Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I guess y'all are right now that I think of it, most religeous people don't really have real passion for what they believe and they dont mind living with a thousand contradictions, it just don't work that way with me, if I couldn't absolutely prove God to myself, I wouldn't believe in a God but I did prove it to myself, and although it is very hard to do, it can be done, but most people aren't that interested.
You are right. My kneekerk reaction (one of the few that still work these days) of 'Gullible' should perhaps be.. .'Interested', as you say. It isn't something just dim people do. It can happen to really smart people. The motivation has to be there. I know they swear that they weren't at all inclined, but there is evidence that an inclination - not only towards religion, but a particular religion, can happen before the person even knows it.

This is why a convert wlll often say with an almost diffident astonishment that it was some small, insignificant thing that they accept wouldn't convince anyone else in a minute, convinced them.

But is was not just that thing that convinced them; the process ("searching") had been going on for a long time. It was simply the last straw, the crack in the Dyke, the ill-made rib in the airliner, the passage in the Bible, Quran or Bhagavad -Gita or the sight of the minister buying medicine rather than praying, that caused the deluge of conversion or deconversion.

So perhaps the reality is, let the religion choose you, rather than you choose the religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
when you let a group go "pick its people" thats trouble.

some times the "convert" picks the littlest thing ...

no way is denying everything everybody says science.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:08 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Hello everybody.

First I know the title is strange but it's not a troll thread.

I have been raised in an non practicant christian family. I have never been much involve in religious thing and i'am a non beleiver.
I used to describe myself as an atheist.

With the years passing. I'am starting to beleive it might be good for me to have something pushing me to be someone better. And some phylosophical stuff can be a good add.

The point is i don't find any religion who correspond me.

My values and the point i want to find in the religion:
* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* work and creating is a positiv stuff
* I DONT beleive in universalism and the "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.
* I don't beleive in anthropomorphic deity.

Do you see something who can suit me?

Why--Only those living now to do Jesus Fathers will get to enter his kingdom( Matthew 7:21) That is Few Jesus said. Your post is all about-SELF.
If you stand for patriotism, you have already lost, Have you not Read--EVERY kingdom( govt, armies, supporters) will all be mislead to stand in opposition to Gods king( Revelation 16)= 99% on earth.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:37 PM

Par for the course, citoyen the believers will not only hand out their religious tracts but try to intimidate you into accepting it.

Those pesky arrogant god -hating immoral atheists will merely suggest how you might go about looking for a suitable religion.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Those pesky arrogant god -hating immoral atheists....
You forgot 'librul commie red bastards'...you sperm of Satan.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
I guess y'all are right now that I think of it, most religeous people don't really have real passion for what they believe and they dont mind living with a thousand contradictions, it just don't work that way with me, if I couldn't absolutely prove God to myself, I wouldn't believe in a God but I did prove it to myself, and although it is very hard to do, it can be done, but most people aren't that interested.
Substitute "God" for "Every Imaginable Sentient Being's Agnosticism" and you find my absolute prove.

And then there are the tons of people that "absolutely prove to themselves" that as humans (or in regards to deities) they must live with (or live through their hopefully false perceptions of) a thousand contradictions; absolutely.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Par for the course, citoyen the believers will not only hand out their religious tracts but try to intimidate you into accepting it.

Those pesky arrogant god -hating immoral atheists will merely suggest how you might go about looking for a suitable religion.
Freaking religeous tracts, my mom had me handing out at least 100,000 of those damn things before I was freaking 10, and IN FACT, those tracts had a bigger effect on me than ANYTHING DID.

That stupid tract where it showed a big drive in movie where YOUR LIFE IS FOR EVERYONE TO SEE, ALL YOUR SECRETS..

This is what seriously effected me and always had a profound effect on me to this day, I am not scared of death, I am afraid of the drive through that shows everyone my thoughts and deeds, it had such a profound effect on me as to relate to sheer trauma.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Freaking religeous tracts, my mom had me handing out at least 100,000 of those damn things before I was freaking 10, and IN FACT, those tracts had a bigger effect on me than ANYTHING DID.

That stupid tract where it showed a big drive in movie where YOUR LIFE IS FOR EVERYONE TO SEE, ALL YOUR SECRETS..

This is what seriously effected me and always had a profound effect on me to this day, I am not scared of death, I am afraid of the drive through that shows everyone my thoughts and deeds, it had such a profound effect on me as to relate to sheer trauma.
Scarey thought indeed. What's most scarey is that Christianity has no clause guaranteeing that the faithful will be excused a public showing of all the things they need to be Forgiven for.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Why--Only those living now to do Jesus Fathers will get to enter his kingdom( Matthew 7:21) That is Few Jesus said. Your post is all about-SELF.
If you stand for patriotism, you have already lost, Have you not Read--EVERY kingdom( govt, armies, supporters) will all be mislead to stand in opposition to Gods king( Revelation 16)= 99% on earth.
Thank you. If our Gallic pal is still around he (or she) will take careful note of one religious denomination to be put high on the list of potential religions to be avoided like an infestation of bedbugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You forgot 'librul commie red bastards'...you sperm of Satan.
And baby -eating, of course.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:

sounds like what the internet is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality