Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 06:39 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times

Advertisements

They do have strict requirements for divorce. Adultery is the only reason a person can get a "scriptural divorce". If your husband beats you it's frowned upon to leave but they won't disfellowship you (and far as I know unless an elder would forbid you to then you'd get disfellowshipped for "brazen conduct" for not listening)

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/commen...endorsing_the/

One of the girls I used to babysit got a divorce about ten years ago because her husband was beating her. The elders forbid her to divorce. She did anyway and is now shunned by her entire family. Interestingly enough her husband is an elder in the same congregation as her father. Imagine calling the man who beat your child a "loyal servant of Jehovah" and passing judgment on the sins of others along side him while you shun your child for escaping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 07:07 AM

15,960 posts, read 7,021,038 times
https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/conte...vahs-witnesses

I had no idea of the persecution and imprisonment of JW’s by the Nazis as part of the Holocaust history.. Their resistance to obey seem stoic and impressive.
Quote:
Many actions of Jehovah's Witnesses antagonized Nazi authorities. While Witnesses contended that they were apolitical and that their actions were not anti-Nazi, their unwillingness to give the Nazi salute, to join party organizations or to let their children join the Hitler Youth, their refusal to participate in the so-called elections or plebiscites, and their unwillingness to adorn their homes with Nazi flags made them suspect. A special unit of the Gestapo View This Term in the Glossary (secret state police) compiled a registry of all persons believed to be Jehovah's Witnesses. Gestapo agents infiltrated Bible study meetings. While Jehovah's Witnesses as such were not banned, many of the activities which were basic to the exercise of the faith increasingly came under attack. Above all, the authorities sought to interdict the distribution of printed materials, produced locally or smuggled in from outside the country in large quantities, which in the eyes of the Nazis were clearly subversive.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:25 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
One of the more fascinating things about JWs is that they actually discourage "celebrity" and in particular, professional sports. They have always seemed to be tolerant of their members who become big time actors, singers and entertainers...but pro sports have been pretty much taboo. Most of this regarding sports is that their members rarely are in a position to be pro sports men and women because playing sports in school is highly discouraged as is college attendance at all. So you don't find JWs on college sports teams.

The Williams sisters are pretty unique in that they are professional athletes. But much like their actor/singer/entertainer peers, the JWs have gotten mileage out of their celebrity.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
One of the more fascinating things about JWs is that they actually discourage "celebrity" and in particular, professional sports. They have always seemed to be tolerant of their members who become big time actors, singers and entertainers...but pro sports have been pretty much taboo. Most of this regarding sports is that their members rarely are in a position to be pro sports men and women because playing sports in school is highly discouraged as is college attendance at all. So you don't find JWs on college sports teams.

The Williams sisters are pretty unique in that they are professional athletes. But much like their actor/singer/entertainer peers, the JWs have gotten mileage out of their celebrity.

You are correct. It's the topic of much debate among exJWs (probably some current JWs as well) as to why the Watchtower is allowing this. I was "marked" because I took an award in high school. Others have reported the same from winning the local science fair to a firefighter honored because he saved someone's life. Many people have experienced the wrath of "taking glory away from Jehovah".

Prince was raised a 7th-day Adventist so JW was a lateral move. He didn't sound like he was practicing but just attending some meetings and was left alone. The Williams sisters I don't have any knowledge of. I'd like to see the perspective of someone still inside the group on that one.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I dont know a about crediting celebrity mileage. I think Serena did come under criticism for her amazing and unique tennis gear. But they seem to be staying with the religion.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:54 AM

9,329 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/conte...vahs-witnesses

I had no idea of the persecution and imprisonment of JW’s by the Nazis as part of the Holocaust history.. Their resistance to obey seem stoic and impressive.
They were the only group persecuted solely based on religious belief (as I’m sure you know, the Nazis targeted Jews based on both religion and ethnicity). Consequently, Jehovah’s Witnesses could escape persecution by renouncing their beliefs, although very few chose to do so.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:01 AM

It occurs to me that this shunning business is not unique to JW. Religions that are based on stoic principles do demand strict adherence, like the Brahmin community among Hindus. There are strict rules of behavior and personal habits from elimination to copulation, extending to what professions can be held, and what , such as trade, are prohibited. When the communities were small and provincial, breaking the rules did obtain shunning. There will be no marriages arranged for those, no rites will be performed, and they will be disinvited to any gatherings. I have a friend whose cousin married outside of the community and she never saw her cousin again.
A lot of this has gone away with advent of time, greater prosperity, and a larger world. Like the JW, Brahmins are a very small community in number, but they wield a lot of power unlike JW. They run universities, and hold positions of power in all fields.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:09 AM

If a baptized 8-year-old has sexual contact with a 40-year-old that child will be called in and questioned as to if they enjoyed it or not and asked if they reached climax. This is by a panel of 3 men. The reason is to see if the 8-year-old is guilty of fornication. If it is determined that the child is guilty they will be shunned. I knew no one would believe that statement so I posed it to a current member of this forum and they confirmed it. I can try and find it if you want the receipt. This is why things never make it to the police. The victims will be questioned and grilled for their part in it.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:21 AM

It seems JWs have been charged and found guilty for sexual offense of all kinds.
Google brings up quite a bit sexual offenders for as small a community that it is.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:23 AM

It seems JWs have been charged and found guilty for sexual offense of all kinds.
Google brings up quite a bit sexual offenders for as small a community that it is.

Quote:
In an email to RNS, Jarrod Lopes, a spokesperson for the Jehovah’s Witnesses, said the religious group agreed with calls for victims of abuse to consider contacting the police. “As Christians, Jehovah’s Witnesses despise the mistreatment and abuse of anyone, especially precious children. While it is not appropriate to comment on cases pending before the courts, we want to express our concern for all victims of abuse regardless of faith.”
The men charged in the investigation are Jose Serrano, 69, of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; Jesse Hill, 52, formerly of Berks County, Pennsylvania, now a resident of the state of Georgia; Robert Ostrander, 56, formerly of Cambria County, Pennsylvania, now a resident of New York state; and Eric Eleam, 61, of Butler County, Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality