Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 07:19 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,960,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
............................Of course it’s always the Trinity and deity of Christ that comes up.
JWs push hard to recruit new members, and have been banned in some other countries like Singapore because of this, but then again so do many other groups. Freedom of Religion keeps them active.
Freedom of Religion or Freedom of Speech ____________
Besides Singapore, what about Russia - www.jw.org

Since God can Not fit on Earth - 1st Kings 8:27,30 - then how can He fit on Earth _____________
Since No one can see God and live, John 1:18 - then why did people who saw Jesus live _____________
Since God is from everlasting - Psalm 90:2 - then God had No beginning.
On the other hand, pre-human heavenly Jesus was "IN" the beginning but Not 'before' the beginning as his God was.
Even the resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus (Heb. 9:24) still thinks he has a God over him - Rev. 3:12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 08:44 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,995,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Freedom of Religion or Freedom of Speech ____________
Besides Singapore, what about Russia - www.jw.org

Since God can Not fit on Earth - 1st Kings 8:27,30 - then how can He fit on Earth _____________
Since No one can see God and live, John 1:18 - then why did people who saw Jesus live _____________
Since God is from everlasting - Psalm 90:2 - then God had No beginning.
On the other hand, pre-human heavenly Jesus was "IN" the beginning but Not 'before' the beginning as his God was.
Even the resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus (Heb. 9:24) still thinks he has a God over him - Rev. 3:12
I don’t know the story about JWs in Russia, or have really studied it.
But it does seem a bit odd.
Russians are mainly Russian Orthodox, but even that church is now just a puppet of the Putin regime.
Putin is now a declared war criminal.
I don’t really have a dog in this fight, as JWs, SDAs, Evangelicals etc are all very anti-Catholic, and hence are all batting for another side of Christianity.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:58 PM

412 posts, read 137,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Are you sure you're not thinking of guitarist/singer George Benson? Being a JW, he tells the exact same story.
Brooks, who served as director of photography for Ebony magazine and spent the day at Paisley Park with the artist in 2010.
According to Brooks, Prince used disguises to deflect attention from himself, and those he tried to proselytize “never called him out on it. They listened to his message and respected his opinion.”
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...422-story.html

Old 07-12-2023, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 6,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
https://www.prri.org/research/2020-c...ican-religion/
Jehovah’s Witnesses are a sliver of minority, about the same size as Jewish, Muslims, and Hindus.
I find it interesting that the religion believes in Heaven, but not Hell.

I did not know that both Williams sisters were raised as Jehova’s Witnesses (JW) and practice the religion. I love both these women.
As was Prince when he died. Several famous Americans from the Black community are practicing or converted to JW.
President Eisehower - JW. Who knew! He left the religion as an adult.
https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-j...elebrity-lists
A higher percentage of Black and Hispanic people are JW. Often they are also anti-gay, and conservative.
There are positive and negatives aspects of all religions, just like the people who are part of it.
I would be interested in knowing what those who practice the religion find find positive about it, what makes it right for them, how does it help their spirituality.
Interesting..thx for info!

Old 07-12-2023, 08:00 PM

17,785 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Here is an interesting list of JW's. (Also includes those who no longer practice)..

https://www.hoodmwr.com/jehovahs-witness-celebrities/

Old 07-12-2023, 10:11 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Here is an interesting list of JW's. (Also includes those who no longer practice)..

So what?

Old 07-13-2023, 12:05 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,995,173 times
Quote:

I had no idea that Michael Jackson was originally brought up as a JW!

Old 07-13-2023, 09:03 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:

I somehow had the impression that JW was mostly a white christian community. It is informative that so many Black artists, writers, athletes grew up as JW. it is quite diverse racially.
Quote:
No more than four-in-ten members of the group belong to any one racial and ethnic background: 36% are white, 32% are Hispanic, 27% are black and 6% are another race or mixed race.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:28 AM

15,863 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I somehow had the impression that JW was mostly a white christian community. It is informative that so many Black artists, writers, athletes grew up as JW. it is quite diverse racially.
I remember an exchange with you where you were so concerned with saving people who were trapped in systems that abused them. It was some "responsibility" of yours. I said that was violating their autonomy and the last thing anyone in that situation was yet another person telling them what to do. Its about empowering them. Giving them information that they can use. Sometimes a "hey that ain't normal" is enough for the person to engage their authentic self.

Yet here you are. Fickle AF defending an organization that has been shown, by their own hand, to endorse abuse.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:41 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I remember an exchange with you where you were so concerned with saving people who were trapped in systems that abused them. It was some "responsibility" of yours. I said that was violating their autonomy and the last thing anyone in that situation was yet another person telling them what to do. Its about empowering them. Giving them information that they can use. Sometimes a "hey that ain't normal" is enough for the person to engage their authentic self.

Yet here you are. Fickle AF defending an organization that has been shown, by their own hand, to endorse abuse.
In fact, there was this recent case: https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/09/us/je...nia/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality