Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 08:44 AM

10,113 posts, read 6,463,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
We aren't the ones that tend to blow things up if you paint a cartoon of our God.
No, but, in general, Christians seem to get defensive if their beliefs are questioned in any way. There seems to be a perpetual need to be "right" with Christian doctrine. That leads to proselytizing, because all believers in other faiths must then, of necessity, be "wrong".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 08:47 AM

13,682 posts, read 7,993,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
No, but, in general, Christians seem to get defensive if their beliefs are questioned in any way. There seems to be a perpetual need to be "right" with Christian doctrine. That leads to proselytizing, because all believers in other faiths must then, of necessity, be "wrong".
I'm not sure if that's the same thing as being "sensitive", but OP can clarify.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:25 AM

50,941 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
We aren't the ones that tend to blow things up if you paint a cartoon of our God.
Perhaps not, but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_violence

Old 01-19-2022, 09:41 AM

884 posts, read 358,245 times
I don't think Christians are nessasaraly more sensitive that other religions, I think most religions have people who are very sensitive to other beliefs that go against theirs. The Abrahamic religions also seem to be more prone to this that other religions.

Of the two places I have lived, since Christianity is the majority in the US, their sensitivity is more obvious here both from individuals and as a collecting political lobby.

I'd say the situation is less intense in the UK, where there is very little religious political lobby and people are more welcoming of other religions and of atheists. Not a utopia by any measure, but better than the US, which is ironic given the the UK has an official state religion unlike the US

Last edited by Peter600; 01-19-2022 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-19-2022, 10:04 AM

63,908 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
On a sensitivity scale, that and the fatwa against Rushdie for the Satanic Verses has to rank very high on sensitivity.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:02 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,336,626 times
All those who are providing extreme examples from non Christians to disprove the OP should then looknat the most extreme examp les from Christains within their own cou ntry then

1 Christians marching dowb th e street chanting "Jews will not replace us"

Christaibs opposi ng the use of Yoga to dea l with problems in a school because it is from the devil

3 Christian s staring that Muslims should not ne in the Hoyse of Representativex

4 or that M uslims are not Americans nor are those who are from Asia.

5 Christians walking out from the p rayer opening of a meeting because it was delivered by a non Christian

6 Christian preacher burning a copy of t he Quranh

7 Christian stating on his radio shos that atheists are parasites and do no good for their country.

Now most peolle will agree that these ars extreme views by a small humber of Christians but is that not the same as what happened by Muslim extremists.

Forgot to add rhe Ann Colter, a Christian wanted your army to convert the Iraqis to Christainity. And yet the Deputy PM ofIraq at thevtinevwas Christian.

And some ofvthe same posters who defended Christians in this thread have also attacked atheists posters for the words or actionz of some atheists.

I could of as easily listed examples of those of other religions, ethnic groups or of atheists doing extremists things to. But i listed only Christians doing that as a response to posters like MysticPHd and BaptistFundie who used Muslim extremists to show that Christians are not the most sensitivs.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:06 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,664,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your childish game and predictable misrepresentation is political (yes, we know where you are going), and promoting hatred of atheists.
I just noted "truth" and "facts" about "The Way of the World"...relative to "sensitivity", as respects Religion and The Religious.
I thought y'all were into "facts" & "truth"?

Old 01-19-2022, 11:27 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I just noted "truth" and "facts" about "The Way of the World"...relative to "sensitivity", as respects Religion and The Religious.
I thought y'all were into "facts" & "truth"?
Your childish game and predictable misrepresentation (not "truth" and "facts" about "The Way of the World") was political (yes, we know where you are going), and promoting hatred of atheists.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,052,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
All those who are providing extreme examples from non Christians to disprove the OP should then looknat the most extreme examp les from Christains within their own cou ntry then

1 Christians marching dowb th e street chanting "Jews will not replace us"

Christaibs opposi ng the use of Yoga to dea l with problems in a school because it is from the devil

3 Christian s staring that Muslims should not ne in the Hoyse of Representativex

4 or that M uslims are not Americans nor are those who are from Asia.

5 Christians walking out from the p rayer opening of a meeting because it was delivered by a non Christian

6 Christian preacher burning a copy of t he Quranh

7 Christian stating on his radio shos that atheists are parasites and do no good for their country.

Now most peolle will agree that these ars extreme views by a small humber of Christians but is that not the same as what happened by Muslim extremists.

Forgot to add rhe Ann Colter, a Christian wanted your army to convert the Iraqis to Christainity. And yet the Deputy PM ofIraq at thevtinevwas Christian.

And some ofvthe same posters who defended Christians in this thread have also attacked atheists posters for the words or actionz of some atheists.

I could of as easily listed examples of those of other religions, ethnic groups or of atheists doing extremists things to. But i listed only Christians doing that as a response to posters like MysticPHd and BaptistFundie who used Muslim extremists to show that Christians are not the most sensitivs.
The fact that all of those things are ALLOWED in a country that is majority Christian, or has historically been majority Christian says more than you suggesting that these things are representative of the whole.

Seriously. This is not the government doing it. It's a few bad people doing it. Our government allows those groups to exist that are being attacked. Now go and try to be an opposition group in a country that is controlled by another religion. Tell me how it works out.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,664,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your childish game and predictable misrepresentation (not "truth" and "facts" about "The Way of the World") was political (yes, we know where you are going), and promoting hatred of atheists.
So sorry...afraid you have facts mixed up...not, "promoting the hatred of Atheists"..."noting the hatred (rooted in "sensitivity" about Religion & The Religious) BY Atheists".
There ya go...now you have the "facts" & "truth" straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality