Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 12:33 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

After Christmas and at the start of the New Year, it seems appropriate to consider what we say at Christmas and how it has an impact on how we believe what we do. How CAN we call ourselves (insert your belief-system here) when we exclude others from our thoughts and prayers for their good? It seems really hypocritical to be celebrating Christmas when we only include other Christians like us and actively exclude other people from other faiths and religions.

The other thread about Desiderata is a really good example of division generated by religion. There are people on there who criticise the wording when the general message is to be kind and respectful to everyone - regardless of belief.

As far as I can see, the text is inclusive of every religion (regardless of what each-of-us-may-believe) and belief system and we may just need to consider how we will have Peace, and Goodwill to All Men if we exclude all those who are of other beliefs?

So, come on, argue for your exclusivity and your place in Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 06:57 AM

246 posts, read 120,301 times
WOW ! You have enlightened me for sure. I was not raised with religion. I had no idea that when people that believed in Christmas being Christs B-Day , and the Bible and all that , that they only wanted good for their kind, and did not wish everyone peace , but only people that believe like them.

I was taught whatever anyone wants to believe in that makes them good to others , and happy , striving everyday to be better IS A GOOD THING. I was not taught to put others down to try to look better , smarter, superior. That is what I see in religion. I don't see to many people running around doing good deeds. Their is a special bunch of truly good people I love and they know who they are !! BE SAFE OUT THERE! Volunteering is wonderful and as always it helps the volunteer far more than their volunteer work. Not that is why we do it , it is just the magic we discover once we volunteer. Like when we realize DANG IT REALLY IS MORE FUN TO GIVE THAN TO RECIEVE.

I will have to say , I don't feel anyone that is reasonably intelligent , and are not hypocrites and phoneys, do mean to be wishing ALL MANKIND world Peace and Happiness. OR WHIRLED PEAS.

If not eewww, i will have less respect for humans than I already do.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:41 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
After Christmas and at the start of the New Year, it seems appropriate to consider what we say at Christmas and how it has an impact on how we believe what we do. How CAN we call ourselves (insert your belief-system here) when we exclude others from our thoughts and prayers for their good? It seems really hypocritical to be celebrating Christmas when we only include other Christians like us and actively exclude other people from other faiths and religions.

The other thread about Desiderata is a really good example of division generated by religion. There are people on there who criticise the wording when the general message is to be kind and respectful to everyone - regardless of belief.

As far as I can see, the text is inclusive of every religion (regardless of what each-of-us-may-believe) and belief system and we may just need to consider how we will have Peace, and Goodwill to All Men if we exclude all those who are of other beliefs?

Even if those different religions teach different things and different gods? You think they are all somehow in agreement?

Even on this point alone, it shows we are not all in agreement.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:19 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
That's a you thingy and not a Christian thingy.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:25 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:

Unfortunately the original is exclusive. From the Berean literal translation - "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased!"

Old 01-15-2023, 10:58 AM

427 posts, read 127,861 times
Quote:

Why won't you let Christians have their beliefs in peace? Do you feel excluded by any Christian?

Old 01-15-2023, 11:15 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Why won't you let Christians have their beliefs in peace? Do you feel excluded by any Christian?
Why won't you let atheists have their beliefs in peace?

Old 01-15-2023, 05:33 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:

Ramen brother!

Elitism isn't reserved for Christianity alone but it stinks wherever it rears its ugly head.

Old 01-15-2023, 05:49 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
The point is, Christians go about singing carols and thinking the same kind of lovey-dovey thoughts in church when in reality they criticize and dont like Muslims, they dont like Jehovahs Witnesses, etc

But for all religions, not just Christian-bashing, there would be a lot less divisive attitudes and wars in the world if religions actually practiced what they preach. That was my point, maybe I didn't explain very well.

After all, there are some fairly fundamental, orthodox-thinking military men and politicians making decisions when we should go to war or not. If they were more lovey-dovey, and practiced their religious fundamentals then maybe there would be fewer wars, conflicts and more spending the money on people.

Old 01-15-2023, 05:50 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
The point is, Christians go about singing carols and thinking the same kind of lovey-dovey thoughts in church when in reality they criticize and dont like Muslims, they dont like Jehovahs Witnesses, etc

But for all religions, not just Christian-bashing, there would be a lot less divisive attitudes and wars in the world if religions actually practiced what they preach. That was my point, maybe I didn't explain very well.

After all, there are some fairly fundamental, orthodox-thinking military men and politicians making decisions when we should go to war or not. If they were more lovey-dovey, and practiced their religious fundamentals then maybe there would be fewer wars, conflicts and more spending the money on people.
I think you explained yourself perfectly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality