Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 02:11 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You keep telling us the same thing over and over again, and you still get no result from us. And never will. So that is also "spitting into a strong wind & pounding sand".

But I will ask you again what I have asked before, and have had you never answer: this religious belief system you have -- does it provide with some moral compass, and why doesn't morality show up in your posts?
Quote:
You do NOT show respect and tolerance.
You've been around here as long as I have.
I have always lacked respect & tolerance for disrespect and intolerance.
And this has been my long-held position:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/28536512-post164.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/15707708-post47.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 02:19 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,650,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylig...h-of-religion/

Interesting, and thoughtful article of why religion continues to decline in the USA. Part of it is demographics, part of it is a better educated population that no longer needs mythology to explain things, and part of it is societal when many, if not most people, started feeling the large negative things religions were teaching about other human beings (LGBQ, misogyny, sex etc.) when in real life they knew gay people, men started seeing women as equals, and sex outside of marriage was seen as a norm, not wrong.
This appears to be a worldwide trend:

From about 2007 to 2019, the overwhelming majority of the countries we studied—43 out of 49—became less religious. The decline in belief was not confined to high-income countries and appeared across most of the world.

Growing numbers of people no longer find religion a necessary source of support and meaning in their lives. Even the United States—long cited as proof that an economically advanced society can be strongly religious—has now joined other wealthy countries in moving away from religion. Several forces are driving this trend, but the most powerful one is the waning hold of a set of beliefs closely linked to the imperative of maintaining high birthrates. Modern societies have become less religious in part because they no longer need to uphold the kinds of gender and sexual norms that the major world religions have instilled for centuries.

Although some religious conservatives warn that the retreat from faith will lead to a collapse of social cohesion and public morality, the evidence doesn’t support this claim. As unexpected as it may seem, countries that are less religious actually tend to be less corrupt and have lower murder rates than more religious ones. Needless to say, religion itself doesn’t encourage corruption and crime. This phenomenon reflects the fact that as societies develop, survival becomes more secure: starvation, once pervasive, becomes uncommon; life expectancy increases; murder and other forms of violence diminish. And as this level of security rises, people tend to become less religious.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...ntent=20220319

Old 03-19-2022, 02:20 PM

50,960 posts, read 24,459,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
If you had explained, from the get-go, that you find the exchange amusing (like a horror movie or insult comedy)...then I'd view it different.
But most all of you talk about "the threat of Religious oppression", refer to it as "mental illness & belief in fairytales", list endless imagined harms to the world from it...and claim it should be "fought against".
I describe my volition...you all describe yours....so.....
Oh, and...all "moral codes" are subjective. Theologies are as good a basis as any to use as a guide.
I haven't found a single thing that you've ever posted amusing. I am dead serious about most everything I post.

But I note that in your response you have not answered the question I asked. It's all right if moral codes are subjective. What what are yours. I never see you post about that. I just see you lecturing us, which gives me the impression you don't have any moral beliefs, that you simply want to provoke.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
You keep telling us the same thing over and over again, and you still get no result from us. And never will. So that is also "spitting into a strong wind & pounding sand".

But I will ask you again what I have asked before, and have had you never answer: this religious belief system you have -- does it provide with some moral compass, and why doesn't morality show up in your posts?
Quote:
I haven't found a single thing that you've ever posted amusing. I am dead serious about most everything I post.

But I note that in your response you have not answered the question I asked. It's all right if moral codes are subjective. What what are yours. I never see you post about that. I just see you lecturing us, which gives me the impression you don't have any moral beliefs, that you simply want to provoke.
I didn't think you did.
And I knew it was all dead serious miserable vilification (falsely deemed "sincere inquiry) you proffer.

You ask the guy that has "GldnRule" (the most notorious moral code in human history) as his Member Name, "...why doesn't morality show up in your posts?".
HAHAHAHA! Thanx!

Old 03-19-2022, 03:44 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,099,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylig...h-of-religion/

Interesting, and thoughtful article of why religion continues to decline in the USA. Part of it is demographics, part of it is a better educated population that no longer needs mythology to explain things, and part of it is societal when many, if not most people, started feeling the large negative things religions were teaching about other human beings (LGBQ, misogyny, sex etc.) when in real life they knew gay people, men started seeing women as equals, and sex outside of marriage was seen as a norm, not wrong.
I think in almost Abrahamic religion, this has been already foretold. The religious guidelines and religious morality will keep diluting and diminishing till the evil fully takes over. And perhaps that's when the world ends. And the judgement starts.

This is all faith based yes, but what you posted in the research article, kinda of validates and verifies what religion has already indicated was going to happen. Gives a little more assurance towards the accuracy of some of the religious prophecies.

So far has human rights of LGBT go, that's a different story. Most religious theologies support human rights - but when it comes to thumping one's chest about "progression of society" by brushing aside religious morality then there is no stopping.

Yep, once we take this route, then what's next? Bestiality, incest, pedophilia, you name it and our coming generations will adapt it in the name of "progression".

Old 03-19-2022, 03:53 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,099,396 times
Quote:

But I note that in your response you have not answered the question I asked. It's all right if moral codes are subjective. What what are yours. I never see you post about that. I just see you lecturing us, which gives me the impression you don't have any moral beliefs, that you simply want to provoke

Really?

And you are, who?
Prince Andrew or something, who believes we are here to amuse you?

No my young friend, no one is here to amuse you. No one is here at your service, and no one cares whether you get amused or not. Hope that wakes you up.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I didn't think you did.
And I knew it was all dead serious miserable vilification (falsely deemed "sincere inquiry) you proffer.

You ask the guy that has "GldnRule" (the most notorious moral code in human history) as his Member Name, "...why doesn't morality show up in your posts?".
HAHAHAHA! Thanx!
And there you have it folks. He can't tell us anything about a moral code that he operates by beyond "HAHAHAHA!". So much for the value of his religious system.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Really?

And you are, who?
Prince Andrew or something, who believes we are here to amuse you?

No my young friend, no one is here to amuse you. No one is here at your service, and no one cares whether you get amused or not. Hope that wakes you up.
You forget, that the other poster has said repeatedly that he is here merely for entertainment. He brought the word 'amusing' into the discussion when he said, "If you had explained, from the get-go, that you find the exchange amusing"....

Old 03-19-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
And there you have it folks. He can't tell us anything about a moral code that he operates by beyond "HAHAHAHA!". So much for the value of his religious system.
Oh, wow...this is more serious than I thought.
Here...let me give you the help I didn't think anyone would need: If someone posts as "GldnRule", they are putting out front (as a prefix to everything) the most notorious moral code in human history...The Golden Rule.
That maxim and similar has been present in many, many cultures and societies...and hope you understand the moral idea of the precept. If you need help with that too...just let me know.
Thus...I ALWAYS have a "moral code" present in my posts.
That you did not notice that...is very telling.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Oh, wow...this is more serious than I thought.
Here...let me give you the help I didn't think anyone would need: If someone posts as "GldnRule", they are putting out front (as a prefix to everything) the most notorious moral code in human history...The Golden Rule.
That maxim and similar has been present in many, many cultures and societies...and hope you understand the moral idea of the precept. If you need help with that too...just let me know.
Thus...I ALWAYS have a "moral code" present in my posts.
That you did not notice that...is very telling.
Notorious?

You can label your posts as following the golden rule, but I don't see it.

After all, you're only here for your entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality