Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 08:32 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's not correct information.
Dude I know sooooo many people that have recently caught the virus and ALL of them were vaccinated and most were boosted. Please don’t even begin to tell me that vaccine helps prevent infection because that is just false. We have 90% of adults in NY fully vaccinated yet we are experiencing an insanely high positivity rate!

Old 01-09-2022, 08:38 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Of course I’ve been vaccinated and so have these two priests that got infected!!

At this point, do you honestly think the vaccine works? Omicron evidently appears to be vaccine resistant!
The current vaccines are less effective against omicron than previous variants but they still provide a decent level of protection, as long as you have been boosted (ie had 3 shots).
The mRNA vaccines (Pfizer or Moderna) have proven to be more effective than J&J so if you haven't had booster yet, get one of the MRNA ones.
A third dose boosts effectiveness against infection to around 75 percent, and 88 percent for severe disease.
NO vaccine claims 100% protection so it's still wise to be careful, especially if you are in an older age bracket or have co-morbidities. In other words there is still a risk.

Since you've already made up your mind that if you don't go to church, you'll go to hell instead so I don't know why you bothered posing the question.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Since you've already made up your mind that if you don't go to church, you'll go to hell instead so I don't know why you bothered posing the question.
I’m asking because I’m wondering if maybe I am truly paranoid. As I mentioned, all the priests and bishops are claiming that church is safe! Is that really true? How can an indoor congregate setting where strangers are sitting together for one full hour every week be considered “safe”? What am I missing??

Old 01-09-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I’m asking because I’m wondering if maybe I am truly paranoid. As I mentioned, all the priests and bishops are claiming that church is safe! Is that really true? How can an indoor congregate setting where strangers are sitting together for one full hour every week be considered “safe”? What am I missing??

You need to assess your own risk. I'm in my 50's, healthy, good blood pressure etc with no co-morbidities, triple vaccinated and even I would think twice about attending a regular closely packed indoor event, even with a mask. Age, co-morbidities and vaccination status are all major factors in assessing your risk.
There are no absolute certainties with this thing.
If you were in your twenties and fit and healthy the risk would be minimal. You might still get covid but you might not get very sick. If you are at the opposite end of the age range, overweight, are immuno-compromised for example that's an entirely different matter.
It's completely irresponsible for anyone to tell you it is safe. They're not doctors, they are priests and know nothing about your personal health or risk.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
I'm a Catholic and started going back to church since last June because since Covid restrictions were lifted, our Bishop has removed the dispensation and we're back to being obligated to attend mass every Sunday.

All was going well until today when we received news that two of the three priests at our church tested positive. They are even urging people who received communion from them recently to go out and get tested. And I'm really wondering if that one priest who is currently testing negative also has it and it's only a matter of time before he tests positive. All three priests live together in the same building and are always in close contact with each other, so I imagine all three have it. How the church will function if that one remaining priest tests positive is beyond me!

But now I'm worried. There appears be some spreading going on in the church now and who knows how many people the priests infected when they gave out communion since they handle the bread with their bare hands.

The bishop of our diocese refuses to put back the dispensation because he claims that church is safe and if we can go to the supermarket, then we can attend mass. So I'm still obligated to attend Sunday mass despite the Omicron surge. But this just seems like a bad time since large groups of people are gathered for one hour in an indoor church. And since Omicron appears to be extremely contagious, it just doesn't seem safe at the moment to be going to church. So I don't know what to do?

Should I continue fulfilling my obligation and attend mass so I don't sin, and risk getting sick and passing it onto others? Or should I stop going for the time being and risk committing a serious sin?
From a Jewish standpoint, it is an obligation to preserve life, even one’s own, it is the highest Mitzvah, above all others…

Old 01-09-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I remember one priest said last year during the lockdown that not going to church leads to a loss of faith. And loss of faith can land you in hell. And hell is far scarier than the Coronavirus.

Hate to admit it, but he does have a point...
It is a sin to endanger a life, even one’s own…

Old 01-09-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You need to assess your own risk. I'm in my 50's, healthy, good blood pressure etc with no co-morbidities, triple vaccinated and even I would think twice about attending a regular closely packed indoor event, even with a mask. Age, co-morbidities and vaccination status are all major factors in assessing your risk.
There are no absolute certainties with this thing.
If you were in your twenties and fit and healthy the risk would be minimal. You might still get covid but you might not get very sick. If you are at the opposite end of the age range, overweight, are immuno-compromised for example that's an entirely different matter.
It's completely irresponsible for anyone to tell you it is safe. They're not doctors, they are priests and know nothing about your personal health or risk.
That is true. Good point. And honestly, I’m in my thirties and no underlying conditions, so I’m pretty sure that this virus would mainly just get me sick in bed for a few days and won’t kill me. So I personally don’t feel threatened by it. But I’m more worried about the people I could pass it onto. We can debate all we want about the vaccine’s effectiveness, but it’s pretty evident that vaccinated people can possibly be carriers. My mom cannot get vaccinated because of her past reactions to certain medication. And she’s in her 60s. So if I were to pass on the virus to her or my dad, I would never be able to live with myself.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Of course I’ve been vaccinated and so have these two priests that got infected!!

At this point, do you honestly think the vaccine works? Omicron evidently appears to be vaccine resistant!
I know folks at work that were vaccinated and got Covid anyway, knocked their d***s in the dirt, it did…And not by Delta or Omicron either…Just the regular strain…

As a side note, has anyone heard of the anagram of “DELTA OMICRON “?…

Old 01-09-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
That is true. Good point. And honestly, I’m in my thirties and no underlying conditions, so I’m pretty sure that this virus would mainly just get me sick in bed for a few days and won’t kill me. So I personally don’t feel threatened by it. But I’m more worried about the people I could pass it onto. We can debate all we want about the vaccine’s effectiveness, but it’s pretty evident that vaccinated people can possibly be carriers. My mom cannot get vaccinated because of her past reactions to certain medication. And she’s in her 60s. So if I were to pass on the virus to her or my dad, I would never be able to live with myself.
Good. Thank you.
I think you found your answer.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:36 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Dude I know sooooo many people that have recently caught the virus and ALL of them were vaccinated and most were boosted. Please don’t even begin to tell me that vaccine helps prevent infection because that is just false. We have 90% of adults in NY fully vaccinated yet we are experiencing an insanely high positivity rate!
Fine. Go ahead. Go to church. Live (or die) with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality