Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 03:16 PM

16,002 posts, read 7,056,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not going to read all that, sorry. Life is short, and I don't care enough about whether or not AA qualifies as a cult.

I CAN see where AA is a cult to some, and I believe my dd does, too. And no, it doesn't have a high success rate, nothing does. That said, I don't understand the intense vitriol against the organization. If you or anyone else has the magic bullet that cures addiction any better, you'd be millionaires.

I went to Al-Anon three times, by the way, after I had my ex removed by the police. She got her addiction via her genes. It wasn't for me because it was too late and I was no longer interested in learning how to live with an addict. I just wanted a divorce.
Good for your daughter, MQ. Is this the daughter that just got her PhD? That is an awesome accomplishment.
I too do not get the animosity towards AA, because they promulgate the idea it is a disease? Are they making a profit off of it?

AA is free. That is a big deal because good recovery places cost 1000's of dollars. The two people most dear to me are recovering addicts. One of them has been sober for over 20 years now, and also got his PhD. He has a career and has married a wonderful woman. He battles depression, ODD, anxiety and needs his meds. The other one is still working on it but doing well in a recovery program, which basically follows the AA program and is required to attend meetings.. Is it a cult? Probably. If it helps addicts get their life back who cares what it is called.

Alcoholism is a disease. It destroys the quality of a life and leaves you wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 03:24 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,601,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Good for your daughter, MQ. Is this the daughter that just got her PhD? That is an awesome accomplishment.
I too do not get the animosity towards AA, because they promulgate the idea it is a disease? Are they making a profit off of it?

AA is free. That is a big deal because good recovery places cost 1000's of dollars. The two people most dear to me are recovering addicts. One of them has been sober for over 20 years now, and also got his PhD. He has a career and has married a wonderful woman. He battles depression, ODD, anxiety and needs his meds. The other one is still working on it but doing well in a recovery program, which basically follows the AA program and is required to attend meetings.. Is it a cult? Probably. If it helps addicts get their life back who cares what it is called.

Alcoholism is a disease. It destroys the quality of a life and leaves you wasted.

Again, alcoholism is NOT a disease, it is an addiction.

Addiction has very little in common with diseases. It is a group of behaviors, and calling it a disease interferes with the understanding of addictions.

If you feel otherwise, please advise, where is the infectious agent, the pathological biological process, or the biologically degenerative condition?

Promulgating addictions as a disease is a concept that needs to stop. It's an addiction and needs to be treated as such. NOT a disease.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,660,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not going to read all that, sorry. Life is short, and I don't care enough about whether or not AA qualifies as a cult.

I CAN see where AA is a cult to some, and I believe my dd does, too. And no, it doesn't have a high success rate, nothing does. That said, I don't understand the intense vitriol against the organization. If you or anyone else has the magic bullet that cures addiction any better, you'd be millionaires.

I went to Al-Anon three times, by the way, after I had my ex removed by the police. She got her addiction via her genes. It wasn't for me because it was too late and I was no longer interested in learning how to live with an addict. I just wanted a divorce.
The "vitriol against" it...comes from Anti-Religionism.
They teach a paradigm of appealing to a "Higher Power" (to bolster "inner strength")...and some have such a deep loathing of anything even remotely "Theist", that is enough to trigger the "cult" declaration, and all the subsequent insults of every aspect & from every angle.
I also made the same "Alcoholism is a Addiction, not a Disease" mistake. Not realizing that used the same logic as saying, "A Pickup is a Truck, not a Vehicle".
I did not understand that Addiction is a type of disease, the same way a Truck is a type of vehicle.
Bias against anything (that is not intrinsically evil) to this degree is also a "Disease" (Dis-ease) in my view.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Addiction has very little in common with diseases. It is a group of behaviors, and calling it a disease interferes with the understanding of addictions.

If you feel otherwise, please advise, where is the infectious agent, the pathological biological process, or the biologically degenerative condition?

Promulgating addictions as a disease is a concept that needs to stop. It's an addiction and needs to be treated as such. NOT a disease.
Addicts in recovery have no difficulty with understanding addiction and the group of behaviors that would keep them addicted if they do not get control of them.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:47 PM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Addicts in recovery have no difficulty with understanding addiction and the group of behaviors that would keep them addicted if they do not get control of them.
If they have no difficulty "understanding addiction and the group of behaviors that would keep them addicted", then it shouldn't be that difficult for them to fix the problem. Obviously it doesn't work that way.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:54 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,032,275 times
They say prayer helps overcome alcoholic illness, which is what the Rock Star Alice Cooper did back in the 1980s, where He almost died of the sickness ..... See, Alice Cooper had some family members who were minister of Jesus, so Alice has some experience of Christianity growing up ..... So He turned to Jesus and Jesus healed Alice Cooper of alcoholic sickness, so He never had a chance to Go to therapy like AA ...... Even though some AA groups do use Christianity in the meetings........ Alice Cooper continues to play the horror concerts even today in His old age and still confesses Christianity today some 40 years later when Jesus healed Him Glory to God

Old 08-15-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If they have no difficulty "understanding addiction and the group of behaviors that would keep them addicted", then it shouldn't be that difficult for them to fix the problem. Obviously it doesn't work that way.
That they have lost control of their behavior and they need the help of a higher power to gain that control works for those who are in recovery.
It is not for me or you to say how difficult it is or not, it is for them to know, to decide.
This animosity towards AA and attempt at silencing does not help those who need the help, but can cause a lot of harm to those who are conflicted about atheism and the AA conviction. Many atheists in recovery find ways to deal with it and stay in the program and get sober.

Last edited by cb2008; 08-15-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-15-2022, 06:18 PM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
That they have lost control of their behavior and they need the help of a higher power to gain that control works for those who are in recovery.
It is not for me or you to say how difficult it is or not, it is for them to know, to decide.
This animosity towards AA and attempt at silencing does not help those who need the help, but can cause a lot of harm to those who are conflicted about atheism and the AA conviction. Many atheists in recovery find ways to deal with it and stay in the program and get sober.
Have you ever been to an AA or any of the other _A functions? My guess is that you haven't.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:13 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:

Yes, I only have one child.

I once heard a saying, "Stupidity has saved many a man from madness." During a difficult time, I attended a NAMI support group for family members. One of the facilitators said he had worked with a group of mentally ill people with dx's ranging from bipolar to schizophrenia. All of them were PhDs or candidates.

No, AA does not work for everyone. My daughter has lost friends to overdoses and suicides that she knew in her groups. She also knows accomplished people who live sober lives and attend meetings.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:40 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

You seem to be confusing disease with infection. Alcoholism is a disease CAUSED by addiction to the substance alcohol. In the simplest terms, the biological definition of disease fits. A disease is defined as a disorder of the structure or function of an organism that is not a direct result of physical injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality