty much a wholesale violation of your supposed motto that "If you don't know the other side of the argument as well as your own, you don't know your argument as well as you should."

I give considerforamoment credit for seeing through the act.
Instead of attacking the straw man, you could have provided the links or sources LearnMe pointed out were missing.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
How do you have the faintest idea as to whether "this works just as well with or without a particular object or personification to direct it to"?

Certainly, an "attitude of gratitude" and "positive thinking" and saying 100 affirmations a day may well have psychological and practical benefits even for a naturalistic atheist.

What I and others are talking about are complex, multi-faceted events, many aspects of which were beyond our control and were strongly indicative of a guiding and protecting intelligence. I experienced these events; you did not. I assure you, the pickles in which I found myself had nothing to do with "overly pessimistic wiring," nor were the complex, multi-faceted events of deliverance mere "compensating" on my part.

My point was not that prayer with an attitude of gratitude has produced what seemed like beneficial results. My point was that I pray with an attitude of gratitude because I have experienced complex, multi-faceted deliverance, inexplicable on the basis of anything I did or set in motion, at a number of critical junctures in my life. My point was that I don't feel a need to pray for specifics because God knows and meets my needs without petitionary prayer.

This is a favorite tactic of nonbelievers: "Oh, yes, I know just what you're talking about. I have the same experience, but it has nothing to do with God."

No, you do not have the same experience.
This alleged guiding and protecting intelligence certainly appears to hate Jews, the Ukrainians, and people living in a large part of Africa.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Op here. This thread is out of control. No problem it's all good. Law of attraction for me comes down to a good education, decent looking and good emotion IQ. That's the secret to life. No hocus pocus affirmations of how I got this and it's coming my way. I got to read this thread completely cause it's quite good.
I agree, although I believe it is more complicated. For example, there is having the right connections, and not giving up when one has frequent failures. I would argue the law of attraction is simply playing the odds and winning, with no hocus pocus required.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is great to see this stated so clearly and concisely. I wholeheartedly agree.

my observation is that those who post using the phrases "woo chasers" "wooists" "woo woo" "woo mongers" "woo-ism" "woo peddlers"
are not capable of discussion that meets the bare minimum criteria for me of being worth interacting with.
It is a word. That is it. It represents the many fake religions, spiritual paths, creationism, snake oil sales men, new age scams, usw. It is a short cut, nothing more.

Woo exists, which raises the question why you object to the word?

Quote:
if they were, then they wouldn't resort to using those phrases.
A non sequitur, one can point to the errors and lies in such practices regardless of which word one uses. Perhaps if you stopped whining about the use of the word, and address the actual issues.

Quote:
it reminds me of toddlers who latch onto a phrase such as "dumb doo doo poopy pants" and are so enamored of the phrase and so proud of themself for interjecting it whenever possible into any conversation. Age appropriate for toddlers. However no need for me to engage in conversation as a grown up with those who demonstrate the same affect and behavior.

so i don't. and that's why.
Shall we list the number of phrases you have latched on to and frequently just throw in to a thread instead of discussing the issues like an adult would? Phrases such as 'it shows a lack of logic' or 'an absence of critical thinking'?

Old 09-08-2023, 02:57 AM

Quote:
i'd say that calling what others post as "emotional garbage" and "unjustified garbage"
falls squarely in the category of both "want to insult" and "rather than sit at the adult table"
It could. It could also fall into the category of accurate observation.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:44 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,745,466 times
Quote:
i'd say that calling what others post as "emotional garbage" and "unjustified garbage"
falls squarely in the category of both "want to insult" and "rather than sit at the adult table"
When garbage is thrown directly my way, I decide whether to duck and ignore or throw some back...

When I decide to throw some back, I'm essentially excusing myself from the adult table to get a good aim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality