Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 05:26 PM

16,072 posts, read 7,086,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Thanks. And I think you've answered my question. Frankly, I'm not sure if I know the right questions.

It would seem that our beliefs have more that unite us, then divide us.

It's those nasty doctrines and dogmas that have evolved over the millenia that seem to create the dissonance.
Absolutely. The more I understand Advaita philosophy, the more I recognize the same resonance in the core of all faiths. It is bound to be because there really is only One, and our spirits all bend towards IT.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:46 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Absolutely. The more I understand Advaita philosophy, the more I recognize the same resonance in the core of all faiths. It is bound to be because there really is only One, and our spirits all bend towards IT.
Yes. And that's a great place to start.

If only we could celebrate our differences, and listen to each with respect and humility, we just may find "IT"

Old 06-09-2023, 07:29 PM

15,897 posts, read 6,363,965 times
Quote:
Hmm. Maybe it is your problem if you project hypocrisy on me?
Now you're getting it.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:41 AM

551 posts, read 194,563 times
Quote:

If only we could celebrate our differences, and listen to each with respect and humility, we just may find "IT"
The pertinent question is what is different and what is the same? It occurs to me once we understand this about ourselves we can then see and accept it in others. We can quite literally "see" ourselves in others and "see" others in ourselves.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:09 AM

Quote:

We can also recognize our Oneness, and extend kindness and compassion from the fullness of our heart. Extend empathy for retribution. Lose victimhood for equanimity. These are not easy things to do. But time and again we see men and women doing the very thing. And we recognize where it is coming from, from the Oneness of Self.

Old 06-10-2023, 07:22 AM

16,814 posts, read 5,020,322 times
Quote:
It is a good question.
The abuse of a child falls on all of us. We all equally share the suffering of the child and the responsibility for the abuse. All actions against Dharma, the Cosmic law and order, have repercussions. The adult abuser is often the product of abuse and violence himself. His actions cause suffering to all of us. Only if you think you are an isolated being would you think the suffering the child endures is his alone. It is not. We are one soul, one spirit, divided by bodies that are unreal.
The consequences of actions against Dharma will bear fruit. But by cosmic time, which is not same as sun up to sun down. The atrocities of the past will bear fruit, but not according to our sense of time and place. Only acts of kindness and compassion will mitigate the suffering we all are bound to endure. This is the reason all religions teach kindness and compassion above all else.
Ignoring the fact you have no evidence for this Cosmic law, how can it be justice when an innocent child suffers for the crimes of others?

Old 06-10-2023, 08:13 AM

16,814 posts, read 5,020,322 times
Quote:
May I break into the interesting discussion to contribute an observation.

It would seem to me, that most Abrahamic traditions refer to a personal God. Furthermore, many Christians then refer to that personal God as Trinity. Which seems to inform much of their beliefs, doctrines and traditions.

Whereas, the Eastern traditions seem to me at least, "panentheistic".
No, there are different Eastern religious beliefs, and while there are more pan- religions in the East, not all of them are. Daoism does not have a creator god, nor is the creator a god, gods are creations of the Dao. Hinduism is also not a monolithic religion, so some are polytheists, others are pandeists, usw.

Old 06-10-2023, 10:03 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, there are different Eastern religious beliefs, and while there are more pan- religions in the East, not all of them are. Daoism does not have a creator god, nor is the creator a god, gods are creations of the Dao. Hinduism is also not a monolithic religion, so some are polytheists, others are pandeists, usw.
Interestingly, a cursory search of Daoism did reveal at least one common term. "THE WAY". Which was also a reference to early Christ disciples, before they referred to themselves as Christian.

Old 06-10-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Hinduism is not monolithic. What religions that you call Hinduism polytheistic and pandeists? Can you name them?

Old 06-10-2023, 10:39 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,808,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's her problem.
Quote:
Hmm. Maybe it is your problem if you project hypocrisy on me?
No projecting, I think you were looking in the mirror. How are atheists hypocrites? Only religious people are hypocrites. That's because none of us are perfect. We never will be. You're not going to achieve some kind of magical 'on the only plane of existence all by myself' voo doo hoo doo because YOU say it is so. Proof please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality