Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 11:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 7,044,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Just for starters here, are you suggesting anyone including me would argue with this statement above? I'm never sure what to make of these "lessons" that don't seem to have anything to do with the issues at hand or your prior comments that suggested there are not vegetarians or vegans who are vegetarians or vegans simply and only out of concern for animals.

Doesn't matter what you or me or others might think otherwise. Only you here seemed wanting to argue there are not vegetarians (like my wife) or vegans who don't eat meat out of concern for animals. Seems because you are not one of them, and/or because you don't eat meat for other reasons, you can't recognize the existence of people who eat meat for reasons that are different from yours.

Always good to remember, "the world doesn't revolve around you."

Getting back on the topic:

What about you? Do you feel you have reached any level of enlightenment, and if so, what is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Anyone know what this means?
Not knowing enough to know you are wrong.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:24 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,337,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Vegetarians are first and foremost people, they are not a different specie. They all have different values.
I grew up vegetarian because that is what we are, we are the people who do not eat meat. Our entire cuisine, the way we cook, has no meat, not even eggs. It is a healthy and thoughtful diet developed over generations. Since it is based on rice, and a lot of rice, and have we have become less active due to modern life, people develop diabetes and have to make adjustments, switch to whole grain, go to the gym.
None of the members of these people will call themselves animal lovers. They consider hurting any living thing a sin, abhor hunting for sports, consider cows sacred as it gives milk, the major source of protein, and rarely have animals as pets as animals carry germs. In olden days they kept a cow in a shed and had someone come and milk it. That was the house pet and it was considered sacred, there is even a cow festival to honor her. The most orthodox of my people will not eat in the homes of people who cook meat. This can seem rude and judgmental, and it is, and does cause conflicts. But the culture has changed along with modernity, and everyone is more relaxed. And unfortunately more eat meat now, adding to the the problem of scarcity of water, land, and climate change.
As i grew up a non-meat eater, the way meat looks, the flesh and bones, and skin and blood is repulsive to me, a horror. All i can think of is the animal that was killed. I have to avoid looking at carcasses when passing a butcher shop, literally turn my face away and cover my nose. When my kids were growing up and wanted what their friends ate, i learnt to cook meat for them. I no longer do. When they became adults they became mostly vegetarians by choice.
I do not believe there is a humane way to kill. But definitely a humane way to raise animals and chickens. I dont judge people who eat meat
I totally relate. Are you in Japan? Once upon a time, Japanese did not eat meat, but now, many, many do. It is decadent. It is a tragedy everywhere it is done. We can eat healthy and live healthy lives without eating meat. Perhaps before farming of crops, eating meat was more important, but that is not true for the modern world. As soon as a culture is able to feed itself through the farming of crops, meat should not be on the table anymore. The same is true for clothing. There is no need to kill animals for leather or even to sheer sheep for wool. I am not a speciesist. I do not believe that humans have a greater right to life and happiness than other animals do. We have no justification for doing what we do, and that goes DOUBLE for animals used in experiments. I blame religions in part for teaching us that "God gave us dominion over the animals for our own use." COBBLERS!!! God loves her creation equally, and what we do to animals has to be an abomination in the eyes of "God" if she exists.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:38 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Not knowing enough to know you are wrong.
Thanks for offering your guess, but it seemed to mean a little more than this to me. I'll not guess what...

While I do very much appreciate that Tyson quote, I think there is a bit more to it as well. Along the lines I tried to also note in my comment #21.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:38 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I totally relate. Are you in Japan? Once upon a time, Japanese did not eat meat, but now, many, many do. It is decadent. It is a tragedy everywhere it is done. We can eat healthy and live healthy lives without eating meat. Perhaps before farming of crops, eating meat was more important, but that is not true for the modern world. As soon as a culture is able to feed itself through the farming of crops, meat should not be on the table anymore. The same is true for clothing. There is no need to kill animals for leather or even to sheer sheep for wool. I am not a speciesist. I do not believe that humans have a greater right to life and happiness than other animals do. We have no justification for doing what we do, and that goes DOUBLE for animals used in experiments. I blame religions in part for teaching us that "God gave us dominion over the animals for our own use." COBBLERS!!! God loves her creation equally, and what we do to animals has to be an abomination in the eyes of "God" if she exists.
God loves her creation equally, and yet as I sit here in Arizona watching the wildlife I see the coyotes eating rabbits ALIVE. Why did god do it that way?

Old 11-05-2022, 11:47 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,337,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
God loves her creation equally, and yet as I sit here in Arizona watching the wildlife I see the coyotes eating rabbits ALIVE. Why did god do it that way?
Coyotes cannot farm crops.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Getting back on the topic:

What about you? Do you feel you have reached any level of enlightenment, and if so, what is it?
Good, interesting, question, but again I'm not one to suggest I've achieved a level of "enlightenment," because that always sounds a little bumptious to me. To some extent, about some things, I feel I've come to know what I should know, and/or discard what is not similarly worthy or truthful. In part helping me to live my life in such a way that seems full and meaningful for me. Aware to a comfortable degree but always still learning.

That may be as close to what I consider "enlightened" to mean, or as the word might be used to refer to me even if I don't use that term like others do to describe themselves. Best I can do in the spur of the moment now in any case, and as it's time for me to sign off and get on with living life in other ways now. Thanks for asking.

You?

Old 11-05-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Coyotes cannot farm crops.
No, coyotes can't farm crops, but there are animals who don't eat meat, so maybe God got it right with some animals but not quite with others? Or maybe it's all about how the "cycle of life" tends to keep the population of all species in check. Either way, we humans seem to have diverted so dramatically from the way of nature, I doubt anyone can really make good sense out of why we are the way we are all considered.

Always sure seems to me there is no god involved in any case. It's always been a "free-for-all" in terms of how life began and evolved on this planet. Still evolving in whatever way it might, with us or without us, of no matter to the cosmos.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:25 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Good, interesting, question, but again I'm not one to suggest I've achieved a level of "enlightenment," because that always sounds a little bumptious to me. To some extent, about some things, I feel I've come to know what I should know, and/or discard what is not similarly worthy or truthful. In part helping me to live my life in such a way that seems full and meaningful for me. Aware to a comfortable degree but always still learning.

That may be as close to what I consider "enlightened" to mean, or as the word might be used to refer to me even if I don't use that term like others do to describe themselves. Best I can do in the spur of the moment now in any case, and as it's time for me to sign off and get on with living life in other ways now. Thanks for asking.

You?
I think enlightenment translates into self awareness.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Totally relate with you as well

I live in the US and originally from India. I did not know the Japanese did not eat meat at one time. Are you Japanese?
Indian vegetarian food is tasty, cooked in 1000 delightful ways and in so many cuisines. This is because of an age old tradition of vegetarianism which has helped a system of cuisines that are carefully balanced, spiced and use of herbs, Ayurvedic oriented, all geared towards health and digestion. No animal product is used.
Indians do eat meat, 80% do which may come as a surprise. Some have restrictions as not eating beef or not eating pork. The poor eat meat of whatever they can get. I do not condemn eating meat per se, actually I have no opinion about eating meat. When eating out I would order fish, which I consider comes under meat also. It is no longer hard to find non-meat food when eating out. I know, and most people do, that eating meat, especially processed meat, is harmful and a vegetarian diet is healthier. This I believe. And food chain is definitely better for the environment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality