Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 AM

827 posts, read 630,865 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody.

First I know the title is strange but it's not a troll thread.

I have been raised in an non practicant christian family. I have never been much involve in religious thing and i'am a non beleiver.
I used to describe myself as an atheist.

With the years passing. I'am starting to beleive it might be good for me to have something pushing me to be someone better. And some phylosophical stuff can be a good add.

The point is i don't find any religion who correspond me.

My values and the point i want to find in the religion:
* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* work and creating is a positiv stuff
* I DONT beleive in universalism and the "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.
* I don't beleive in anthropomorphic deity.

Do you see something who can suit me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,009 times
Why do you feel you need a 'religion'. Can you just be atheist?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:08 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Hello everybody.

I have been raised in an non practicant christian family. I have never been much involve in religious thing and i'am a non beleiver.

With the years passing. I'am starting to beleive it might be good for me to have something pushing me to be someone better. And some phylosophical stuff can be a good add.

* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* I DONT beleive in universalism and the "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.

Could be a bit difficult to find an organised religion like that - pro gay but anti immigration..I mean who wants to keep those hot Latino boys out? You could start by defining the parameters of your own religion re. "God".

Anthropomorphic or Spinoza -Einstein? Hands -on or Deist? Male or Female or gender -neutral? Once you know what your 'God' is, then you can ask what you need out of it. Ritual? Group prayer? Sociality? A choir of young hunks in swimtrunks?

Once you know the kind of car you are looking for, you can start to browse the pages. I'd say that you can rule out Islam and a few others right way.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why do you feel you need a 'religion'. Can you just be atheist?

I see some good effect (as with some bad) of a religion on some accointance.
A religion can help me having a discipline and goals. And cancels some bad habits.

I feel i might need it in my life. Maybe i'am wrong.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Do you think you would enjoy finding a group who all had your exact same attitude?

The good thing about Christianity is the diversity. (A statement I would have ridiculed in the past.)

Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,018 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.

* respect of nature

Soto Zen Buddhism. Its popular in Japan and is exactly what you are looking for. The Americanized version isn't much to look at, but its something if you want to be spiritual without the woo. I personally casually practice the Americanized version. If you want to really get into it, though, you need to move to Japan or else find a city that has a Zen Monastary.

A second-best option is Thai Forest Tradition Buddhism, but it has some woo about reincarnation thrown in and you may not like that.

A third-best option is Unitarian Universalism, but it has that "universalism" you don't like and it is a pretty left-aligned religion. I'm left-leaning and it even is too left for me sometimes.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Could be a bit difficult to find an organised religion like that - pro gay but anti immigration..I mean who wants to keep those hot Latino boys out?

Not especially pro gay. More pro freedom and pro choice.

Quote:
Anthropomorphic or Spinoza -Einstein? Hands -on or Deist? Male or Female or gender -neutral? Once you know what your 'God' is, then you can ask what you need out of it. Ritual? Group prayer? Sociality? A choir of young hunks in swimtrunks?

Spinoza
more deist
gender neutral
not sure for the rest, except we can forget the choir of young hunk

Quote:
Once you know the kind of car you are looking for, you can start to browse the pages. I'd say that you can rule out Islam and a few others right way.

Islam is not on the list.
I'am starting to take a look to some new pagan organization or zoroastrianism

Thanks your your answear you two

Old 04-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you think you would enjoy finding a group who all had your exact same attitude?

The good thing about Christianity is the diversity. (A statement I would have ridiculed in the past.)

I will tell you when i will find them
Well i want to impose nothing to other except being respectful.

What diversity you thing about in christianity?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:

* respect of nature

Some sort of Taoism or Bahai Maybe?

Belief-O-Matic: find your religion here based on some answers and how strongly you feel about some questions.
https://www.beliefnet.com/entertainm...iefomatic.aspx

My take on a Liberal but Realist sort of Taoism:
1) Do what you feel, don't inhibit yourself unnecessarily.
2) Respect of environment
3) In reality, things are hard to be equal.
4) No anthropomorphic deity.

You are probably going to need a lot of peer pressure to hold steadfast to a concrete religion though.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-14-2019 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Soto Zen Buddhism. Its popular in Japan and is exactly what you are looking for. The Americanized version isn't much to look at, but its something if you want to be spiritual without the woo. I personally casually practice the Americanized version. If you want to really get into it, though, you need to move to Japan or else find a city that has a Zen Monastary.

A second-best option is Thai Forest Tradition Buddhism, but it has some woo about reincarnation thrown in and you may not like that.

A third-best option is Unitarian Universalism, but it has that "universalism" you don't like and it is a pretty left-aligned religion. I'm left-leaning and it even is too left for me sometimes.

Thanks i will take a look on it.
But buddhism has some aspect i dislike. The few buddism i meet were a bit unpowerful, in a way they care about nothing. Nothing is important, nothing is good or bad. Like they are just a spectactor of their own lifes.

On universalism, i'am like you.

Just a detail. I don't know if it's important, i'am not american, i'am french.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality