Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 05:42 AM

551 posts, read 190,091 times

Advertisements

I don't want to excerpt too much because of potential copyright issues. Find the below paragraph and read a few more paragraphs.

https://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.i...ta_part_iv.htm

Two forces have been working side by side in parallel lines. The one says "I", the other says "not I". Their manifestation is not only in man but in animals, not only in animals but in the smallest worms. The tigress that plunges her fangs into the warm blood of a human being would give up her own life to protect her young. The most depraved man who thinks nothing of taking the lives of his brother men will, perhaps, sacrifice himself without any hesitation to save his starving wife and children. Thus throughout creation these two forces are working side by side; where you find the one, you find the other too. The one is selfishness, the other is unselfishness. The one is acquisition, the other is renunciation. The one takes, the other gives. From the lowest to the highest, the whole universe is the playground of these two forces. It does not require any demonstration; it is obvious to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 06:34 AM

30 posts, read 21,250 times
This is life in the material world on every level of nature.There is hope the bible the Koran and budism hint that humanity will be obtaining a new level of existance some time in the future.The last change came when we became selfaware with the knowledge of good and evil.The bible tells up we will all become immortal being in a new heaven and a new earth.The Koran is not much differant.In budism your always seeking to obtain the higher level.It all hints that humanity will reach a new level of existanceand who knows what that existance is about.If not were just inteligent meat walking around a planet.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Starr View Post
This is life in the material world on every level of nature.There is hope the bible the Koran and budism hint that humanity will be obtaining a new level of existance some time in the future.The last change came when we became selfaware with the knowledge of good and evil.The bible tells up we will all become immortal being in a new heaven and a new earth.The Koran is not much differant.In budism your always seeking to obtain the higher level.It all hints that humanity will reach a new level of existanceand who knows what that existance is about.If not were just inteligent meat walking around a planet.
Advaita posits we are already That but just don't Realize. So instead of expressing Ananda (bliss, contentment, completeness) in its fullest we limit it to the desires of the limited self. The self of ego.

From the Advaita perspective the ultimate in ethics and morality is Realization of Self. That is if in fact all is Self than any harm we do to the "other" we do to ourselves. As Jesus said "Whatsoever you do to/for the least among you, you do to/for me".

Old 05-17-2023, 08:21 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Advaita posits we are already That but just don't Realize. So instead of expressing Ananda (bliss, contentment, completeness) in its fullest we limit it to the desires of the limited self. The self of ego.

From the Advaita perspective the ultimate in ethics and morality is Realization of Self. That is if in fact all is Self than any harm we do to the "other" we do to ourselves. As Jesus said "Whatsoever you do to/for the least among you, you do to/for me".
Very good thoughts to read in the morning, both by William Starr (Welcome!) and yours. Namaste.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:37 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, we humans tend to find ways to get out of any responsibility for having to BECOME anything, In Advaita, it is because we already ARE everything. In Christianity, it is because Christ did it for us. We humans are a perverse lot!

Old 05-17-2023, 10:45 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
There are actually three such forces in nature, beyond the tired and obvious main two (plus/positive and minus/negative). The third is the usually oblivious to or ignored *neutralizing*. Nothing can be complete without it.

The main two would just be chaos without the crucial third. And that's not just stopping short with organic life, that's material and universal. As long as people are limiting with the duality (good/evil) polarity mania and madness, nothing can be fully understood.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-17-2023 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
I don't get why a tigress killing is treated this way. When humans are killed we call it murder. The Tigress is under no obligation to extend that privilege to us.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't get why a tigress killing is treated this way. When humans are killed we call it murder. The Tigress is under no obligation to extend that privilege to us.
It's about selfish action and selfless action existing side-by-side within the same organism. It's about duality (well, ultimately it's about non-duality). Did you read any other part of that lecture? Context does help and Advaita Vedanta isn't an intuitive philosophy. At its core it's very simple but that core goes against our normal experience of reality.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It's about selfish action and selfless action existing side-by-side within the same organism. It's about duality (well, ultimately it's about non-duality). Did you read any other part of that lecture? Context does help and Advaita Vedanta isn't an intuitive philosophy. At its core it's very simple but that core goes against our normal experience of reality.
I don't think the tigress is being selfish by feeding herself. It seems weird that this person would differentiate the killing of a human. To the tigress it's not different than taking down an antelope. I can read the rest to see if this makes more sense with context.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:09 PM

Read it. I find that dualistic much like "good"vs "evil". I am sending you a link privately to show you what I think about the term "weakness". If you do decide to follow it please don't share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality