Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 02:32 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,114,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You also claimed that Muslim majority nations killed those that did not convert and upon me showing you that many of those nations in fact have a higher percentage of non Muslims than your country has non Christian you again focused on Iran as if it represents the entire religion.

Do you admit that Iran is not the only Muslim led country?
It's common knowledge that many nations do give a death penalty for proselytizing, or converting away from Islam. If you wish to play this game, so be it. I'm not aware of any "Christian nations" that kill people for evangelism of any other religion, or for converting to another religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 03:03 PM

51,244 posts, read 24,711,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's common knowledge that many nations do give a death penalty for proselytizing, or converting away from Islam. If you wish to play this game, so be it. I'm not aware of any "Christian nations" that kill people for evangelism of any other religion, or for converting to another religion.
Do you approve of the death penalty at all?

Old 01-21-2022, 04:37 PM

16,762 posts, read 15,814,441 times
There are seven theocratic nations on earth. I don't know how you are going to use this information in a thread about Do you think Christians are the most sensitive group?. Six of the seven are Islamic theocracies. Other than Vatican City, there are no Christian theocracies, so of course there is nowhere where Christian penalties are imposed as a matter of law.

These nations are:
  • Vatican City
  • Yemen
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • Iran
  • Mauritania
  • Afghanistan

Old 01-21-2022, 08:34 PM

19,210 posts, read 27,844,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Out of all of them to minorities and people that are different they react the most negative? It seems they tend to be 'Holier then thou' a lot and try to use their religion as an excuse to be an ass.

No. Jews are the most sensitive.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:26 PM

64,105 posts, read 40,405,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are seven theocratic nations on earth. I don't know how you are going to use this information in a thread about Do you think Christians are the most sensitive group?. Six of the seven are Islamic theocracies. Other than Vatican City, there are no Christian theocracies, so of course there is nowhere where Christian penalties are imposed as a matter of law.

These nations are:
  • Vatican City
  • Yemen
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • Iran
  • Mauritania
  • Afghanistan
The seriousness of consequences for offending the religion or its rules has to be considered when evaluating sensitivity, IMO.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:17 AM

10,142 posts, read 6,526,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No. Jews are the most sensitive.
Please give examples. BTW, if you as a people were hounded, branded, vilified, shoved into ghettos, and exterminated by enormous numbers for thousands of years, you might be a little "sensitive" as well.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:42 AM

10,999 posts, read 7,540,694 times
I think some christians are especially self-centered about their religion, prone to take offense at everything.

I get annoyed at the ones who get mad when someone says "Happy Holidays" because christmas is "the reason for the season". They don't acknowledge the dozens of holidays others celebrate at the end of the year. They seem to feel that if something doesn't agree with their beliefs, it must be taking something away from them.

Last edited by steiconi; 01-22-2022 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-22-2022, 08:13 AM

19,210 posts, read 27,844,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Please give examples. BTW, if you as a people were hounded, branded, vilified, shoved into ghettos, and exterminated by enormous numbers for thousands of years, you might be a little "sensitive" as well.

See? I don't even need to give any examples. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:18 PM

10,142 posts, read 6,526,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
See? I don't even need to give any examples. Thank you.
So, I provided instances where Jews have been harassed, tortured, and killed for centuries because of their faith and you find that amusing? I guess some people have a warped sense of humor.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:11 AM

20,241 posts, read 13,648,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm just saying that in a country of 330 million people, yes, there are some bad people. And some bad people will do bad things. And we all condemn that when it happens.

But our nation, founded by Christians and historically identifying as Christian for a couple of centuries, allows for freedom to worship as one pleases. I'm sorry if my post was a bit unclear. What I meant was that one is allowed to be of a different religion than the predominant Christianity. That sort of freedom is not allowed in other countries.
I'd argue that our country was founded by deists and freethinkers for the most part. Jefferson and Franklin were hardly Christians, and certainly not the kind you'd approve of, for example. Many were slave owners.

As to how free one is to be other than Christian in this country, and what that freedom means in practice ... IDK, sure you can set up a 401k non-profit corporation and open a mosque or a synagogue or a witches coven I suppose ... but you quickly run into the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) problem and will surely spend more on security to protect yourselves from random nut jobs and nighttime vandals and such.

Yes in other countries you can't even incorporate and you'll be punished even for private practice of your minority faith, if it is discovered. But I'd hardly call it a level playing field, even in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality