Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 10:52 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That is what you are hearing but that's not what I am saying.
The only entity that could conceivably possess free will is YOU (the "decider"). If there is no "decider" with free will, then there is no YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 10:53 AM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
There you go creating a world where your opinions are fact. I stated I didn't believe in free will not that there wasn't any. You stated that there was such a thing as free will factually not that you just believed in it. See the difference? That's the cage you are in all the while claiming the bars are on my side.

You are going deep, L8. I like that. Imagine us, two kids going snorkeling and suddenly realizing that we have gone below snorkel depth and breathing like fish. Let's go deeper where light can't reach. Junk your reasoning. Go spiritual.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:15 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The only entity that could conceivably possess free will is YOU (the "decider"). If there is no "decider" with free will, then there is no YOU.
Instead of asking for clarification your MO is to tell people what they think. Oh well, your choice.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
You are going deep, L8. I like that. Imagine us, two kids going snorkeling and suddenly realizing that we have gone below snorkel depth and breathing like fish. Let's go deeper where light can't reach. Junk your reasoning. Go spiritual.
I think I'm going to go sun myself on the beach. Let me know how it goes.

Old 01-18-2023, 12:10 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Instead of asking for clarification your MO is to tell people what they think. Oh well, your choice.
Professorial habit, L8.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:37 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Professorial habit, L8.

Well, let's take a step back and look at what's going on here.

1. L8 said she doesn't believe in free will.

2. I rebutted and said: "There is free will within a cage."

3. She pointed out two things:

A. She doesn't believe in free will, not that there is no free will; and

B. She is not in the cage of my opinion which is a factual world of my own making.

Then, you come in and tell her what is what, and got her defensive quills up like a porcupine all agitated and annoyed.

And that was the end of the conversation as she head to the beach for a bath in the sun.

I am playing therapist here to analyze why she is shunned by her mother for celebrating Christmas. Apparently, L8 is averse to elitism which is something that really pisses her off. There is some Freudian oedipus complex in play here. L8 is unhappy with her Jehovah Witness mother who has shunned her. And Mensaguy is protecting L8 against all enemies both foreign and domestic.

Who wants to take a first jab at this before I present my diagnosis?

Old 01-18-2023, 03:41 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

B. She is not in the cage of my opinion which is a factual world of my own making.

Then, you come in and tell her what is what, and got her defensive quills up like a porcupine all agitated and annoyed.

And that was the end of the conversation as she head to the beach for a bath in the sun.

I am playing therapist here to analyze why she is shunned by her mother for celebrating Christmas. Apparently, L8 is averse to elitism which is something that really pisses her off. There is some Freudian oedipus complex in play here. L8 is unhappy with her Jehovah Witness mother who has shunned her. And Mensaguy is protecting L8 against all enemies both foreign and domestic.

You're not qualified.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Professorial habit, L8.
Isn't that the point of your profession? To change the algorithm that is causing the problem? Is that free will? The "You" is the narrator IMO.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:

The JWs believe that Christmas is false worship. My mother has no idea I am an atheist. I never told her. In fact, when she shunned me I straight told her God said I was to refuse anyone who claimed He meant me harm. An active JW could be disfellowshipped and shunned for it. I do think it was just an excuse though as the year was 2014 and I had already been out of the religion for 27 years without incident. 2014 is exactly 100 years after their failed prediction and was still pivotal to their end-time calculations. I think the leadership needed fresh drama to distract these people as well as keep them away from anyone who knew enough to ask the hard questions. Many exJWs were also shunned that year after years and years out.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:55 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
I have a stack of envelopes, Metropolitan Ministries, Habitat for Humanity, Feeding Tampa Bay etc waiting until the 30th of the month for checks to be inserted and mailed out (Yes I am old school, I use checks and postage stamps)
Next month, repeat (on the 28th) Next month... repeat ....on the 30th

Point is, I don't give a Sigmodon hirsutus distal alimentary canal opening what someone believes. I do not care what someone professes to believe. I do not care where a person worships, what scripture they use, what they believe about deities
created the world, or exists even. Nor do I care what religion someone professes or none. None of that matters to me.

I care about people's behavior. I see how religious beliefs make people act. Often, more than not, it is not good. I have found that the majority of Christians, when I have gotten to know them, are NOT good people. Not all, but most.

What I do care about is whether or not a child has food on the table ... or a meal at school ... Or a safe school.... Or health care. Or clothes. I care about whether or not a person has a safe place to sleep. I care about whether or not someone's needs in this life, the only one we have, by the way, is empowered to be successful. So every month, the checks are written, sent in, to help provide food, clothing and shelter for my fellow man, as much as I am able to do.

SO peace on earth, charity, love? Well, Mankind Is my business. Charity, Mercy, Forbearance, benevolence are ALL my business. The beliefs I hold about any deity, or those others hold, are but a drop in the bucket in the vast Ocean of My Business.
SO when you need a meal, because the tanking economy has broken you, and your children are starving, and you don't know where to turn, and religions are only interested in helping you if you help them in return, then turn to us Atheists, who see you as brothers and sisters of the human race and understand that human problems will be served only by human efforts. No god needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality