Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 12:29 PM

51,207 posts, read 24,661,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You remind me of when I was a young boy and taken to church where we did a lot of standing, kneeling, praying, sitting, then standing, kneeling, praying and sitting again...

All the while the priest was saying something that somehow let the adults know when to do all those things. I did the same things, and I have to admit I did so without thinking. Not thinking about what I was supposed to be thinking anyway. Then I got older, and I got to thinking about what I was doing.

"The rest is history" as they say. In this case my history...
In the catholic church it was almost pavlovian at the ringing of bells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 12:30 PM

51,207 posts, read 24,661,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I don't believe in karma as defined or explained here...

"(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
INFORMAL
destiny or fate, following as effect from cause."

But sometimes I sure would like to!
it's highly debated among buddhists. but, of course, I was stating my creed, not the local monk's creed.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:43 PM

29,610 posts, read 9,825,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
it's highly debated among buddhists. but, of course, I was stating my creed, not the local monk's creed.
Given the definitions of creed and karma, I'm not sure I can address this topic any better than I can most of the other thread topics in this forum. Since it's about that time for me to move onto other things now, I guess I'll leave it at that except to note we've all got our different mental blueprints with respect to how we live our lives, come to believe what we do, not believe what we don't. How to deal with others, different opinions and beliefs. Unfortunately those blueprints often become a little outdated and no longer properly scrutinized as we get on in years.

Best not to be TOO reliant or dependent on those creeds, beliefs (or whatever you want to call our mental blueprints), because all too often they keep us from THINKING as clearly as we should going forward. Thinking objectively. Rethinking free of the sorts of biases that are known judgement clouders.

A good weekend to you and yours!

Bit of Madness to enjoy this afternoon as well, now that we're down to the final four...

Cheers!

Old 04-01-2022, 03:34 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,798,740 times
What keeps me grounded is...

"I pooh."
"It is pungent."

Maybe that's a motto instead of a creed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality