Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 08:04 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times

Advertisements

My creed?

Quote:
Everyone who thinks they know what God is up to is a fool...

And so am I.
KVjr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 08:13 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm Theist...Basic Pantheism...but I was Atheist up until 12 years ago.
I figured the Atheists needed a Creed...and based upon their offerings to this Forum, I created that for them.
Got it

Old 03-30-2022, 08:50 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what is the purpose of posting your "creed" then on a public forum?
It's not in the public forum. It's in the blog section. But why not. We talk about our beliefs, I merely thought out mine.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:04 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Got it
Except it is not based on offerings on this forum, they are misrepresentations so that we have to correct them. It is his creed.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:05 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Have any of you actually sat down and put in writing your creed (definition -- "a brief authoritative formula of religious belief")?
As I do not have a religious belief, I have a rule.

P(A|B) = (P(A) P(B|A)) / P(B)

Old 03-31-2022, 12:13 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except it is not based on offerings on this forum, they are misrepresentations so that we have to correct them. It is his creed.
Your offerings over time were a primary inspiration for it.
And exchanges like this from just now, keep it meaningful:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63182870-post230.html

Old 03-31-2022, 07:33 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
No I do not have a creed for my beliefs or lack of belief

I do have a rule on how I respond to believers

If you use your belief as a tool to help yourself. Good for you and I am unlikely to respond.

If you use your belief as a weapon then your post is fair game to be challenged.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:45 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Interestingly, I mentioned last year or so, that, a Christian, that does not subscribe to the Christian creed, is not really a Christian. To what I was explained, including high rank here, that creeds are outdated concept and in the modern Christianity, not to necessarily be followed. I guess, churches turned from the houses of worship into just a form of more or less liberal social clubs....

Just to add. Pentecostal community I am by fate immersed into, does not even know there's creed, outside of several that do. My son, who is born new Christian, has no clue about it and he ruins small group at his church. And creed is basis of ANY religion. Basically, it's like a materialist not being aware of the basic concept that, matter is primary and consciousness is secondary. Or, for theist, that consciousness is primary and matter is secondary. Those are BASICS, conceptual basics, and creed of a religion is one of them.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:25 AM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Interestingly, I mentioned last year or so, that, a Christian, that does not subscribe to the Christian creed, is not really a Christian. To what I was explained, including high rank here, that creeds are outdated concept and in the modern Christianity, not to necessarily be followed. I guess, churches turned from the houses of worship into just a form of more or less liberal social clubs....

Just to add. Pentecostal community I am by fate immersed into, does not even know there's creed, outside of several that do. My son, who is born new Christian, has no clue about it and he ruins small group at his church. And creed is basis of ANY religion. Basically, it's like a materialist not being aware of the basic concept that, matter is primary and consciousness is secondary. Or, for theist, that consciousness is primary and matter is secondary. Those are BASICS, conceptual basics, and creed of a religion is one of them.
You make some good points here.

This matter of a creed is something that I thought quite a bit about even while I was still a catholic. At each mass we would say the creed, out loud. The problem was that it got to be like anything else that is done by rote memory (or simply reading it). People said it without really thinking about it, not unlike the way at masses people rise or kneel depending on when the bells ring. It's not unlike when children say the Pledge Of Allegiance every morning 2,340 times; no thinking, just rote repetition, thus virtually meaningless. I got to the point in the catholic church that I started leaving certain words or phrases out, or silently changed them in my mind as everyone else said the creed out loud. Of course, once I got to Buddhism, where we are fully allowed to think, it really did become up to me to develop my own creed. But that's the difference between a commandments-based religion and a philosophical-based religion.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:11 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I'll leave it up to others much more gifted then myself, to correct others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality