Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 08:30 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,298,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
How do I manifest the winning lottery numbers? If these gurus and coaches are so good why don't they think and believe the mega millions numbers are mine to come true as winnings for me.
You don't get it. It's not about "material gain". It's bigger than that; much bigger than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 08:41 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Pure fiction.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:32 PM

20,019 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Pure fiction.
Hey, BF -- we are in total agreement! Hell just froze over!

Old 08-29-2023, 12:08 PM

983 posts, read 546,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
One of the most unsavory aspects of the whole "you make your own reality" trope is that it is inherently, soullessly cruel. If people make their own realty then they are at fault for all their pain and sorrow; it is self-inflicted. If they "won't believe", it is their own shortcoming. Conversely if your life has gone well, you can congratulate yourself for your own brilliance. It works great for the fortunate, not so great for others.
There are some times when the crap you are experiencing is self induced. That is why there is the saying "if everyone you meet is an *******, consider that you are probly the *******" We all have times in our lives that are difficult and our attitude and resilience make the difference between finding our way out of it or not.

As for The Secret, it is a bunch of hooie, based on selling a book to people who want a magic way to have everything they want. It is useless and the anecdotes in it leave out a lot of details to make it seem like they are talking about mind over matter. Just like prayer, the law of attraction only works if you take action towards what ever your goal is. "god I please let me win the lottery" God says, "I can't because you haven't bought a ticket."

You can use it to focus as long as you do it in a way that you are not sitting around waiting for some magical being to hand you what ever you ask for. However affirmations can work when you are reasonable, recognize a thought pattern that you need to change and accept that you are the only one who can change the way you think. Saying a prayer or affirmation over and over in an attempt to change your environment without actually changing anything you think or do is wasted.

Old 08-29-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
There are some times when the crap you are experiencing is self induced. That is why there is the saying "if everyone you meet is an *******, consider that you are probly the *******" We all have times in our lives that are difficult and our attitude and resilience make the difference between finding our way out of it or not.

As for The Secret, it is a bunch of hooie, based on selling a book to people who want a magic way to have everything they want. It is useless and the anecdotes in it leave out a lot of details to make it seem like they are talking about mind over matter. Just like prayer, the law of attraction only works if you take action towards what ever your goal is. "god I please let me win the lottery" God says, "I can't because you haven't bought a ticket."

You can use it to focus as long as you do it in a way that you are not sitting around waiting for some magical being to hand you what ever you ask for. However affirmations can work when you are reasonable, recognize a thought pattern that you need to change and accept that you are the only one who can change the way you think. Saying a prayer or affirmation over and over in an attempt to change your environment without actually changing anything you think or do is wasted.
I certainly agree. It is not as if there's absolutely nothing to positive (or negative!) thinking. But how one thinks is a response to adversity or need, to set yourself up basically to have a stronger tendency to achieve goals and to draw attention to what's actionable. But it does not "manifest" or manufacture money, favor, influence or love for you, just because you want it. You still have to act.

Old 08-29-2023, 02:01 PM

88,609 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Saying a prayer or affirmation over and over in an attempt to change your environment without actually changing anything you think or do is wasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I certainly agree. It is not as if there's absolutely nothing to positive (or negative!) thinking. But how one thinks is a response to adversity or need, to set yourself up basically to have a stronger tendency to achieve goals and to draw attention to what's actionable. But it does not "manifest" or manufacture money, favor, influence or love for you, just because you want it. You still have to act.
I agree, also. Even though I no longer pray to God asking for anything (because I learned, as you, mordant, once so aptly pointed out, you get the same results whether you pray or not), in the end when I still did, I was down to only asking for guidance to make good decisions in my life. I did feel at times as though those prayers were answered, but in reality, I believe it set some wheels spinning in my subconscious and opened me up to opportunities or directions that I hadn't seen or thought of previously.

Maybe that's what is meant by "raising your vibration".

Old 08-29-2023, 02:03 PM

1,212 posts, read 538,024 times
It "works" due to physics. Period. Everything is energy. Everything vibrates at certain frequency. If you match a frequency, with an intention to attract something (and even without an intention) you will get back whatever.

We are all just mirrors, basically.

I don't think the people who've participated on this thread so far have much of a clue about how it all works. I've been studying it for years.

If you want to be happy, raise your vibration. How do you do that? Listen to 528 HZ on repeat (and other frequencies - see YouTube for specifics), eat organic foods, drink filtered water, get in touch with your feelings and process them - let them move through you - No matter what happens, find a way to think about some aspect of the situation from a positive perspective. Be Here Now (Ram Dass).

If you find yourself in a negative thought loop, "reach for a better feeling thought" (Abraham Hicks). If you have a terrible day, go to sleep with the intention to wake up and reset yourself into a positive framework.

Surround yourself with stuff that makes you happy - stuff you love. Follow your bliss or whatever holds the most excitement (Bashar), etc., etc. It's a practice. You don't just read a book and then you've got it. You have to retrain yourself to have be more self-aware and aware of your environment and others.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol ... the phrase always sounded to me like raising children. My own little "vibration" is 44 now.

Or maybe like poker ... I'll see your vibration and raise it by four megahertz.

Old 08-30-2023, 03:10 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree, also. Even though I no longer pray to God asking for anything (because I learned, as you, mordant, once so aptly pointed out, you get the same results whether you pray or not), in the end when I still did, I was down to only asking for guidance to make good decisions in my life. I did feel at times as though those prayers were answered, but in reality, I believe it set some wheels spinning in my subconscious and opened me up to opportunities or directions that I hadn't seen or thought of previously.

That's precisely what it means. None of the people in this thread decrying LOA understand anything about it or have ever cracked open The Bible.

Old 08-30-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's precisely what it means. None of the people in this thread decrying LOA understand anything about it or have ever cracked open The Bible.
Then I guess it's a problem for you that I have read the Bible cover to cover and studied it formally at a Bible institute; or that I have read enough from followers of "the Secret" to be able to intelligently discuss and critique their ideas.

You on the other hand, lacking effective counter arguments, can only assume that myself and others here are ignorant fools who can't possibly understand your elevated and nuanced ideas or have any point to what we are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality