Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 07:26 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
I'm a fundamentalist when it comes to food. I absolutely have to eat, no Ifs, Ands or Buts. Breatharianism just doesn't work for me. LOL!
Your excused. Bon Appétit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 08:29 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
So true. And I try hard to remain open to others and to avoid my own propensity to fundamentalism.

The goal of distinguishing between strongly held beliefs and opinions, and fundamentalism requires, for me, an open mind, humility, courage, and respect for others.
What participating in this forum has taught me is fundamentalism can be benign, especially when one owns up to it, recognizes it, and has the wisdom to refrain from throwing rocks at glass houses. It is when one is oblivious to one’s own fundamentalism, yet derides and is openly hostile to others and calls out their fundiness, that it becomes ugly. And stupid.
Fundamentalism is itself an opinion. Like beauty, in the beholders eyes. Nobody has the truth, because there is only One. Everything else is mithya.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What participating in this forum has taught me is fundamentalism can be benign, especially when one owns up to it, recognizes it, and has the wisdom to refrain from throwing rocks at glass houses. It is when one is oblivious to one’s own fundamentalism, yet derides and is openly hostile to others and calls out their fundiness, that it becomes ugly. And stupid.
Fundamentalism is itself an opinion. Like beauty, in the beholders eyes. Nobody has the truth, because there is only One. Everything else is mithya.
I would only add that even benign fundamentalism when practiced with courtesy and respect doesn’t work for me. Just talking about me now. Not others.

Courtesy and respect is always pleasant.

Harmony is preferred to dissonance. I view fundamentalism, even when quiet, as dissonance.

Old 06-12-2023, 04:08 PM

43 posts, read 21,530 times
Default Thanks

Thanks so much for all the diffrent replies! I appreciate your time!

Old 06-12-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood-brougham View Post
Thanks so much for all the diffrent replies! I appreciate your time!
Regretfully, I doubt you learned much.

Old 06-12-2023, 04:46 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
There are two or three Jehovah's Witnesses who post here regularly. There are also a couple who have been shunned by the organization and their own families. We had a few others, but they were unwilling to follow the rules, so they are no longer with us.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:38 AM

529 posts, read 181,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood-brougham View Post
Good afternoon,

Is their any chance of CD Religion adding a Jehovah's Witness discussion sub forum?

I am interested to learn more about this religion..

Thanks!
Merry Meet Fleetwood, if you don't mind my asking, what made you interested in the Jehovah Witness Faith? I talked to them before, most seemed like good people that want to witness to people about their version of God, but they have very specific rules, and their elders can disfellowship people. I'm a witch so naturally they don't like me very much lol, but before Covid came, they kept coming back to my home every week for about 3 months. I didn't understand their motives? Why would they want a witch to be a Jehovah Witness? I'll answer my own question, I suppose they thought they could convert me, but that would never happen so why would they waste so much time on me?

I'm going to make a confession because I'm not very happy of what I did. The day after a mob of church protestors were threatening our kids for having a family night out at a Mr. Gattis Pizza party our coven was hosting, I had Jehovah Witness come the next morning to my neighborhood. Jehovah Witness had nothing to do with the protest, they were just at the wrong place at the wrong time when they decided to "witness" to our neighborhood.

Also, I want you to know that only one lady contacted our coven that was on a public secular website and claimed she was going to get her congregation to protest us evil witches hosting a peaceful loving family get together with our children in her bible belt town and said, "You witches will be stopped!" Even when I told her the purpose of our family get together was to have a safe family night for our children in a non-religious setting so people of our faith could be part of a family and watch out children have fun in a safe environment. I asked her would she put children's lives at risk with her hate? That is when she said, "You Witches will be stopped!" In all honesty, I do risk assessments, and she appeared to be acting alone, and not a credible threat. Still, I had this nightmare vision of an angry Christian mob with pitchforks and tiki torches waiting to burn us witches ha-ha, but thankfully no protestors or the lady shown up and we had a wonderful time.

I was the point of contact, for anyone that needed directions or questions about the event, and I want you to note, that our website was on a secular media website and not on a Christian one. If we were to do that, I could understand this lady's anger towards us, but we were only interested in contacting people of our own kind that wanted to spend some quality time with their children in a safe environment with other witches that cared for their children too. Well, the next morning, I went to get some breakfast and I wasn't too happy with Christians and didn't want to have anything to do with Christianity. So, as I was coming back from an early breakfast, I noticed that Jehovah Witness came to my rural neighborhood, and it was only a matter of time before they went to my home.

I kind of snapped, it wasn't their fault about the threats of an angry mob threatening to attack us, but I associated them with Christians I didn't want to see. I should have just ignored them, but instead, I put all my witchcraft materials outside on my front deck porch so they would get the message that I'm a witch and kindly keep moving to the next door. I had my tarot cards, witches' hat, Runes, Pentagram, my Crystals, multicolored candles for rituals, my Ouija Board too. These people came to our neighborhood before and I ignored them, but they kept coming back, so I just wanted to let them know without confronting them that I'm a witch and blacklist my house and leave me alone.

Well, when they reached my home, there were 2 ladies with their children that were walking to my door while their husbands were further back in the street when the ladies approached my home. They looked so happy; I was looking at them on my security camera. That is, until they saw my witchcraft paraphernalia, they grabbed their children and ran to their husbands as fast as they could. After a long discussion, one of the husbands ran up to my door and left quickly. When I went outside, I had saw that he put a Watch Tower newsletter pamphlet on my door with an invitation to attend their church. For the next several weeks, they targeted my home and kept leaving pamphlets on my door. It was just bizarre.

Why would they waste so much time with a witch that made it perfectly clear on her doorstep that she was a witch that probably didn't want to have contact with Christians at the time so please move on. Ugh, I really feel bad for what I did, but I'm glad I got to learn a lesson. I should have just confronted them in a respectful way to let them know I'm a witch and please don't come to my home again, unless they just want to visit me in a non-religious setting. I would be honored to share my crumpets and tea with them, but let's keep religion out of our discussion.

Well, anyway, this experiment really had me guessing. Why would Jehovah Witness want a witch to come to their service so they could shun her? Disfellowship her? Try to convert her and then disfellowship her because she is happy where she is? This all happened before covid struck, so I am not sure if they are still physically having door to door witnessing to people, but that is what happened in my neighborhood. I wanted to share this story with you even though it was not my best day, but I don't have anything against anyone, or any religion. They just caught me at a bad time when a lone rogue lady that claimed to be a Christian, threatened our safety at a Mr. Gattis party that we were having for our children the night before, and they came at the wrong place and wrong time. I hope you find your answers Fleetwood and sorry I gave you a bizarre story, but I live a very strange and unique life, lol. Blessings!

Old 06-13-2023, 06:44 AM

412 posts, read 137,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High.priestess.Sarah View Post
Merry Meet Fleetwood, if you don't mind my asking, what made you interested in the Jehovah Witness Faith? I talked to them before, most seemed like good people that want to witness to people about their version of God, but they have very specific rules, and their elders can disfellowship people. I'm a witch so naturally they don't like me very much lol, but before Covid came, they kept coming back to my home every week for about 3 months. I didn't understand their motives? Why would they want a witch to be a Jehovah Witness? I'll answer my own question, I suppose they thought they could convert me, but that would never happen so why would they waste so much time on me?

I'm going to make a confession because I'm not very happy of what I did. The day after a mob of church protestors were threatening our kids for having a family night out at a Mr. Gattis Pizza party our coven was hosting, I had Jehovah Witness come the next morning to my neighborhood. Jehovah Witness had nothing to do with the protest, they were just at the wrong place at the wrong time when they decided to "witness" to our neighborhood.

Also, I want you to know that only one lady contacted our coven that was on a public secular website and claimed she was going to get her congregation to protest us evil witches hosting a peaceful loving family get together with our children in her bible belt town and said, "You witches will be stopped!" Even when I told her the purpose of our family get together was to have a safe family night for our children in a non-religious setting so people of our faith could be part of a family and watch out children have fun in a safe environment. I asked her would she put children's lives at risk with her hate? That is when she said, "You Witches will be stopped!" In all honesty, I do risk assessments, and she appeared to be acting alone, and not a credible threat. Still, I had this nightmare vision of an angry Christian mob with pitchforks and tiki torches waiting to burn us witches ha-ha, but thankfully no protestors or the lady shown up and we had a wonderful time.

I was the point of contact, for anyone that needed directions or questions about the event, and I want you to note, that our website was on a secular media website and not on a Christian one. If we were to do that, I could understand this lady's anger towards us, but we were only interested in contacting people of our own kind that wanted to spend some quality time with their children in a safe environment with other witches that cared for their children too. Well, the next morning, I went to get some breakfast and I wasn't too happy with Christians and didn't want to have anything to do with Christianity. So, as I was coming back from an early breakfast, I noticed that Jehovah Witness came to my rural neighborhood, and it was only a matter of time before they went to my home.

I kind of snapped, it wasn't their fault about the threats of an angry mob threatening to attack us, but I associated them with Christians I didn't want to see. I should have just ignored them, but instead, I put all my witchcraft materials outside on my front deck porch so they would get the message that I'm a witch and kindly keep moving to the next door. I had my tarot cards, witches' hat, Runes, Pentagram, my Crystals, multicolored candles for rituals, my Ouija Board too. These people came to our neighborhood before and I ignored them, but they kept coming back, so I just wanted to let them know without confronting them that I'm a witch and blacklist my house and leave me alone.

Well, when they reached my home, there were 2 ladies with their children that were walking to my door while their husbands were further back in the street when the ladies approached my home. They looked so happy; I was looking at them on my security camera. That is, until they saw my witchcraft paraphernalia, they grabbed their children and ran to their husbands as fast as they could. After a long discussion, one of the husbands ran up to my door and left quickly. When I went outside, I had saw that he put a Watch Tower newsletter pamphlet on my door with an invitation to attend their church. For the next several weeks, they targeted my home and kept leaving pamphlets on my door. It was just bizarre.

Why would they waste so much time with a witch that made it perfectly clear on her doorstep that she was a witch that probably didn't want to have contact with Christians at the time so please move on. Ugh, I really feel bad for what I did, but I'm glad I got to learn a lesson. I should have just confronted them in a respectful way to let them know I'm a witch and please don't come to my home again, unless they just want to visit me in a non-religious setting. I would be honored to share my crumpets and tea with them, but let's keep religion out of our discussion.

Well, anyway, this experiment really had me guessing. Why would Jehovah Witness want a witch to come to their service so they could shun her? Disfellowship her? Try to convert her and then disfellowship her because she is happy where she is? This all happened before covid struck, so I am not sure if they are still physically having door to door witnessing to people, but that is what happened in my neighborhood. I wanted to share this story with you even though it was not my best day, but I don't have anything against anyone, or any religion. They just caught me at a bad time when a lone rogue lady that claimed to be a Christian, threatened our safety at a Mr. Gattis party that we were having for our children the night before, and they came at the wrong place and wrong time. I hope you find your answers Fleetwood and sorry I gave you a bizarre story, but I live a very strange and unique life, lol. Blessings!
Life in these United States.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:14 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
You could go onto any specific Evangelical or Christian forums, and you will find one of these for sure.
Not surprisingly, people in groups that are declared “Cults” by other Christian groups, are usually not that interested in interacting with them.
Jehovahs Witnesses would no doubt have their own individual forums and chat sites too, where they don’t have to mix with other groups, or play apologetics etc.
To be fair, there are a few branches of fundamentalist baptists that are rather cult-like.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:19 AM

412 posts, read 137,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To be fair, there are a few branches of fundamentalist baptists that are rather cult-like.
A cult is in the eye of the beholder. The present company excluded, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality