Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 04:05 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,408,723 times

Advertisements

I'm a Catholic and started going back to church since last June because since Covid restrictions were lifted, our Bishop has removed the dispensation and we're back to being obligated to attend mass every Sunday.

All was going well until today when we received news that two of the three priests at our church tested positive. They are even urging people who received communion from them recently to go out and get tested. And I'm really wondering if that one priest who is currently testing negative also has it and it's only a matter of time before he tests positive. All three priests live together in the same building and are always in close contact with each other, so I imagine all three have it. How the church will function if that one remaining priest tests positive is beyond me!

But now I'm worried. There appears be some spreading going on in the church now and who knows how many people the priests infected when they gave out communion since they handle the bread with their bare hands.

The bishop of our diocese refuses to put back the dispensation because he claims that church is safe and if we can go to the supermarket, then we can attend mass. So I'm still obligated to attend Sunday mass despite the Omicron surge. But this just seems like a bad time since large groups of people are gathered for one hour in an indoor church. And since Omicron appears to be extremely contagious, it just doesn't seem safe at the moment to be going to church. So I don't know what to do?

Should I continue fulfilling my obligation and attend mass so I don't sin, and risk getting sick and passing it onto others? Or should I stop going for the time being and risk committing a serious sin?

Old 01-09-2022, 04:26 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm a Catholic and started going back to church since last June because since Covid restrictions were lifted, our Bishop has removed the dispensation and we're back to being obligated to attend mass every Sunday.

All was going well until today when we received news that two of the three priests at our church tested positive. They are even urging people who received communion from them recently to go out and get tested. And I'm really wondering if that one priest who is currently testing negative also has it and it's only a matter of time before he tests positive. All three priests live together in the same building and are always in close contact with each other, so I imagine all three have it. How the church will function if that one remaining priest tests positive is beyond me!

But now I'm worried. There appears be some spreading going on in the church now and who knows how many people the priests infected when they gave out communion since they handle the bread with their bare hands.

The bishop of our diocese refuses to put back the dispensation because he claims that church is safe and if we can go to the supermarket, then we can attend mass. So I'm still obligated to attend Sunday mass despite the Omicron surge. But this just seems like a bad time since large groups of people are gathered for one hour in an indoor church. And since Omicron appears to be extremely contagious, it just doesn't seem safe at the moment to be going to church. So I don't know what to do?

Should I continue fulfilling my obligation and attend mass so I don't sin, and risk getting sick and passing it onto others? Or should I stop going for the time being and risk committing a serious sin?
The idea that you would be committing a serious sin by not attending church is absurd. You are more than able to pray and commune with God without the priests or the church. This type of self-serving control by churches is an abomination before God, IMO.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The idea that you would be committing a serious sin by not attending church is absurd. You are more than able to pray and commune with God without the priests or the church. This type of self-serving control by churches is an abomination before God, IMO.

Priests claim that praying at home is not the same as praying in church.

The bishop would need to put a dispensation in place in order for it not to be considered a sin. And as of now, he hasn't done so...

Old 01-09-2022, 04:44 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
Quote:
Priests claim that praying at home is not the same as praying in church.

The bishop would need to put a dispensation in place in order for it not to be considered a sin. And as of now, he hasn't done so...
Well they would say that wouldn't they?
If you aren't going to church, you aren't throwing money onto the basket. That's the difference.

Nobody should feel forced to attend a flipping covid spreader event! Completely irresponsible!

Old 01-09-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
If you aren't going to church, you aren't throwing money onto the basket. That's the difference.

Nobody should feel forced to attend a flipping covid spreader event! Completely irresponsible!

I remember one priest said last year during the lockdown that not going to church leads to a loss of faith. And loss of faith can land you in hell. And hell is far scarier than the Coronavirus.

Hate to admit it, but he does have a point...

Old 01-09-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

Wise Shopper needs to do some wise shopping for a less money-grubbing church more in keeping with the "mind of Christ" who chased the money-grubbers out of the Temple.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:01 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
I remember one priest said last year during the lockdown that not going to church leads to a loss of faith. And loss of faith can land you in hell. And hell is far scarier than the Coronavirus.

It's not a valid point, though.

Right now, all across this country, people are being forced to church, to work, to school because those in leadership think that the pandemic can simply be wished away. On the browser tab next to this one I'm counting nearly 1.6 million new cases nationwide in the last 3 days, which includes the usual weekend under-counting. Make of that what you will. But it's my view that your leadership forcing you to attend super spreader events should land THEM in hell.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's not a valid point, though.

Right now, all across this country, people are being forced to church, to work, to school because those in leadership think that the pandemic can simply be wished away. On the browser tab next to this one I'm counting nearly 1.6 million new cases nationwide in the last 3 days, which includes the usual weekend under-counting. Make of that what you will. But it's my view that your leadership forcing you to attend super spreader events should land THEM in hell.
Ironically, there is no such Hell for anyone to be worried about.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:34 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:

Faith has been described as a belief that occurs without direct physical evidence of God. You really don't need that physical church to maintain faith.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:17 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:

It leads to loss of faith in those, whose faith is weak. Those, whose faith is strong and honest, have it in their hearts and through their hearts, they are connected to the supreme. Your priests, as always, mind THEIR business.

Also, why would one of the true faith, worry about anything? His or her life is in god's hands, he is saved by Jesus, no matter, what happens. And, if something happens, it was so preordained by god anyway.
So what's the worry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality