Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 07:11 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylig...h-of-religion/

Interesting, and thoughtful article of why religion continues to decline in the USA. Part of it is demographics, part of it is a better educated population that no longer needs mythology to explain things, and part of it is societal when many, if not most people, started feeling the large negative things religions were teaching about other human beings (LGBQ, misogyny, sex etc.) when in real life they knew gay people, men started seeing women as equals, and sex outside of marriage was seen as a norm, not wrong.
Yes, we are seeing the society move away from simply being religious, and the lies that Christianity is responsible for the sin of human beings is starting to proliferate.

All this has been foretold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 07:34 AM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Your thread title "The long slow death of religion.." appears to be in the same spirit of what Putin seeks and is doing to the Ukranian people.

You created the title for your thread and worded it in a most suffering way.
That is the title of the article he linked to. Take your complaint up with the author, and good luck with that.

I mean, that's what the article is about, after all.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:58 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Try sticking to the subject as presented. It's about religion in the USA.
I noted The USA...and how it relates to the thread title.
Which is the typical mantra of the Religion haters (especially Christianity) to do this.
So, so, so many threads, with general title statements like "The Long Slow Death of Religion" or something like "The Fastest Gaining Religious Category: No Religion"...and similar.
They then note one of the few areas of the world where this is happening.
It would be like a forum for "Investments & Saving" that has a thread "Mutual Fund XYZ Losing Money"...but when you read the thread, it only notes one stock that makes up just 5% of the fund that lost money, while you know that XYZ Fund actually gained in value overall.
Anybody with any honesty and integrity would note the deception & dishonest skewing.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:21 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
1) there is no solid evidence atheism is declining.

2) we still outnumber your religion.
My Religion accepts all other Religions and perceptions of God...thus, nothing is more encompassing.

You need to get hip to how things actually are in this world, without the taint of biased headtrips:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...slam-is-rising

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ious-not-less/

https://www.livescience.com/50370-wo...will-grow.html

Old 03-18-2022, 08:33 AM

1,514 posts, read 492,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That is the title of the article he linked to. Take your complaint up with the author, and good luck with that.

I mean, that's what the article is about, after all.
Well then my post is for that author and normstad who repeated it, are claiming to support and seek.

And my post wasn't a complaint, it was an observation. If they seek a slow death to me personally, then they should carry out what they express and desire.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:49 AM

51,158 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
1) there is no solid evidence atheism is declining.

2) we still outnumber your religion.
I don't even think it's so much about the number of people who say they believe in god as it is about what people who say they believe in god actually do about it.

I have mentioned before about my own home town. The population has stayed about the same in both the village and township since the 1950s. In the 1950s and 1960s when I was still around, the Methodist church, which I used to attend and was a very busy and active church, has literally gone our of business because its congregation dropped to 10 people, 9 of whom voted to simply close the church down. A few doors down, the Catholic Church, which I attended from about age 16 until I moved out of the region used to have about 16 masses a week now has 1 mass a week and no local priest.

Somebody is going to say, 'but that's just anecdotal'. But only 41% of Americans go to church on a regular basis. I live in a senior community in Arizona. Everyone in my neighborhood -- and I know 20 of us well -- is a christian except me and one other man. So that leaves 18 people...one of whom goes to church other than for funerals and weddings. And since we're all retired, it's not like 'we' don't have the time to go to church once a week for an hour.

When I lived in Colorado Springs I would sometimes attend a Methodist Church at the invitation of a friend. The pews were usually about 60% empty.

But even beyond that, what does saying to a poll that 'I'm a christian' actually mean. From what I see with the general population, not a heck of a lot. I've never used drugs in my life, but I know more people who smoke pot than go to church. So I'm not sure the poll numbers mean a lot when people are simply asked 'do you believe in god'.

Last edited by phetaroi; 03-18-2022 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-18-2022, 08:50 AM

51,158 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Your thread title "The long slow death of religion.." appears to be in the same spirit of what Putin seeks and is doing to the Ukranian people.

You created the title for your thread and worded it in a most suffering way.
Let's see chatting about religion versus bombing the bejesus out of the Ukraine is "in the same spirit".

Hyperbole much?

Old 03-18-2022, 08:54 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,619,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
My Religion accepts all other Religions and perceptions of God...thus, nothing is more encompassing.

You need to get hip to how things actually are in this world, without the taint of biased headtrips:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...slam-is-rising

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ious-not-less/

https://www.livescience.com/50370-wo...will-grow.html
Checks links. Ahhh... no problem, they are from 7 years ago. Perfect!

Old 03-18-2022, 08:59 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 140,606 times
Truth is truth independent of whether people believe it or not

Old 03-18-2022, 09:46 AM

16,867 posts, read 5,052,325 times
Quote:
No, Abrahamic religions believe their god created everything, and that everything is what you worship as your god.

You reject all other religions, making you in the minority.

I have explained this to you several times, so one must ask why you are still not hip to this?

Quote:
And once again you try to bash, mock, insult, ridicule, etc.

And we have seen how difficult it is to say who are atheists, which makes your future forecasts less than reliable.

Try honestly looking at the data instead of your usual biased headtrips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality