Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 05:54 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
The point is, Christians go about singing carols and thinking the same kind of lovey-dovey thoughts in church when in reality they criticize and dont like Muslims, they dont like Jehovahs Witnesses, etc

But for all religions, not just Christian-bashing, there would be a lot less divisive attitudes and wars in the world if religions actually practiced what they preach. That was my point, maybe I didn't explain very well.

After all, there are some fairly fundamental, orthodox-thinking military men and politicians making decisions when we should go to war or not. If they were more lovey-dovey, and practiced their religious fundamentals then maybe there would be fewer wars, conflicts and more spending the money on people.
Oddly enough I am an atheist shunned by my Jehovah's Witness mother for celebrating Christmas.

Elitism is at the heart of dehumanizing behavior IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 07:13 AM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
The point is, Christians go about singing carols and thinking the same kind of lovey-dovey thoughts in church when in reality they criticize and dont like Muslims, they dont like Jehovahs Witnesses, etc

But for all religions, not just Christian-bashing, there would be a lot less divisive attitudes and wars in the world if religions actually practiced what they preach. That was my point, maybe I didn't explain very well.

After all, there are some fairly fundamental, orthodox-thinking military men and politicians making decisions when we should go to war or not. If they were more lovey-dovey, and practiced their religious fundamentals then maybe there would be fewer wars, conflicts and more spending the money on people.
I disagree with the idea that Christians don't like Muslims or Jehovah Witnesses. You can disagree with other person's theology, but it's doesn't mean you hate them.

However, I agree with the war thing. Since Bush, the worse of humanity is making our foreign policy decisions. War is no longer to protect ourselves, but war for the sake of the industrial military complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oddly enough I am an atheist shunned by my Jehovah's Witness mother for celebrating Christmas.

Well, that gave me something to think about over my morning coffee. It's really something awful.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:35 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I disagree with the idea that Christians don't like Muslims or Jehovah Witnesses. You can disagree with other person's theology, but it's doesn't mean you hate them.
Eternal damnation due to having the "wrong" theology is a pretty good substitute for "hate", though.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:29 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
...The other thread about Desiderata is a really good example of division generated by religion. There are people on there who criticise the wording when the general message is to be kind and respectful to everyone - regardless of belief.
No, that's a good example of division or difference between all people. You could take a group of non-religious folks, and have them comment on it. There'd likely be people who appreciate it, those who hate it, and everything in between.

Religion is certainly the root of many evils, but so are general traits among all people. And of course, there's wide room for differences and opinions that don't fall along the lines of unhealthy or "evil" ways; just dissonant and annoying to unity and common ground.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Eternal damnation due to having the "wrong" theology is a pretty good substitute for "hate", though.
There are countless reasons to dislike a group of people or a single person. Religion is only one of those reasons. Other reasons include politics, environmentalism, cultural and economic differences, etc. Some people hate bad drivers or people who don't use their turn signals. It's big world out there with plenty of haters.

Now, what you think doesn't makes no difference. You can destroy artifacts like Muslims/ISIS destroyed iconic archaeological monuments in Syria, but that's it. You can not give/take away eternal damnation.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:44 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

How does an atheist celebrate Christmas? Sounds like a lion going vegan.

As for the shunning, it could be you in the wrong. How old are you? Are you still nursing and clinging to her bosom? Kids give that up long before they can read and write. You write better than me.

Shunned by your mother, you said. What' wrong with you? She probably used that as an excuse to get you off her chest.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:46 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post

As for the shunning, it could be you in the wrong. How old are you? Are you still nursing and clinging to her bosom? Kids give that up long before they can read and write. You write better than me.

Shunned by your mother, you said. What' wrong with you?
I celebrate christmas in many of the same ways that a christian does. I decorate the house. I buy gifts for a few friends. Go out to dinner with friends in the holiday spirit. Enjoy a greater sense of goodwill than we often have in this society. There are even years (although not lately) that I may go to a church service. There are many, many Christmas traditions that don't require a person to believe in the 'son of god', the crucifixion, or the resurrection.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:02 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I celebrate christmas in many of the same ways that a christian does. I decorate the house. I buy gifts for a few friends. Go out to dinner with friends in the holiday spirit. Enjoy a greater sense of goodwill than we often have in this society. There are even years (although not lately) that I may go to a church service. There are many, many Christmas traditions that don't require a person to believe in the 'son of god', the crucifixion, or the resurrection.

You need to talk to EscAlaMike about being a Christian.

You celebrate Christmas like a trucker in a gentlemen's club at a pit stop on a cross country run too far from home on Christmas Eve. Holiday spirit, you say. You guys just want to thrash and diminish a religion you most hate. You have no idea what it means to celebrate the body and blood, God to God, worship in Jesus Christ.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:39 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quote:
You need to talk to EscAlaMike about being a Christian.

You celebrate Christmas like a trucker in a gentlemen's club at a pit stop on a cross country run too far from home on Christmas Eve. Holiday spirit, you say. You guys just want to thrash and diminish a religion you most hate. You have no idea what it means to celebrate the body and blood, God to God, worship in Jesus Christ.
FFS, what is wrong with you?

Old 01-16-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Shunned by your mother, you said. What' wrong with you? She probably used that as an excuse to get you off her chest.
Really unnecessary and borderline cruel.

For the record, when I was young, my Jewish best friend came over for Christmas Eve and we exchanged presents and ate Christmas cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I have a great friend who is a member of the Church of Christ. I'm sure that she worries my Catholic soul heading eternal damnation. We're still friends even with my eternal damnation. I'm sure many CD Protestants believe I'm heading to Hell. It doesn't matter.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 01-16-2023 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality