Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 11:22 PM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

It must be the most important moral concept man has ever produced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 11:32 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What if you like it rough?
This is the problem with the Golden Rule.

I have frequently done unto others as I would have done unto me, and still ended up in hot water.

The amended version, "Treat others as they would like to be treated", might fix this, as long as you are an imaginative, empathetic person. But I still think falling back on good ole reciprocity is probably better for most people.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:04 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

I have frequently done unto others as I would have done unto me, and still ended up in hot water.

The amended version, "Treat others as they would like to be treated", might fix this, as long as you are an imaginative, empathetic person. But I still think falling back on good ole reciprocity is probably better for most people.
Yes.
The problem with the not so golden rule is when acted upon the focus is on me me me me. What is good enough for me is good enough for you. If blood transfusion is not good for me, it is not good for you. See how that works?
Instead how about this : you helped me out when I had a flat tire. Next time I see someone in need I will stop and help them to pay you back. That spreads good will and kindness.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-21-2023 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 07-21-2023, 08:35 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

The idea is that doing unto others as you would have done to you is being aware and considerate of THEIR wants and needs as you would like others to do for you, not projecting the particulars of what you would want unto others.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-21-2023 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-21-2023, 09:29 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes.
The problem with the not so golden rule is when acted upon the focus is on me me me me.
You are simply the standard by which you measure how to treat other people. If for you, the focus is on you, you are doing it wrong.

One should never do that to another which one regards as injurious to one's own self. This, in brief, is the rule of dharma. Other behavior is due to selfish desires.
— Brihaspati, Mahabharata

Quote:
What is good enough for me is good enough for you. If blood transfusion is not good for me, it is not good for you. See how that works?
People force others to have blood transfusions where you live?

Quote:
Instead how about this : you helped me out when I had a flat tire. Next time I see someone in need I will stop and help them to pay you back. That spreads good will and kindness.
Ironically, helping others because you want people to help you is the golden rule you are attacking.

Old 07-21-2023, 10:02 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The idea is that doing unto others as you would have done to you is being aware and considerate of THEIR wants and needs as you would like others to do for you, not projecting the particulars of what you would want unto others.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-21-2023 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: My typo

Old 07-21-2023, 10:14 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
Quote:
Yes.
The problem with the not so golden rule is when acted upon the focus is on me me me me. What is good enough for me is good enough for you. If blood transfusion is not good for me, it is not good for you. See how that works?
That sounds more like Paying it Forward than the Golden Rule...

Old 07-21-2023, 10:14 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I know. Who would have thought that such a simple principle would so confounding to some people? But it certianly explains some people's posting habits.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-21-2023 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: My typo

Old 07-21-2023, 10:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
It is still all about me me me. Doing unto others is doing without quid pro quo, doing an act of kindness just because. Like those who buy coffee for the person waiting in line behind him. Just because. For nothing more than creating delight.
Our neighbor who has a workshop where he creates magic, created a special hook for one of of my kitchen appliance. I can never do that for him. That is generosity with no expectation.
The Golden Rule is no match.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-21-2023 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: My typo

Old 07-21-2023, 11:20 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know. Who would have thought that such a simple principle would so confounding to some people? But it certianly explains some people's posting habits.
Indeed. Human beings have an unlimited capacity for deliberate misunderstanding.

I also believe we went around the mulberry bush with this topic almost a year ago exactly.

Quote:

If you have half a brain and don’t myopically assume that people have the exact same wants and needs as yourself under every circumstance at every time, the golden rule is fine. I want to respect others, and I want others to respect me. That’s not a ham-fisted form of social bribery as some would have you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality