Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 04:35 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
You need to talk to EscAlaMike about being a Christian.

You celebrate Christmas like a trucker in a gentlemen's club at a pit stop on a cross country run too far from home on Christmas Eve. Holiday spirit, you say. You guys just want to thrash and diminish a religion you most hate. You have no idea what it means to celebrate the body and blood, God to God, worship in Jesus Christ.
And you obviously have no sense of what it means to love thy neighbor...a principle taught by...guess who.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 05:57 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
How does an atheist celebrate Christmas? Sounds like a lion going vegan.

As for the shunning, it could be you in the wrong. How old are you? Are you still nursing and clinging to her bosom? Kids give that up long before they can read and write. You write better than me.

Shunned by your mother, you said. What' wrong with you? She probably used that as an excuse to get you off her chest.
Put up a tree, give presents, and block out Mariah Carey. Yeah, it is just an excuse to keep members away from former members. The real reason is that I am not going along with the program and the leadership can't have their members exposed to people who have left. It has to be so obviously true that no one can have a valid reason to not go along. You seem to have a weird fascination with my mom's bosom. She's 74 so that's some kink that I am unfamiliar with unless you're a lemon party kind of guy.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:59 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I disagree with the idea that Christians don't like Muslims or Jehovah Witnesses. You can disagree with other person's theology, but it's doesn't mean you hate them. ..................
Jesus did caution that his followers would be hated at Matthew 10:22; Matthew 24:9; Luke 21:17; John 15:21 for example.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:13 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Jesus did caution that his followers would be hated at Matthew 10:22; Matthew 24:9; Luke 21:17; John 15:21 for example.
Is that why you JW's seem proud of and actually strive to be hated? Do you think that is the way to follow Jesus??? The way to follow Jesus is to learn about His Holy Spirit and understand the "mind of Christ" so you will actually know the "mind of God" instead of what our primitive and barbaric ancestors believed about God. Jehova or Yahweh of the OT is a monstrous ideation of our primitive ancestors' savage and barbaric minds.

Jehova as conceived of by our primitive ancestors does not remotely resemble the God Jesus revealed and demonstrated unambiguously on the Cross. I am afraid you are in for a rude awakening when you do meet God and He is NOT at all happy with how you lived your life following our ancestors' beliefs about Him and ignoring the revelations of His Son Jesus.

Old 01-17-2023, 03:57 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
You need to talk to EscAlaMike about being a Christian.

You celebrate Christmas like a trucker in a gentlemen's club at a pit stop on a cross country run too far from home on Christmas Eve. Holiday spirit, you say. You guys just want to thrash and diminish a religion you most hate. You have no idea what it means to celebrate the body and blood, God to God, worship in Jesus Christ.
People who celebrate Christmas just want to thrash and diminish a religion they most hate? That means you just want to thrash and diminish a religion you most hate.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:42 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Shunned by your mother, you said. What' wrong with you? She probably used that as an excuse to get you off her chest.
No, it' specifically a JW thing, they take it literally that you are not to have anything at all to do with anyone who falls away from the faith, even your own children. JW dogma tends to select for people who will suborn natural affection and familial loyalty to doctrinal purity. So while everyone has a role to play in any dispute, you can safely assume that a shunned former JW has no substantive guilt.

As a side note, it's unkind to assume so much about someone you don't know anyway. Someone who is being open about a very sensitive personal matter and you want to blame them, says way more about you than them.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:26 AM

427 posts, read 127,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No, it' specifically a JW thing, they take it literally that you are not to have anything at all to do with anyone who falls away from the faith, even your own children. JW dogma tends to select for people who will suborn natural affection and familial loyalty to doctrinal purity. So while everyone has a role to play in any dispute, you can safely assume that a shunned former JW has no substantive guilt.

As a side note, it's unkind to assume so much about someone you don't know anyway. Someone who is being open about a very sensitive personal matter and you want to blame them, says way more about you than them.

I was not blaming anyone. The misunderstanding is all my fault: I was talking to myself. You guys are just voices in my head, and I was taking everyone to task based on my perception of reality. And the way I see it is this:

The guy who has an issue with his mother shunning him should grow up. If he does not respect the woman who raised him, and view her as an old Christian cow because he is so damn liberated from superstition, he should at least spare her a public lashing. I was telling him to let it go. He is a big boy now and needs to set free that woman he still sees as his mother.

You empathize with the guy whom you perceive as the victim. It's mother's fault, and you want reparations.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:30 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I was not blaming anyone. The misunderstanding is all my fault: I was talking to myself. You guys are just voices in my head, and I was taking everyone to task based on my perception of reality. And the way I see it is this:

The guy who has an issue with his mother shunning him should grow up. If he does not respect the woman who raised him, and view her as an old Christian cow because he is so damn liberated from superstition, he should at least spare her a public lashing. I was telling him to let it go. He is a big boy now and needs to set free that woman he still sees as his mother.

You empathize with the guy whom you perceive as the victim. It's mother's fault, and you want reparations.
hmmmm

Old 01-17-2023, 11:39 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:

I don't think you understand much about the shunning issue.

First of all, L8Gr8Apost8 is of the female persuasion. Second, she is all grown up, but it would be impolite to ask a lady's age. Because of strict adherence to the rules of the Jehovah's Witnesses, her mother shunned her. If I recall correctly, it was because L8Gr8 wanted to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Apparently, telling someone "Merry Christmas" is a mortal sin if you are a JW, so her mother disowned her.

Maybe you think that mother deserves respect solely for the reason that she gave birth. Others may legitimately disagree with you. Still others may thing that a public lashing for disowning your own child might warrant a public lashing (metaphorically).

I don't know how you would feel, but I can only guess that being disowned by your parent would be a very traumatic event in a person's life.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:22 PM

427 posts, read 127,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't think you understand much about the shunning issue.

First of all, L8Gr8Apost8 is of the female persuasion. Second, she is all grown up, but it would be impolite to ask a lady's age. Because of strict adherence to the rules of the Jehovah's Witnesses, her mother shunned her. If I recall correctly, it was because L8Gr8 wanted to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Apparently, telling someone "Merry Christmas" is a mortal sin if you are a JW, so her mother disowned her.

Maybe you think that mother deserves respect solely for the reason that she gave birth. Others may legitimately disagree with you. Still others may thing that a public lashing for disowning your own child might warrant a public lashing (metaphorically).

I don't know how you would feel, but I can only guess that being disowned by your parent would be a very traumatic event in a person's life.

Shunning, to me, is not a big deal. Everyone has a right to do that in a free country. It avoids conflict. If L8 is living with her mother in the same house, it can get uncomfortable. In that case, it's a private matter and we don't want to know.

The way I see it, a clean break is best. Even for a country and its Christian tradition that I love, breaking up society is unavoidable. It's better than bitterness and hate. Take this Religion & Spirituality forum, for instance. I am not sure if folks are just joshing and fooling around with each other here. If they are, then it's fine. There is nothing at stake. This is not the case in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality