Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 08:50 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It isn't going to be a tough sell. The tide can no longer be reversed.
You should probably qualify your statement by adding "in your lifetime".

The tide will most certainly shift over the next century or half-century when the world experiences its upcoming population collapse and there is no longer enough manpower to maintain the infrastructure and logistics that support international trade -- especially with regard to agriculture and medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 09:12 AM

50,783 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

The tide will most certainly shift over the next century or half-century when the world experiences its upcoming population collapse and there is no longer enough manpower to maintain the infrastructure and logistics that support international trade -- especially with regard to agriculture and medicine.
"most certainly"...nah

Old 08-08-2023, 09:18 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Why is that a tough sell? A compelling value proposition should not be a "tough sell".

I think you will say something along the lines of "because people are stubborn / willful" but in your mind is there any sense in which the problem lies with the system or ideology rather than the people?
The article said the reason. It's because people have busy lives. It used to be that our lives revolved around church. It's for that reason school events didn't happen on Wednesday or Sunday nights. Now? Not so much. Wednesday night is like any other nights. People build their lives around the school now, not church. It's going to be hard to try to convince folks to reorder their lives.

Quote:
I am sure there are individual churches that provide the social function of refuge and comfort; I just grew up in a town where the Bible church split off from the Baptists years prior over the color of carpeting in the new sanctuary.
I'm sorry you didn't experience a good church. I really am.
Quote:

It wasn't, of course, REALLY about that, most likely; some piddling dispute like that just exposed existing fault lines. Which makes me wonder if any church can sustainably overcome human nature to provide this sort of utopian "all for one, one for all" sort of ethos, particularly in affluent, ruggedly individualistic 'Murica.

Yes. That's often the way it happens. But not all churches split. Imagine if the people in that church had truly chosen to serve Christ and love one another, rather than their own petty desires. The fact that that sort of thing happens doesn't mean it is always that way.

What I'm saying is that we have to order our lives around SOMETHING. Jesus was right when he said we can't serve 2 masters. We can't put 100% of our energy into everything, so inevitably SOMETHING will suffer. It's either we put all our energy into church, or something else....or we kind of dabble in both and do neither one well.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:
"most certainly"...nah
Poverty is the default condition of mankind.

Do you think that our current aberration of absurd material prosperity and comfort is sustainable indefinitely, especially considering the fact that we no longer reproduce at replacement level?

Old 08-08-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Poverty is the default condition of mankind.

Do you think that our current aberration of absurd material prosperity and comfort is sustainable indefinitely, especially considering the fact that we no longer reproduce at replacement level?
I suppose religionists once thought the level of 'life in the church' was indefinitely sustainable, too. Guess what.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I suppose religionists once thought the level of 'life in the church' was indefinitely sustainable, too. Guess what.
Your outlook here strikes me as incredibly short-sighted and one-dimensional. Unfortunately, not surprising given the generation you are a part of -- through no fault of your own of course.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Your outlook here strikes me as incredibly short-sighted and one-dimensional. Unfortunately, not surprising given the generation you are a part of -- through no fault of your own of course.
Oh...you're catholic...I'm sure you have enough blame and guilt to toss it around at almost target you don't like.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:04 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:

That's fantastical. Then again, this is the Religion Forum.

Regardless, that will not drive people to religion. If anything, it will accelerate the demise of religion.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's fantastical.
What, specifically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Regardless, that will not drive people to religion. If anything, it will accelerate the demise of religion.
What makes you say that?

Old 08-08-2023, 10:25 AM

37,455 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
... So in a new book, according to the article, the author is proposing that the problem is that the church doesn't ask ENOUGH of people. By this, he means there needs to be some sort of call to "greater mutuality" wherein the church somehow returns to its roots of providing refuge for people.
Our church emphasizes the Book of the Acts of the Apostles as being the early 'original' church, we go through this book in fine detail seeing what those congregations did.

I do not see 'providing refuge' to its congregation as a root of the church.

I can see where in our history, Moderator cut: Political ref American churches had a far greater role in the community. Most towns had a 'poor farm', where the poor, destitute, widows, and orphans were welcome. These farms were organized by mutual cooperation among all local churches. Boys and girls learned trade skills, so that as they reached adulthood each of them was equipped to economically provide for themselves.

Moderator cut: Political statement

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-08-2023 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Keep that sort of thing in P&OC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality