Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 01:01 PM

51,138 posts, read 24,624,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Coyotes cannot farm crops.
I think maybe you missed the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 01:02 PM

16,174 posts, read 7,147,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Coyotes cannot farm crops.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

You?
No. But always striving.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:38 PM

9,416 posts, read 13,077,294 times
My sophomore year of college, one of my roommates was a lactose intolerant vegetarian for ethical reasons (and, incidentally, he was an atheist), making him a de facto borderline vegan (the occasional egg aside). He and I and our third roommate took turns cooking for one another, so I learned the joy of foods like tofu, tempeh, and seitan. I was never a meat fanatic, but I used to eat a lot more, including a weekly steak for dinner.

We are not vegetarian, but we eat mostly poultry and fish. We eat very small amounts of red meat at home, and a couple of our family meals each week are meatless (with the featured proteins usually being some combination of beans, cheese, and ersatz meat products). Since my son’s preschool and daycare is a Conservative synagogue that mandates kosher dairy lunches, he’s grown to love veggie burgers and nuggets (whereas he doesn’t really like the real thing, which is fine because most ground beef and chicken nuggets are garbage).

It’s not a moral compulsion for us, though I can certainly understand why some people refrain from using animal products as a matter of ethics. Our limiting of red meat is monthly health-inspired. Poultry and fish are healthier than red meat, even when opting for leaner cuts with comparable calorie counts. There are incidental environmental considerations as well. Apart, of course, from religious traditions that eschew meat eating as a matter of course, I haven’t seen any correlation between religiosity and ethical veg/etarianism.

We could never be vegan. We just love cheese far too much.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 11-05-2022 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-06-2022, 08:27 AM

29,580 posts, read 9,810,975 times
Perhaps not for anyone posting in this thread, but the choice not to eat meat is also one based on finances for many people, and a factor in some countries where eating meat is just not affordable for the average person. Beef in particular. I suppose one might consider that financial enlightenment of a sort. A consideration in any case...

Old 11-06-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Perhaps not for anyone posting in this thread, but the choice not to eat meat is also one based on finances for many people, and a factor in some countries where eating meat is just not affordable for the average person. Beef in particular. I suppose one might consider that financial enlightenment of a sort. A consideration in any case...
In Thailand, beef is a bit of a treat. Chicken much more common, pork, too. Sea-based, as well.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:40 AM

I do want to point out that the way we are using the term 'enlightenment' in this thread is a bit wishy washy.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:51 AM

15,975 posts, read 6,398,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I do want to point out that the way we are using the term 'enlightenment' in this thread is a bit wishy washy.
How do you define it? I stated I think it means self awarenesses.

I would give myself a poor grade on this one because even though I think the practice of farming animals in inhuman conditions is horrendous I still eat meat produced that way. I have looked into buying from a smaller farm where the animals are allowed a reasonable life. I don't think slaughtering animals is ideal but I don't see it as cruel like the way we mass produce. That's as far as it's gone tho. To be "enlightened" I would have to get my actions to match up with my beliefs and I shouldn't be voting with my dollars in support of this practice. Someone who objects to eating meat at all would have to become a vegetarian to be enlightened.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Finances dictates lots of things from education, housing, to food. A vegetarian diet is economical but one needs to know how to get enough protein and have a balanced diet. Much of that is learned. The Market makes it easier to just buy cheaper, processed meat, which is what the poor buy and feed their children because they believe meat is the only source of protein, and they are too tired to learn a different way to eat.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:05 AM

29,580 posts, read 9,810,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Finances dictates lots of things from education, housing, to food. A vegetarian diet is economical but one needs to know how to get enough protein and have a balanced diet. Much of that is learned. The Market makes it easier to just buy cheaper, processed meat, which is what the poor buy and feed their children because they believe meat is the only source of protein, and they are too tired to learn a different way to eat.
True, but it's not always or only so much a belief that meat is the only source of protein. It's that the market makes it so much cheaper to buy junk food. All too many poor families can't afford to buy better more nutritious foods, which gets us back to how finances and education (among other factors) all plays into what goes on in so many households. Too many just don't know better even if they can provide their family a more nutritious diet.

Then we wonder why obesity is such a problem in America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality