Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 03:55 PM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Like you, I am astounded that it has endured for over two millennia and counting!!! We are a perverse species indeed!
I don't get it Mystic. I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 04:03 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Salvation from what?
Only about 60% of people believe in hell these days, and that includes Christians.
Still too many though.
Belief in God I can kinda truck with.
Belief in hell? Come on people. It's 2023, not the middle ages.
There are still quite a few end of the world conspiracy theory believers out there too.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:49 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
He can present himself IN the words that inspired people to write them down. Even years later. It had apparently changed them. Imagine a time of gory vengeance, when an eye for an eye was the norm, to be taught to forgive. Turn the other cheek. Who would have thunk such a thing? Only Jesus.
Then why aren't you a christian?

Old 07-06-2023, 04:55 PM

995 posts, read 783,353 times
Quote:
What is Urantia? what does it mean?
It's the name of our planet,

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...istory-urantia

Old 07-06-2023, 04:57 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
There is a big difference between just describing what someone DID and interpreting what someone said or why they did it. The former is far more likely to be accurate and less prone to miscommunication. Interpretation (especially WHY someone did what they did) is far more prone to misunderstanding.
However, there is an assumption that the description that what someone DID is entirely accurate, which is questionable to say the least. The very fact that there have been numerous translations, additions, and subtractions to the NT gospels throughout history should give pause to that belief, not to mention the political influences driving a particular narrative that benefited certain rulers, not to mention religious leaders of various denominations.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:25 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
However, there is an assumption that the description that what someone DID is entirely accurate, which is questionable to say the least. The very fact that there have been numerous translations, additions, and subtractions to the NT gospels throughout history should give pause to that belief, not to mention the political influences driving a particular narrative that benefited certain rulers, not to mention religious leaders of various denominations.
I agree completely, but the match of the "mind of Christ" to the consciousness I encountered was compelling. It makes little difference to me what the origin of the narrative was since it accurately depicted the consciousness of God which I "know" exists. People ask me how I know it is God. My answer is, "What else would you call a CONSCIOUS Reality responsible for the existence of absolutely everything???"

Old 07-06-2023, 11:14 PM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
He can present himself IN the words that inspired people to write them down. Even years later. It had apparently changed them. Imagine a time of gory vengeance, when an eye for an eye was the norm, to be taught to forgive. Turn the other cheek. Who would have thunk such a thing? Only Jesus.
Yet you do not turn the other cheek. People do not, because it is a bad philosophy which only makes sense in an end of times scenario where the meek will be the winners.

And just like you do not turn the other cheek, you do not follow ALL the OT laws, as Jesus commanded, which ironically says take an eye for an eye.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That's an interesting question. AFAIK, there have been NO direct quotes by Jesus ever recorded. Everything that has been written about him has been hearsay, and some of it is even decades old or older. How, then, could Jesus present Himself in the Bible?
Hearsay or invented.

Poor Mark, inventing these witty comebacks in his allegorical 'biography', and Jesus getting the credit.

Old 07-06-2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
There is a big difference between just describing what someone DID and interpreting what someone said or why they did it. The former is far more likely to be accurate and less prone to miscommunication. Interpretation (especially WHY someone did what they did) is far more prone to misunderstanding.
So Jesus deprived a pig farmer of his living, walked on water, and fed multitudes in the desert? I thought you said the supernatural did not exist?

Old 07-06-2023, 11:58 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yet you do not turn the other cheek. People do not, because it is a bad philosophy which only makes sense in an end of times scenario where the meek will be the winners.

And just like you do not turn the other cheek, you do not follow ALL the OT laws, as Jesus commanded, which ironically says take an eye for an eye.
I have brought this up before, albeit described differently. The Beatitudes are -- to a large extent -- great for the next life...not so great for this life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality