Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 11:13 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Huh, a Jewish atheist. I can't wrap my head around it. You're right. Well....maybe it's like me being Irish but not Catholic. I'm an Irish atheist. Or a former Christian Irish atheist. Nah, remove the labels. We're just regular ol' atheists.
I've known a couple of Jewish atheists, one in particular a long-time coworker. He keeps the cultural holidays, but he does not believe a god exists.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:15 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You are correct. It's the topic of much debate among exJWs (probably some current JWs as well) as to why the Watchtower is allowing this. I was "marked" because I took an award in high school. Others have reported the same from winning the local science fair to a firefighter honored because he saved someone's life. Many people have experienced the wrath of "taking glory away from Jehovah".

Prince was raised a 7th-day Adventist so JW was a lateral move. He didn't sound like he was practicing but just attending some meetings and was left alone. The Williams sisters I don't have any knowledge of. I'd like to see the perspective of someone still inside the group on that one.
Prince did go door-to-door at times. I remember reading that some people would tell him, "hey you look like the singer, Prince", and he would respond, "yes, I get that a lot".

Old 04-17-2023, 11:19 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Prince did go door-to-door at times. I remember reading that some people would tell him, "hey you look like the singer, Prince", and he would respond, "yes, I get that a lot".
Ask a current member if that would cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 08:43 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
I've known a couple of Jewish atheists, one in particular a long-time coworker. He keeps the cultural holidays, but he does not believe a god exists.
It's not that I don't understand, I was joking about that. It seems a little out of the ordinary but so is my situation. I still acknowledge Christian holidays but only as a time for family to come together. Not hearing the sarcasm and inflection in our voices really makes a difference around here. I guess I'll have to go back to using emojis.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:47 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It's not that I don't understand, I was joking about that. It seems a little out of the ordinary but so is my situation. I still acknowledge Christian holidays but only as a time for family to come together. Not hearing the sarcasm and inflection in our voices really makes a difference around here. I guess I'll have to go back to using emojis.
It’s quite commonplace, to the point of being mundane, but that’s not the topic of the thread.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:02 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
.....Jehovah’s Witnesses are a sliver of minority, about the same size as Jewish, Muslims, and Hindus.
I find it interesting that the religion believes in Heaven, but not Hell.
I did not know that both Williams sisters were raised as Jehovah’s Witnesses (JW) and practice the religion. I love both these women.
As was Prince when he died. Several famous Americans from the Black community are practicing or converted to JW.
President Eisehower - JW. Who knew! He left the religion as an adult.
A higher percentage of Black and Hispanic people are JW. Often they are also anti-gay, and conservative.
There are positive and negatives aspects of all religions, just like the people who are part of it.
I would be interested in knowing what those who practice the religion find find positive about it, what makes it right for them, how does it help their spirituality.
I find Jehovah's Witness do believe in hell, after all the day Jesus died Jesus went to Hell - Acts 2:27
The difference is that the 'Bible's hell' is simply mankind's temporary stone-cold grave for the ' sleeping ' dead.
Both Jesus and the OT both teach ' sleep' ( Not pain ) in death.
- Psalm 6:5; Psalm 13:3; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 and Jesus' words at John 11:11-14
More information can be found at www.jw.org

Old 04-20-2023, 10:55 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Apocalyptic crazy nut cult that reminds me in some ways of Scientology.

And I don't know about America's landscape, but I find their place in Seattle's downtown streetscape annoying. They just stand there all day every day, partially blocking the entrances to busy light rail stations. Crowds walk by them and I've never seen anyone ever talk to them. It's like, get out of my way, God is a myth and I need to walk fast, here.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:57 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Although I don’t support JWs, I don’t support Evangelicals either.
It’s quite interesting watching them debate:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R98rM0ftvXk

Of course it’s always the Trinity and deity of Christ that comes up.
JWs push hard to recruit new members, and have been banned in some other countries like Singapore because of this, but then again so do many other groups.
Freedom of Religion keeps them active.

Old 04-24-2023, 11:41 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Are you sure you're not thinking of guitarist/singer George Benson? Being a JW, he tells the exact same story.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:28 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
They do have strict requirements for divorce. Adultery is the only reason a person can get a "scriptural divorce". If your husband beats you it's frowned upon to leave but they won't disfellowship you (and far as I know unless an elder would forbid you to then you'd get disfellowshipped for "brazen conduct" for not listening)

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/commen...endorsing_the/

One of the girls I used to babysit got a divorce about ten years ago because her husband was beating her. The elders forbid her to divorce. She did anyway and is now shunned by her entire family. Interestingly enough her husband is an elder in the same congregation as her father. Imagine calling the man who beat your child a "loyal servant of Jehovah" and passing judgment on the sins of others along side him while you shun your child for escaping.
Enabling rape and domestic violence is a "thing" Witnesses like to do.

They are a cult. Remember that.

I knew ONE normal Jehovah's Witness who did not center his life around the cult and used his religion for social networking. He was the coolest. He had life figured out and just chose to be a Witness.

However a lot of Witnesses are (to use the American colloquial term) "mental."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality