Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 08:06 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm a Catholic and started going back to church since last June because since Covid restrictions were lifted, our Bishop has removed the dispensation and we're back to being obligated to attend mass every Sunday.

All was going well until today when we received news that two of the three priests at our church tested positive. They are even urging people who received communion from them recently to go out and get tested. And I'm really wondering if that one priest who is currently testing negative also has it and it's only a matter of time before he tests positive. All three priests live together in the same building and are always in close contact with each other, so I imagine all three have it. How the church will function if that one remaining priest tests positive is beyond me!

But now I'm worried. There appears be some spreading going on in the church now and who knows how many people the priests infected when they gave out communion since they handle the bread with their bare hands.

The bishop of our diocese refuses to put back the dispensation because he claims that church is safe and if we can go to the supermarket, then we can attend mass. So I'm still obligated to attend Sunday mass despite the Omicron surge. But this just seems like a bad time since large groups of people are gathered for one hour in an indoor church. And since Omicron appears to be extremely contagious, it just doesn't seem safe at the moment to be going to church. So I don't know what to do?

Should I continue fulfilling my obligation and attend mass so I don't sin, and risk getting sick and passing it onto others? Or should I stop going for the time being and risk committing a serious sin?
I would think the greater problem would be getting it and infecting others. I think people should attend church because they want to, not because they feel they are committing a sin by not going. I'm sorry about the burden that puts on you.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:31 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
You're playing victim here.
"The bishop says I have to go, even though it will endanger my loved ones."
"I'd starve if I didn't go grocery shopping, because there's no such thing as curbside pickup or food delivery, and I haven't stocked my pantry despite two years of intermittent shut downs."

People here have offered good advice, but you make some excuse why that won't work.
Stand up and take charge of your life.

Your control-freak bishop is threatening his parishioners using bad science. Being indoors with lots of other people, including some who are known to have been exposed, is not a good idea. And you don't get covid from handling groceries. He doesn't care about you or your parents, only about the number of butts in pews. Will he go to hell? Of course not, he can give himself dispensation or get a buddy to absolve him of his sins.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:48 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
It is so refreshing to actually hear someone identify themselves as 'the spawn of Satan.' I have suspected many people to be such, but few are willing to admit to it. I applaud your honesty. So, Satan, your Pops, gave some solid info for you to pass along to the OP in regards to their question.... fabulous... impressive that you guys, given that you are Evil, are able to impart such kind advice. Now then, can you or your Pops, uh, Satan, give me some advice as to the current viability of the ETF QQQ... thumbs up or down?

Since money is the supposed root of Evil, I feel sure you guys have the inside track....

Thanks, your unholy Evilness !
Dividend yield for 2021 isn't but half of a percent. Watcha gonna do with that?
The love of money is the root of evil. So, there are better uses for your money...give it to The Church Of Satan. Or make a donation to the RNC or DNC...pretty much the same thing as the CoS.
Or just send it to me...I use it as fertilizer.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:49 AM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Our local diocese has been collecting funds from parishioners online for a very long time now. Most people don't throw money in the basket.

OP maybe this will be helpful for you:
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...in-us-dioceses

Yeah, we have the same in our parish as well, yet they still want us to attend in person. Here's an article from one of our Cardinals, which proves I don't make this stuff up...

https://aleteia.org/2021/04/08/n-y-c...-back-to-mass/

Old 01-10-2022, 08:50 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Not often impressed with what churches do, I have been impressed with several of our local churches that, on their electronic billboards advertise their online church services. Good for them!

We've been lucky in my immediate neighborhood. Only one contracted covid (thus far), and do so after a super-spreader event. We remember him fondly.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, we have the same in our parish as well, yet they still want us to attend in person. Here's an article from one of our Cardinals, which proves I don't make this stuff up...

Please note that that was published NOT during a surge.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:10 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:

hmmm, from your link:
Quote:
“It has always been the case that a person could, for grave reason — age, illness, infirmity, for instance — legitimately miss Mass; that was particularly true during the pandemic, and remains the case now,” Zwilling said.
are you elderly? and are you also abstaining from restaurants, shopping, and other events where you'd be at similar risk in close contact with others? If so, than you would be in good conscience individually dispensed from attendance.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please note that that was published NOT during a surge.

Yes, but they haven't updated anything so far. So as of now, what's in that article still stands...

Old 01-10-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
are you elderly? and are you also abstaining from restaurants, shopping, and other events where you'd be at similar risk in close contact with others? If so, than you would be in good conscience individually dispensed from attendance.

The answer to the bolder WAS no before the Omicron surge. So I was actually going to mass and I still did as of yesterday. But now that Omicron is spreading like wildfire, my answer is now YES.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:10 AM

I don't see the need to continue thread. The situation from different perspectives has been made. Make a decision and live with the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality