Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 09:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

My Mom is now 93 and at the stage where we have had to make plans. In fact I'll be taking my truck up there in a week or two to clean out her apartment, since she's now in a full assisted living facility. She was a Catholic, taught catechism classes, and led the church choir for many years, but at about age 50 stopped going to church. When she passes, we have pre-paid for her cremation, and a place to bury the ashes in a small local cemetery where her husband's ashes lie. We will dig the hole and bury the ashes ourselves, buy and lay down a stone next to his, plant a few more flowers, and go to my brother's house nearby to have a meal. Her siblings are all gone already, as are most of her cousins, and two of her kids (there were 9 of us).
It will be the 7 of us left, our spouses, and her grand and great grandkids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 04:17 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Right now for me what rises above the other options is to have my ashes spread at a spot one block from home on a cliff that slopes down to the sea. I like to sit there sometimes and just watch the waves wash over the edge. I like that idea, because it's a spot anyone can access, so if anyone wanted to visit that spot afterward, it would be easy to do.

I've also thought about choosing multiple spots, and I like the idea of leaving it to others to decide what to do with at least some of the ashes. Reminds me of reading about how Jerry Garcia's people spread his ashes off a boat just under the Golden Gate Bridge. Apparently the winds were strong and the ashes got blown back onto the boat, causing a few there to think, "isn't that just like Jerry wanting to have a little fun with us."
I’ve always been against this idea of being cremated and having your ashes spread, even though I know once your earthly body is dead, it stays dead.
Maybe it’s an old Catholic thing or ideology.
My late grandfather had his ashes scattered on the ocean, and one of my wife’s uncles was scattered in a secluded inlet, whilst another aunty had her ashes scattered at the school she taught at.
But as Mordant said, funerals and memorial services are for the living, not the dead.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:40 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
But as Mordant said, funerals and memorial services are for the living, not the dead.
Speaking of being Catholic, who has been to an Irish-American funeral? Where everyone goes to a restaurant and has a big meal to celebrate and tell stories and jokes about the deceased?

Humor is healing.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:02 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Yes. It is becoming more common. Pretty much the same, just a lot of recollections, but no prayers, no body present and a lot of food and light alcoholic drinks.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:48 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
At my memorial I want everyone to make up outrageous and entertaining lies about my life. The best lie gets my vinyl collection.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:21 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Yes. It is becoming more common. Pretty much the same, just a lot of recollections, but no prayers, no body present and a lot of food and light alcoholic drinks.
When my bf died a few months ago, he left no preference whatsoever about any service, but since he was not religious in any traditional sense, we opted for a gathering at which photos of his life were on display and some of his favorite music was played.

It was quite nice. His ashes were at the front of the room with a good photo of him, and afterward we gathered at his sister's house for some food and drinks.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:25 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Speaking of being Catholic, who has been to an Irish-American funeral? Where everyone goes to a restaurant and has a big meal to celebrate and tell stories and jokes about the deceased?

Humor is healing.
That is a huge business in some areas near where I grew up. There is an enormous cemetery, a big Catholic Church, and a bunch of restaurants that advertise repasts.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:57 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Before I die I want to be abducted by angels of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality