Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 12:16 PM

15,895 posts, read 6,360,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Are we the Sun or it's reflection in just one of 7 billion+ buckets of water, not to mention its reflection in all the buckets of water representing the entirety of life on this planet (and others!)?
Collectively I see sentience as the moon. We are God's face reflected back to Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 12:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,431,346 times
Quote:
Exactly! And to discuss if one wishes.
My suggestion - play it safe and say, 'Comments? or Any comments? or What do you think?' after you post something like that, appease the crowd.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:26 PM

88,690 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I prefer Rumi. Get myself outside of concepts of right doing and wrong doing. If the rule is I can't dictomoize I am forced to exist in that beyond.

Musicians are my prophets so here ya go:
https://youtu.be/J9gKyRmic20
Once again, good song with a message, L8.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:27 PM

551 posts, read 194,282 times
Quote:
Well no duh. I do love his last sentence. I think if we can just get that far the rest will fall into place. I have been in a trifecta with my daughter and step daughter were we all looked up to and admired each other. That IMO are the steps we climb toward our best selves or divinity. There is no greater awe than that.
Mind you I'm not proselytizing however I think you would find a lot of what he has to say resonates.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Once again, good song with a message, L8.
Too soon. Thank you.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Mind you I'm not proselytizing however I think you would find a lot of what he has to say resonates.
I picked out what resonated with me and put aside what did not. It's not a dichotomous all or nothing kind of thing.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Collectively I see sentience as the moon. We are God's face reflected back to Him.
A common non-dual analogy is the face and its reflection. Are we the face or its reflection in the mirror? Advaita would say something like "We believe we are the reflection when in fact we are the face". It would also say we are the eye trying to see itself when the very fact it sees establishes the eye's existence. Pretty much Descartes' "I think, therefore I am".

Vivekananda was also fond of saying "Polish the mirror" meaning spiritual practice(s), whatever they might be and according to one's heart, allows our true nature to more strongly shine forth.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I picked out what resonated with me and put aside what did not. It's not a dichotomous all or nothing kind of thing.
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

Old 05-18-2023, 01:08 PM

529 posts, read 185,375 times
Oh my dear this is an excellent example of Yin Yang philosophy I simply adore. You can't have light without the darkness and so many wonderful examples of opposing forces of Nature between good and evil, but what if evil was objective rather than subjective in a person's mind? What would happen then?

Do we really know what evil is? I'm not so sure we do. As a Witch I observe Nature and have seen the destructive powers of a hurricane, but is it evil? These storms take lives, destroy property and wreck havoc along their path. It's one of the worst things a person has to go through if they are unfortunate enough to be in the path of that storm that I hope no one ever has to experience.

There is a saying in my version of Wicca that states "Nature can be kind and cruel at the same time." That is so true with hurricanes but do you know what that storm really is from an objective point of view?

It's Mother Earth's sweat because she is hot and trying to cool off. She sweats just like we do and when She does, tremendous amounts of heat energy is released from evaporation to help cool our Earth down. Without hurricanes our Earth would rapidly heat up putting all our lives in jeopardy.

So I have to ask myself again, are hurricanes evil or just a condition of nature to preserve life? That is what confuses me about good and evil when it is looked at subjectively.

On a lighter note I always like to end my articles with a parable, a story or silly joke and you will see why I'm not a comedian, but here it goes:

When it comes to evil, come over to the dark side, we have better candy than theirs! Ha-ha, take care and please forgive my twisted sense of humor, my love.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
A common non-dual analogy is the face and its reflection. Are we the face or its reflection in the mirror? Advaita would say something like "We believe we are the reflection when in fact we are the face". It would also say we are the eye trying to see itself when the very fact it sees establishes the eye's existence. Pretty much Descartes' "I think, therefore I am".

Vivekananda was also fond of saying "Polish the mirror" meaning spiritual practice(s), whatever they might be and according to one's heart, allows our true nature to more strongly shine forth.
The face in the mirror is not to be mistaken for the mirror. It relates to the face.

That polish the mirror has some commonalities with recovery. Once a person realizes they project it allows them to follow the things that bother them about other people and correct that behaviour in themselves. I can choose to follow the good I see in others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality