Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 12:25 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
hmmmm

Good response. You should do this more often. Reflecting is better than reasoning in matters of religion and spirituality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 12:29 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Good response. You should do this more often. Reflecting is better than reasoning in matters of religion and spirituality.
It's obvious and concerning that you believe that.

But don't listen to me. Listen to the voices in your head.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It's obvious and concerning that you believe that.

But don't listen to me. Listen to the voices in your head.

You ARE a voice in my head. And, as I explained to Thrillo, my head is not the top part of my body with its contents, covering, and lower jaw. You non-spiritual types are hilarious. You want proof and evidence.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:50 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Shunning, to me, is not a big deal. Everyone has a right to do that in a free country. It avoids conflict. If L8 is living with her mother in the same house, it can get uncomfortable. In that case, it's a private matter and we don't want to know.

The way I see it, a clean break is best. Even for a country and its Christian tradition that I love, breaking up society is unavoidable. It's better than bitterness and hate. Take this Religion & Spirituality forum, for instance. I am not sure if folks are just joshing and fooling around with each other here. If they are, then it's fine. There is nothing at stake. This is not the case in the real world.
Shunning IS a big deal. We have another member that was kicked out of his home by his parents before he even finished high school. His crime? Listening to rock and roll music.

People don't lie with somebody who shunned them. It wouldn't be allowed, and anybody that disowned their own child probably wouldn't want to lie with them anyway.

Some people share their stories in order to help others, or as a therapeutic exercise. Of course, nobody has to share any personal information.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
You ARE a voice in my head. And, as I explained to Thrillo, my head is not the top part of my body with its contents, covering, and lower jaw. You non-spiritual types are hilarious. You want proof and evidence.
We want evidence for extraordinary claims. You complain about that because you haven't got the evidence.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
We want evidence for extraordinary claims. You complain about that because you haven't got the evidence.

Evidence for what? To prove to me that you are a voice in my head? What evidence do I need to prove that everything in my life is a part of me?

Old 01-17-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Shunning IS a big deal. We have another member that was kicked out of his home by his parents before he even finished high school. His crime? Listening to rock and roll music.

People don't lie with somebody who shunned them. It wouldn't be allowed, and anybody that disowned their own child probably wouldn't want to lie with them anyway.

Some people share their stories in order to help others, or as a therapeutic exercise. Of course, nobody has to share any personal information.

Religion or spirituality is apparently not what we perceive it as because of our fundamentalist mindset. We are unable to live on a spiritual plane where the self ceases to exist. We try but cannot transcend the mind of reason that has, through linguistic symbolism, created an imaginary order, an objectified reality. Even God, that mysterious origin of life, has been reduced to a thing to be held high or stomped on. There is no harmony. In such a situation of discord, there is no alternative to shunning.

Listening to rock and roll music. In a home where parents govern the family, it behooves the children to obey. Ours is a world of toil, and children ought to be grateful for the security and nourishment parents provide. Personally, if I were the parent and the teenage hotshot wants to draw a line that I can't cross in my house, he will have to throw me out of my home. I am the moderator.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Evidence for what? To prove to me that you are a voice in my head? What evidence do I need to prove that everything in my life is a part of me?
You don't need to provide evidence for anything...unless you want others to believe what you write about.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:30 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
I was not blaming anyone. The misunderstanding is all my fault: I was talking to myself. You guys are just voices in my head, and I was taking everyone to task based on my perception of reality. And the way I see it is this:

The guy who has an issue with his mother shunning him should grow up. If he does not respect the woman who raised him, and view her as an old Christian cow because he is so damn liberated from superstition, he should at least spare her a public lashing. I was telling him to let it go. He is a big boy now and needs to set free that woman he still sees as his mother.

You empathize with the guy whom you perceive as the victim. It's mother's fault, and you want reparations.
Where did you get that from? I see you have focused your attention on my mother's udders. I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say you have a problem with women in general. Comparing any woman to a cow is a dead giveaway.

I see my mom as a drug addict. I sure wouldn't want her life. The only thing that really sucked about the shunning is that it brought down the denial I had built up. It sucked but, in the end, was necessary for me to repair the damage.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Where did you get that from? I see you have focused your attention on my mother's udders. I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say you have a problem with women in general. Comparing any woman to a cow is a dead giveaway.

I see my mom as a drug addict. I sure wouldn't want her life. The only thing that really sucked about the shunning is that it brought down the denial I had built up. It sucked but, in the end, was necessary for me to repair the damage.

Despite what you said, it seems to me that you still can't let go of mom. You are carrying the cross like Jesus and suffering like he did. The crown of thorns you wear on your head has nothing to do with your mother. Is your mom really the drug addict? Or is it you, addicted to your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality