Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 02:10 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
I don't want to excerpt too much because of potential copyright issues. Find the below paragraph and read a few more paragraphs.

https://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.i...ta_part_iv.htm

Two forces have been working side by side in parallel lines. The one says "I", the other says "not I". Their manifestation is not only in man but in animals, not only in animals but in the smallest worms. The tigress that plunges her fangs into the warm blood of a human being would give up her own life to protect her young. The most depraved man who thinks nothing of taking the lives of his brother men will, perhaps, sacrifice himself without any hesitation to save his starving wife and children. Thus throughout creation these two forces are working side by side; where you find the one, you find the other too. The one is selfishness, the other is unselfishness. The one is acquisition, the other is renunciation. The one takes, the other gives. From the lowest to the highest, the whole universe is the playground of these two forces. It does not require any demonstration; it is obvious to all.

What's the purpose of this OP? Do you have a question or would you rather want to make an OP in the philosophy section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 02:17 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What's the purpose of this OP? Do you have a question or would you rather want to make an OP in the philosophy section?
He said it.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:45 PM

551 posts, read 192,331 times
Quote:
It's in the subject line as in "An Interesting Take on Good & Evil" that seems relevant because so much of both are tossed around here. Besides, that is from a spiritual master and giant - Swami Vivekananda.

To me it seems relevant to the purpose of this forum in general and specifically to how opposing perspectives are painted as good & bad in quite a few threads.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:36 PM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
The purpose aligns with the focus of the forum, Religion and Spirituality. Every post is not an invitation to debate nor to find answers, although it can be. It can be an assertion, a statement, an invitation to consider a perspective. I like it there are posts like that. Every post does not have resolve into a battle of wits it can just be.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The purpose aligns with the focus of the forum, Religion and Spirituality. Every post is not an invitation to debate nor to find answers, although it can be. It can be an assertion, a statement, an invitation to consider a perspective. I like it there are posts like that. Every post does not have resolve into a battle of wits it can just be.
Exactly! And to discuss if one wishes.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't get why a tigress killing is treated this way. When humans are killed we call it murder. The Tigress is under no obligation to extend that privilege to us.
Perhaps the analogy could be better but I interpret it as we are capable of being both - hero and villain. Both our good nature and wickedness come from the same place, our emotions. The source of our actions (and inaction) however differ.
The tigress responds with instinct of hunger and fear. Humans also respond with those same instincts, and in addition with emotions such as anger and desire. The emotions are under our control and we can choose how we act. That choice that we make is from a different source - the Self/atma/divinity/reason whatever term you choose.
Advaita asserts this choice to do good, do the right thing, refrain from doing harm, is our natural state which is existence-knowledge-abundance, the source of peace and contentment. It is a conscious choice to exercise that aspect of our Self. When we do that, we switch from ego based action to Self-based action.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:52 AM

I prefer Rumi. Get myself outside of concepts of right doing and wrong doing. If the rule is I can't dictomoize I am forced to exist in that beyond.

Musicians are my prophets so here ya go:
https://youtu.be/J9gKyRmic20

Old 05-18-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I prefer Rumi. Get myself outside of concepts of right doing and wrong doing. If the rule is I can't dictomoize I am forced to exist in that beyond.

Musicians are my prophets so here ya go:
https://youtu.be/J9gKyRmic20
I like music videos but not as a response. It doesn’t speak to me as it seems to others.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I like music videos but not as a response. It doesn’t speak to me as it seems to others.
It speaks to me. Like how I quote scripture to Christians or Rumi to you. If you are interested in my perspective I am showing it to you. If you are not then it doesn't apply. I figured that out when people use analogies that don't make sense to me. They are telling me what their perspective is. The tigress analogy hints at elitism to me. We must not disparage where we came from as per the article but there is a reason we came from it and didn't stay there. I don't attach my thought patterns to "the self" so I am not rejecting any part of the self, just the thought patterns I used which don't serve me anymore. It seems bizarre to me that people would attach that and involve the self in the struggle between "good and evil"

Old 05-18-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
It speaks to me. Like how I quote scripture to Christians or Rumi to you. If you are interested in my perspective I am showing it to you. If you are not then it doesn't apply. I figured that out when people use analogies that don't make sense to me. They are telling me what their perspective is. The tigress analogy hints at elitism to me. We must not disparage where we came from as per the article but there is a reason we came from it and didn't stay there. I don't attach my thought patterns to "the self" so I am not rejecting any part of the self, just the thought patterns I used which don't serve me anymore. It seems bizarre to me that people would attach that and involve the self in the struggle between "good and evil"
My understanding of what Swami Vivekananda said is the source behind apparent good is the same source behind apparent evil and there's a continuum between those two ends of the spectrum. Good and evil and everything between are all expressions of That same source with good tending towards a more unlimited expression and evil a more limited expression. Advaita calls that particular aspect of That source Ananda.

The tigress example is just an analogy highlighting that both aspects can be expressed by the same being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality