Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 05:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm just saying that in a country of 330 million people, yes, there are some bad people. And some bad people will do bad things. And we all condemn that when it happens.

But our nation, founded by Christians and historically identifying as Christian for a couple of centuries, allows for freedom to worship as one pleases. I'm sorry if my post was a bit unclear. What I meant was that one is allowed to be of a different religion than the predominant Christianity. That sort of freedom is not allowed in other countries.
In the Middle East 85% of the people are Muslims hence 15% are not. Countries like Saudi Arbia, Jordan and Turkey are or near 100% Muslins however others like Lebannon are only 55% Muslim.

According to Wikipedia Christains face discrimination in several Muslim majority countried in Africa but Muslims face discrimination in several Christain majority African natiions.

I think you are sitting in the safety of living in an advanced dwvelopef country and judging yourvown religion based on thar but looking at another religion based in a much poorer nations and in a narrow point of time. Unfair comparrision.

There is a significantly higher percentage of non Muslims in various Muslim majority coubtries than non Christains in your own country. Not sure thatvyoy are correct that in Muslim countries tgey do not have religious freedoms like yoy do. I would agree that they have much less than they did back 50 or 60 years ago but that is the sffect if fundamentalists taking power rather than the religion per se.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 06:02 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
In the Middle East 85% of the people are Muslims hence 15% are not. Countries like Saudi Arbia, Jordan and Turkey are or near 100% Muslins however others like Lebannon are only 55% Muslim.

According to Wikipedia Christains face discrimination in several Muslim majority countried in Africa but Muslims face discrimination in several Christain majority African natiions.

I think you are sitting in the safety of living in an advanced dwvelopef country and judging yourvown religion based on thar but looking at another religion based in a much poorer nations and in a narrow point of time. Unfair comparrision.

There is a significantly higher percentage of non Muslims in various Muslim majority coubtries than non Christains in your own country. Not sure thatvyoy are correct that in Muslim countries tgey do not have religious freedoms like yoy do. I would agree that they have much less than they did back 50 or 60 years ago but that is the sffect if fundamentalists taking power rather than the religion per se.
Are you blind? Haven't you ever noticed the halos that float over the heads of all christians?

Old 01-19-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you blind? Haven't you ever noticed the halos that float over the heads of all christians?
No, its just a few that are like that.

Fortunately not even a majority are like that

Old 01-20-2022, 12:48 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:

Tell me...what "Christian nation", do you compare to the radical Islamist nation of Iran? How about the now Taliban-controlled Afghanistan? Is there a "Christian nation" that tosses gay people off rooftops? That forces people to convert on penalty of death?

Old 01-20-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Tell me...what "Christian nation", do you compare to the radical Islamist nation of Iran? How about the now Taliban-controlled Afghanistan? Is there a "Christian nation" that tosses gay people off rooftops? That forces people to convert on penalty of death?
Why do you only talk about the present when you represent a religion based in the past?

Old 01-20-2022, 02:08 PM

25,965 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Out of all of them to minorities and people that are different they react the most negative? It seems they tend to be 'Holier then thou' a lot and try to use their religion as an excuse to be an ass.
Well, some of them believe that once "saved", all sins, past, present and future are forgiven. This allows them to kind of do as they please, thus be an "ass".

I think the Christians are the most sensitive group, because many accept their religion at face value, and don't go further to understand it. Few can discuss their beliefs in depth and take the "because the Bible says" or "because Jesus said", otherwise known as their "get out of jail" card if confronted. I just don't see believing in something, and not being able to explain why I believe.

Christianity is just all over the place as far as doctrine, and most change their minds as often as it takes to what is right or wrong according to the Bible to keep butts in the pews.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:30 PM

When I was not long out of college and very early in my career, I had a little verbal dust-up with my roommate. He said, "I'm very sensitive". I replied, "You're half sensitive. Very sensitive about yourself, but not at all sensitive about others".

Old 01-20-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
You only wish to focus on a narrow period of time. Many Muslim nations have fallen ibto fubdamentalism. In this Century Uganda , ubder the pressure from some American fundamentalists almost made being gay a capital crime but made it twenry years in prision. Is that an exampke of a tolerant Christaib nation?

The year and date that Columbus sailed to find the shortcut to India Spain gave its Jews the choices of leave, convert or be killed. More recentlt Jews in Iran lived safely while Jews ib Germany and muchbof Europe faced the Halocaust. Even Jews attempting to flee forv their lives were turned back by Canada and the USA and sent back to face the Natizs.

Does Lebanon actually kill almost all their population? Christains exist in Iraq, Iran, Indonesis etc.

There are lots of terrible acts and beliefs I can say about Muslim majority countries, but i can also say that about Isreal. Ignoring religion altogether i can also mention some of the terrible things my own country Canada has done. You seem not to be able to endure any critism of Christainity and immediately attempted to deflect my attacking all that is wrong with Muslims. Christain majority nations have alsi gone through good and free periods and bad and dark periods ( Dark Ages for example) but you only see Islam during this dark period it is in.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:56 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
You only wish to focus on a narrow period of time. Many Muslim nations have fallen ibto fubdamentalism. In this Century Uganda , ubder the pressure from some American fundamentalists almost made being gay a capital crime but made it twenry years in prision. Is that an exampke of a tolerant Christaib nation?
You're wrong. That is a misrepresentation of it. I know you don't want to hear it, but it is. The law prohibits child rape, including sodomy of young boys. No, Christianity does not prescribe the death penalty for a gay person. And, to be honest, I really have a LOT of questions about the actual beliefs of the Ugandans that are enforcing the law. I haven't seen that they are legitimately Christian. I can't deny they are, because I just don't know. But death penalty for child rapists, in my mind, does not compare to tossing gay people off buildings, or killing evangelists in Iraq.
Quote:
The year and date that Columbus sailed to find the shortcut to India Spain gave its Jews the choices of leave, convert or be killed. More recentlt Jews in Iran lived safely while Jews ib Germany and muchbof Europe faced the Halocaust. Even Jews attempting to flee forv their lives were turned back by Canada and the USA and sent back to face the Natizs.
Since the question of the OP was regarding the CURRENT state of who is "most sensitive", this is off topic. But I get it. You're trying to distract.
Quote:
Does Lebanon actually kill almost all their population? Christains exist in Iraq, Iran, Indonesis etc.
I didn't mention Lebanon. Didn't mention Indonesia. I can tell you that I have heard of Christian missionaries who have had their lives threatened for evangelism in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan.
Quote:
There are lots of terrible acts and beliefs I can say about Muslim majority countries, but i can also say that about Isreal. Ignoring religion altogether i can also mention some of the terrible things my own country Canada has done. You seem not to be able to endure any critism of Christainity and immediately attempted to deflect my attacking all that is wrong with Muslims. Christain majority nations have alsi gone through good and free periods and bad and dark periods ( Dark Ages for example) but you only see Islam during this dark period it is in.
The question I asked was what "Christian nation" compares to Iran or Afghanistan. Nowhere have I suggested that every Muslim majority nation is the same. But again, this is a distracting tactic.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:47 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Out of all of them to minorities and people that are different they react the most negative? It seems they tend to be 'Holier then thou' a lot and try to use their religion as an excuse to be an ass.
Let me do my best to 'splain it. It's really just a matter of Human Nature.
Champions typically revel in the glory of their position. Christianity is the "World Champion Theological Concept".
To "win" enough to become "The Champion" necessarily requires lots of "losers" left in the wake...sometimes it isn't pretty.
Champions typically take a bit of exception to challenges from Wannabes and Neverweres. It's not "sensitivity" per se...it's just the typical posture of the Alpha.
That's just The Way Of The World...and not at all unique to Christianity.
Also...The Champion typically dictates the terms.
That is the privilege and power of being The Champ...and Christianity has been The Champion ideology for over 1000 years!
Their feeling about that is nothing more than basic human nature.
Just as those on the "Ever Losing Team" whining about The Champion is typical behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality