Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 11:47 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

I am opening a new thread for a post that was posted on the thread Thoughts and Divinity. However I feel it can use it own thread because it can spur more thoughts and discussion and deserves to have been posted on its own thread.

Here goes:
Our objects of perception do not have inherent qualities or value. They are limited by time and space. People, things, and situations are all time bound, and will change, decay, die. We instinctively know this but we cannot help ourselves from foolishly attaching subjective feelings of love, hate, and value to these objects.
This projection causes anxiety and fear, not happiness, because what is loved can be lost; what is hated causes fear; what we value (cryptos come to mind) can lose value and bankrupt us.
It is not the objects themselves that cause emotional suffering, but our attachment to these emotions of hate and love that we feel for them and wont let go.
What releases us from the vicissitudes of life is a mind that is calm, resolute, stable, not one that is in turmoil of emotions and feelings. It keeps us free of fear in the face of adversity.
A calm and stable mind is obtained by decreasing our subjectivity, such as judgements and emotions of hate, revenge, and increasing our objective detachment to objects of perception - people, situations, things. Surrender to the situation and surf above the waves until the tide rolls out. Believe in your inner self that is self-illumined with knowledge, love, and wisdom.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:51 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am opening a new thread for a post that was posted on the thread Thoughts and Divinity. However I feel it can use it own thread because it can spur more thoughts and discussion and deserves to have been posted on its own thread.

Here goes:
Our objects of perception do not have inherent qualities or value. They are limited by time and space. People, things, and situations are all time bound, and will change, decay, die. We instinctively know this but we cannot help ourselves from foolishly attaching subjective feelings of love, hate, and value to these objects.
This projection causes anxiety and fear, not happiness, because what is loved can be lost; what is hated causes fear; what we value (cryptos come to mind) can lose value and bankrupt us.
It is not the objects themselves that cause emotional suffering, but our attachment to these emotions of hate and love that we feel for them and wont let go.
What releases us from the vicissitudes of life is a mind that is calm, resolute, stable, not one that is in turmoil of emotions and feelings. It keeps us free of fear in the face of adversity.
A calm and stable mind is obtained by decreasing our subjectivity, such as judgements and emotions of hate, revenge, and increasing our objective detachment to objects of perception - people, situations, things. Surrender to the situation and surf above the waves until the tide rolls out. Believe in your inner self that is self-illumined with knowledge, love, and wisdom.
It's my theological practice to ( try to ) worship, value, submit, focus on The Creator, rather than the created.

To the extent I can accomplish that, I'm less attached to that which decays.

I also believe indifference is the worse form of enmity. To hate someone or something requires my attention.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:00 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I dispute "hate and love as two sides of the same coin". They're two completely different "coins" to me.

I see no use, and have no use, for the hate coin. Put that shyte in the trash, and encourage that for everyone else.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:18 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I dispute "hate and love as two sides of the same coin". They're two completely different "coins" to me.

I see no use, and have no use, for the hate coin. Put that shyte in the trash, and encourage that for everyone else.
I can see times when love and hate are two sides of the same coin. Take, for example, two people are in love and suddenly one dumps the other. I can see the love turning to hate, in the sense of intense feelings flipping.

However, the word 'hate' is used far too often for something that is much less than hate.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:46 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:

Really? That's rich considering you hate atheists. So does the OP. You have something in common!

SO much hypocrisy.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:48 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Really? That's rich considering you hate atheists. So does the OP. You have something in common!

SO much hypocrisy.
Again, it depends on how she's defining hate.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
It's my theological practice to ( try to ) worship, value, submit, focus on The Creator, rather than the created.

To the extent I can accomplish that, I'm less attached to that which decays.

I also believe indifference is the worse form of enmity. To hate someone or something requires my attention.

Indifference and non attachment are two different things, I believe. I don't know if you mean to say they are same.

Depending on the occasion/circumstances, Indifference means different things.

1.Cake or pie, I am indifferent, either is fine. (But I want that dessert, I am craving for some.)

2. I am indifferent to children going hungry. (I don't care, the thought does not bother me in any way.)

Non-Attachemnt
1) If I get cake I am happy, thank you; if it is pie, fine, thank you. If none available fine I will have a cup of water.
2) The child is hungry. Here have my piece of pie. Here have my glass of water.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:34 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Really? That's rich considering you hate atheists.

SO much hypocrisy.
Oh really? That's news to me. LOL

You're a hoot, and completely full of it. SO much nonsense. Good luck getting through life.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-08-2023 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2023, 12:36 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Indifference and non attachment are two different things, I believe. I don't know if you mean to say they are same.

Depending on the occasion/circumstances, Indifference means different things.

1.Cake or pie, I am indifferent, either is fine. (But I want that dessert, I am craving for some.)

2. I am indifferent to children going hungry. (I don't care, the thought does not bother me in any way.)

Non-Attachemnt
1) If I get cake I am happy, thank you; if it is pie, fine, thank you. If none available fine I will have a cup of water.
2) The child is hungry. Here have my piece of pie. Here have my glass of water.
I agree with you relative to inanimate objects. I should have been more clear, as I was thinking of my feelings or opinions of people in my life.

Non attachment can be a virtue IMO.
Indifference, not so much.

To be Indifferent to a person, is IMO, worse than hatred.
I don't hate anyone I'm indifferent to. They are not significant enough to even have interest or opinion of.

Hatred requires an emotional investment, or attachment.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Hate and love are extremes, I agree. But the basic idea is any kind of attraction, or distaste, that we have for an object is because of what the mind makes it so.
Quote:
Apology for quoting myself, but it clarifies, I believe.

It is not the person or thing one dislikes that cause our disturbance, it is the feeling of aversion to which we get attached that disturbs us. If we can look at the person with objectivity we are free of causing our own disturbance.
Same way with love as well. It is not the person but our attachment to the feeling of love(of being in love, the excitement of it, the feeling of being loved) that is the problem. When the person changes, the relationship breaks, the loss of the love feeling turns to something else that is unpleasant.

When we love for our own sake, because it is our nature to love, that love comes from somewhere else. It is not the person, or the dog, it is because love is our nature. Whether the person changes or not, lives or dies, love remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality