Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 11:44 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times

Advertisements

A funeral where there was no talk about God or heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 11:58 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Almost, but not quite. When my brother died, there was no church service because he was not religious at all. For my mother's sake, the pastor came to the funeral home where the service was held and read a few Bible verses and said a prayer, but he did not really know my brother, and he knew my brother was not a Christian so most of the things they normally say did not apply, and so I was asked to give the eulogy. I wrote it up and think I did a good job--made them laugh and made them cry.

I did have a reference to the afterlife, this quote:

“Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come,” said Rabindranath Tagore

which I used at the beginning of the eulogy, and I ended it with "Enjoy the dawn".

Old 09-23-2022, 12:04 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Oh, so we need a specific term for it? Right. Not a big enough deal for that.

If the deceased wanted it that way, than it should be respected. But it doesn't mean God is going to get offended LOL

What's next? Secular water? Secular dental procedures?

Old 09-23-2022, 01:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I have, now that I think about it. It was about 'her'. I didn't even notice there
was no reference to that stuff.
Oh yeah...then a guy that committed suicide, all about his life.
Didn't notice that either.
Omg, now I remember another one!
All 3 very popular - big attendance!
I think there may have been a couple's, also! 900 people there.
Zero about God.

My gosh they keep coming into my memory!
Curious, why did you ask?

Old 09-23-2022, 01:38 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Oh, so we need a specific term for it? Right. Not a big enough deal for that.

If the deceased wanted it that way, than it should be respected. But it doesn't mean God is going to get offended LOL

What's next? Secular water? Secular dental procedures?
There are already Catholic, Jewish, Anglican, Muslim, native, pagan funerals and yet have not heard of Catholic, Jewish, Anglican etc water or dental procedur

OT. I have been to a secular funeral as well as a funeral in an Anglican Church that might as well been one as the pastor acknowledged the deceased was an atheist and did not wish for a religious funeral. And I've been to Jewish, Catholic and Protestant funerals as well and all were quite different from each other.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:51 PM

Hopefully he was buried in secular clothes (winky winky)

Old 09-23-2022, 01:56 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Well, there’s a website for such things.
https://www.funeralwise.com/funeral-customs/humanist/
https://www.funeralwise.com/funeral-customs/atheist/

These services are still uncommon here in the rural South.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:32 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Hopefully he was buried in secular clothes (winky winky)
If you're referring to my brother, he was buried in his favorite sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, at his request. He rarely wore a suit, as he worked as an electrician all his life and was a casual kind of guy.

Not quite the secular you were thinking of but it worked for him. Not that we saw him. He insisted that the casket be kept closed. Didn't want people staring at his dead body.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you're referring to my brother, he was buried in his favorite sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, at his request. He rarely wore a suit, as he worked as an electrician all his life and was a casual kind of guy.

Not quite the secular you were thinking of but it worked for him. Not that we saw him. He insisted that the casket be kept closed. Didn't want people staring at his dead body.
I like that; both choosing his clothes and keeping the lid shut. Sounds like what I'd request! I hope people will have fun and joke around. No need for stuffy serious stuff at the end. Should end on an upbeat note.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:38 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
I like that; both choosing his clothes and keeping the lid shut. Sounds like what I'd request! I hope people will have fun and joke around. No need for stuffy serious stuff at the end. Should end on an upbeat note.
The funeral for an atheist in the Anglican Church was hillarous. The spouse was a children book writer and storyteller and he and his chiildren, all middle aged, kept us in stitches.

My father and grandparents funerals were quiet and no open caskets as they were Jewish funerals and not sure how unembalmed bodies look. Several others were cremations. Not sure ive been to an open casket one. And the ones we gave our dogs and cats were private and sad. At least it looks ike my nephew will take over his dads farm so their bodies will remain on family land.

I want cremation and my ashes spread in a parcel of land designated as Spacial Places so I will need to check if that is allowed. No funeral for me either.

If there is an afterlife I hopw to join my dogs and cats. If not hope I am remembered for a couple of decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality