Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 03:24 PM

11,668 posts, read 6,094,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
As Igor Blevin suggests, the notion of eternity is so far out of the human frame of reference that it's impossible to grasp. Trying to conceive of what heaven might be like is thus an exercise in futility. A non-material, eternal realm would be an entirely different reality, an entirely different mode of existence, from anything to which we can relate so long as we are in our present existence. Again and again, Near Death Experiencers use the phrase "impossible to put into words" to describe their very brief and limited glimpses of the beyond.

Almost all human notions eventually start to sound pretty boring when stretched to eternity. Sitting at the feet of Jesus for ... eternity? Surrounded by nothing but shiny, happy, loving people for ... eternity? Eek. (I used to love the art in Jehovah's Witnesses materials where heaven always looked exactly like some utopian version of 1957 upper-middle-class America. It looked superficially appealing, but think about it for ... eternity? Eek.)

My only notions are that (1) if we retain our individual identities, which I believe we do, personal growth continues in heaven; (2) what we are in heaven has to be so different from what we are as humans that we simply can't conceive of what the heavenly mode of existence might be like; (3) it has to be some sort of "eternal now," so the notions of tedium and boredom, even the tedium and boredom of endless bliss, simply don't apply.

As is the case with many problematical religious issues, reincarnation provides a tidy solution. To achieve spiritual perfection might well require a near-eternity of incarnations. When, if ever, such perfection were achieved, the individual soul might then be absorbed into the God consciousness. Whatever we experience after death would then be just a pit stop as we review what we've learned and await the next incarnation. Just thinking out loud - I have no firm notions or expectations.
I will say "great post" because the extremely stingy rep Algorithm, won't let me click again.

If a brilliant person makes 50 good points in a row, he is punished by being denied 49 of those points because you can only rep him once.

At the same time, rep is silly and useless, so there is that. It is just a dumb ego feeder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 03:25 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Sleep!

Wait...isn't that what actually happens?

Who knew, we were all going to "Heaven" the whole time anyway. No need for religion/God/Jesus/Allah/etc.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:14 PM

17,835 posts, read 13,754,245 times
Heaven would be like hanging out with your sister and her husband for eternity.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:22 PM

529 posts, read 185,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I was thinking about this last night. Wouldn't it be lovely if, in heaven someone had a wonderful memory of you of something you did together, you got to do the memory with them again? In this case I was thinking of the wonderful time my grandparents spent with us at Christmas.

But it made me wonder, what do people think heaven is actually like? Please don't get into a discussion of whether heaven exists or not. This question is strictly for people WHO BELIEVE IN SOME FORM OF HEAVEN..
"Oh my God, Grizrl you made it home! Let me give you a hug! Everyone, Grizrl made it back! Welcome home dear, we love you!" Imagine as you arrive in Heaven, Angels and family rush to greet you and hug you so of dearly! You will be overwhelmed with the love and joy that comes from all that greet you. You may not feel like your special, but everyone will make you feel like you are. That is the beauty of unconditional love they have for you.

Everyone there feels like your closest dear family member and you will never feel alone again. There are three themes in Heaven: Love, Family, and a home you came back to from a wonderful King that loves you dearly. This is what I experienced when I died and briefly went to Heaven. It's the most awe inspiring beautiful place where you belong to family that loves you forever! Hugs!!!

Old 08-09-2023, 06:30 PM

2,786 posts, read 2,687,387 times
Enter Paradise, you and your wives, in happiness.
Trays of gold and cups will be passed round them;
(there will be) therein all that inner-selves could desire,
and all that eyes could delight in and you will abide therein forever.
This is the Paradise which you have been made to inherit because of your deeds which you used to do
(in the life of the world).

Old 08-09-2023, 07:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 862,960 times
I believe that the Bible says something to the effect that our minds can’t even or are not even capable of imagining the greatness of heaven. I believe heaven isn’t a place I believe it’s probably the entire universe or probably endless universes with countless amazing places created by God. Just my theory.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:44 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,640,410 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this last night. Wouldn't it be lovely if, in heaven someone had a wonderful memory of you of something you did together, you got to do the memory with them again? In this case I was thinking of the wonderful time my grandparents spent with us at Christmas.

But it made me wonder, what do people think heaven is actually like? Please don't get into a discussion of whether heaven exists or not. This question is strictly for people WHO BELIEVE IN SOME FORM OF HEAVEN..
I read a book along time ago called Revealing Heaven and the author saw alot of the same things we have here they've always had like restaurants, amusement parks, movie theaters, universities, etc. Tons of activity to keep busy for eternity. So that's always made sense to me as the Bible says there is nothing new under the sun. Now I think of Heaven like a tropical paradise version of Earth.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:53 PM

23,206 posts, read 10,500,373 times
Quote:

Hebrews 8
For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

3 kingdoms, that is the pattern, I rather say 3 outcomes for 3 books.

Its an organized army, and the very few people unlike me who become brethren of Christ get a new car with wheels inside of wheels with his own army with him, a part of him, but are not him. An overcomer recieves all the promises, and now he is to rule all nations with a rod of iron when he gets his own nations.

Ruling such a nation is done from within as Christ became the head and spirit of millions of brides claiming to hear her husband's voice.

The two are one, a son of God, brethren of Christ becomes the head over his own bride made up of his own orderly army that are a part of him, and he could be any of them.

Think of Jesus coming in a great chariot of God, and Jesus collects all his bride and the two are made one moving as one, hearing as one, and all in orderly fashion as any good general like Moses or Jesus would do.

Jesus was a general sitting his multitudes down just like Moses fashioned the 4 camps around the tabernacle.

Thats my opinion of the greatest in the kingdom, and the least in the kingdom must be us, we are the kingdom, but look how we are fallen, we are the lowest form of the kingdom of heaven because we all fell here, in hell.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:54 AM
nng

695 posts, read 290,378 times
I just hope it won't be boring. I hope it will be a fun and adventurous place to explore. endless joy and experiences which never get boring. I feel that we are all fellow travelers here that when we die we'll meet the maker. I believe we get our own karma, I believe if your basically a good person, haven't seriously harmed an innocent person, you get to go to heaven. And enjoy bliss.

Old 08-10-2023, 02:29 PM

2,786 posts, read 2,687,387 times
Verily, the dwellers of the Paradise, that Day, will be busy with joyful things.
They and their wives will be in pleasant shade, reclining on thrones.
They will have therein fruits (of all kinds) and all that they ask for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality