Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 11:38 PM

10,471 posts, read 6,982,705 times

Advertisements

Yes please put them in a subforum. Their version of Christianity is in conflict of just about all Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 03:06 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Yup, but they just ignore/ don't respond to any factual/historical evidence that contradict their 'views'.
Just like other Christians.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:05 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
I had a very nice JW couple come knocking on my door years ago. I would open the door, greet them and politely tell them I was not interested.

I repected their perseverance. I used to live in a very rural area.

I suspect they mistook my politeness for interest. They just kept coming.

So I finally invited them in. We sat in my living room.I offered them some coffee.

The conversation was respectful. But they soon discovered they were getting nowhere with me, and they departed.

With all due respect to JW's, I felt bad for them.
IMO, they were greatly deceived, and manipulated.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:25 AM

412 posts, read 137,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I had a very nice JW couple come knocking on my door years ago. I would open the door, greet them and politely tell them I was not interested.

I repected their perseverance. I used to live in a very rural area.

I suspect they mistook my politeness for interest. They just kept coming.

So I finally invited them in. We sat in my living room.I offered them some coffee.

The conversation was respectful. But they soon discovered they were getting nowhere with me, and they departed.

With all due respect to JW's, I felt bad for them.
IMO, they were greatly deceived, and manipulated.
I don't feel bad for any adult who practices their religion; that's especially so in a free country. I may be curious why and how someone worships the sun or oranges. I may ask why they believe the sun is a god or consider oranges a symbol of luck. However, I do not feel sorry for them. I do hope their offspring will have the ability to be productive citizens. The Jehovah's Witnesses who visited you probably felt sorry for you, and there you were, feeling sorry for them. I guess, in the end, the moral of that story is to agree to disagree.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I don't feel bad for any adult who practices their religion; that's especially so in a free country. I may be curious why and how someone worships the sun or oranges. I may ask why they believe the sun is a god or consider oranges a symbol of luck. However, I do not feel sorry for them. I do hope their offspring will have the ability to be productive citizens. The Jehovah's Witnesses who visited you probably felt sorry for you, and there you were, feeling sorry for them. I guess, in the end, the moral of that story is to agree to disagree.
I think I'm permitted to have my opinions and feelings.
And that's all they are.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I think I'm permitted to have my opinions and feelings.
And that's all they are.
It's America! Of course, it is your right to feel Jehovah's Witnesses are deceived, and it is their right to think the same about you. Though when expressed, it doesn't usually lead to understanding. Without a willingness to listen and learn from each other, it is unlikely that any real understanding will be achieved.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
It's America! Of course, it is your right to feel Jehovah's Witnesses are deceived, and it is their right to think the same about you. Though when expressed, it doesn't usually lead to understanding. Without a willingness to listen and learn from each other, it is unlikely that any real understanding will be achieved.
Hey. I invited them.
We had a respectful discussion.
We agreed to disagree.
Other than converting to the JW faith, what would you suggest I do?

I feel bad for ALL fundamentalists. Not just the religious ones.
Also the political, moral fundamentalists. The dogmatic, the egotistical, the intolerant, and the rude.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Hey. I invited them.
We had a respectful discussion.
We agreed to disagree.
Other than converting to the JW faith, what would you suggest I do?

I feel bad for ALL fundamentalists. Not just the religious ones.
Also the political, moral fundamentalists. The dogmatic, the egotistical, the intolerant, and the rude.
Without a doubt, you were a gracious host. I really have no answers. I had to end an association with an acquaintance who was a Jehovah's Witness. This is because what I thought were benign talks were actually leading to the expectation of me joining the association.

On a side note, most people are fundamentalist to some degree about something.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:18 AM

551 posts, read 190,980 times
Quote:
Without a doubt, you were a gracious host. I really have no answers. I had to end an association with an acquaintance who was a Jehovah's Witness. This is because what I thought were benign talks were actually leading to the expectation of me joining the association.

I'm a fundamentalist when it comes to food. I absolutely have to eat, no Ifs, Ands or Buts. Breatharianism just doesn't work for me. LOL!

Old 06-12-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:

So true. And I try hard to remain open to others and to avoid my own propensity to fundamentalism.

The goal of distinguishing between strongly held beliefs and opinions, and fundamentalism requires, for me, an open mind, humility, courage, and respect for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality