Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 08:59 AM

51,040 posts, read 24,537,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, because 1) we have no evidence the universe has human feelings, 2) we have no known mechanism for how a universe can have human feelings, 3) bugs, bacteria and beasts that must kill others to survive is not the sign of a caring universe, 4) we know if you were to go anywhere else than on the surface of the earth without protective clothing, you will die, and 5) most of us know we are 5a) weak, 5b) communal, and 5c) apes.

Perhaps if you think about what you are posting instead of just blindly saying the opposite, people would take you more seriously.
Very nice summary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yet those people who can not have children are still driven to have sex. Why is that? The same for the others on your list, they still want to have sex. Because this desire is innate.

Again you misrepresent me. I never said joy, empathy, and kindness and other humane qualities were not part of human nature. I implicitly included them when I said the negatives were also part of our nature.

Can you be consistent for once? First they are innate, now one gets them from religion.

Apart from the hyperbole, yes, you are correct. Most religious people also have a deep attachment. Only you appear to have a problem with it. If only most religious people were as wise as you.

No, it is about how to 'do unto others'. That it's ultimate goal is self protection does not negate that it is about how to treat others.

Her army destroyed, General CB crawls away, dying of her wounds, and with a last defiant croak, cries "I ... cough, cough, I won, the war is over".
Except, of course, she will not move on.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:10 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,786,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I came across someone in another area of the forum that seemed to believe that "The Golden Rule" was unique to Christianity, or maybe just a statement in the Bible in general. I didn't bother attempting to educate this member, as it didn't seem worthwhile or that it would go anywhere.

I learned some time ago, that many religions have that "rule", and although worded not exactly, it amounts to the exact same thing. The "rule" has a very interesting history. I chose this article(has a list of 17), although there are many others:

"Mentioned as early as 3,000 BC".................I do think, not mentioned enough anymore. Whether one has any religious beliefs or not, it is a worthwhile endeavor as a member of the human race.

Golden Rule
This about the Golden Rule and what you wish to point out here has been pointed out at least a few times in the past that I remember in this forum. Always amazing and a little disappointing that no matter what the source of confusion or lack of knowledge that some people can express in this forum, explanation and correction never really puts these truths to bed. Somewhere down the line there will always be someone repeating the same mistaken beliefs, assumptions, misrepresentations and flat out falsehoods. Again and yet again...

Old 07-23-2023, 05:46 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,005,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
This about the Golden Rule and what you wish to point out here has been pointed out at least a few times in the past that I remember in this forum. Always amazing and a little disappointing that no matter what the source of confusion or lack of knowledge that some people can express in this forum, explanation and correction never really puts these truths to bed. Somewhere down the line there will always be someone repeating the same mistaken beliefs, assumptions, misrepresentations and flat out falsehoods. Again and yet again...
Leviticus 19:18 is unique to the Bible ( aka Golden Rule )
Jesus ENLARGED upon the Golden Rule at John 13:34-35
We are to have the same unselfish self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, More than the old Golden Rule.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:30 PM

16,116 posts, read 7,111,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
We are to have the same unselfish self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, More than the old Golden Rule.
That makes sense, considering the not so golden rule is all about me me me. Loving the neighbor would mean then just do the right thing regardless.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
You folks can't even manage the Golden Rule, let alone improve upon it.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That makes sense, considering the not so golden rule is all about me me me. Loving the neighbor would mean then just do the right thing regardless.
I told you folks she'd be back.

You've added nothing new to your previous comments. And that has already been rejected by almost every other poster.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:30 PM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I told you folks she'd be back.

You've added nothing new to your previous comments. And that has already been rejected by almost every other poster.
You have to admit it's a unique, albeit sour, perspective.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You have to admit it's a unique, albeit sour, perspective.
What I'll admit is that my twelve year old students understood it far better than one particular poster. It was a theme we came back to repeatedly in our morning annoucements in order to help students learn why bullying was so inappropriate.

"Sour" is the wrong 's' word...selfish would be more accurate.

Old 07-24-2023, 03:27 AM

16,831 posts, read 5,034,588 times
Quote:
I am done with this simplistic selfish statement that has no depth. No more response from me about this. Move on.
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality