Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
I will tell you when i will find them
Well i want to impose nothing to other except being respectful.

What diversity you thing about in christianity?
I just look at the kinds of people who are attracted to it. It is the outcasts of the world. There are many pop singers who have associated with Jesus in some form or fashion. Many of them were the definition of outcasts at some point in their life.

That's just my personal point of view. After a long and crooked journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Thanks i will take a look on it.
But buddhism has some aspect i dislike. The few buddism i meet were a bit unpowerful, in a way they care about nothing. Nothing is important, nothing is good or bad. Like they are just a spectactor of their own lifes.
The whole "disconnect from the world" thing is not really something that the 8-fold path outlines for the Buddhist Layity.

The Buddhist monks have their own rules, which most often include "spectate in your life, do not try to do good and thus do bad accidentally, and do not do bad."

Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The whole "disconnect from the world" thing is not really something that the 8-fold path outlines for the Buddhist Layity.

The Buddhist monks have their own rules, which most often include "spectate in your life, do not try to do good and thus do bad accidentally, and do not do bad."
You beat me to the punch. Buddhism is simultaneously simple and difficult. It is beautifully simple and easy to understand, but hard to master, even if you are just working with the 8 precepts. I have a great amount of disdain for the Abrahamic Religions reliance on "faith" and their complexity in trying to get people to accept this big long crazy story about a zombie carpenter whose friends hated gay people and had disturbing views about childrearing and reasoning through things on your own. I also dislike how Hinduism uses the idea of an eternal self (Atman) to justify the caste system by saying people were born that way. Also, from my understandind, hindus believe in reincarnation and buddhist believe in rebirth. An example of reincarnation is that you were a cat and now you are in the shape of a person. Rebirth would be like a flame lighting another flame since there is no "you" to be reincarnated. You were bad and you caused other people to be "reborn" into badness. Nothing supernatural there. The point is that buddhism, with a few exceptions, lacks the baggage other religious groups have, so its better than the others if you must choose a religion. I don't really subscribe to any religion, but I do get a lot of inspiration from Buddhism and try to follow those 8 precepts because they seem like as good of a guide as any.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:20 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:

Not especially pro gay. More pro freedom and pro choice.

Spinoza
more deist
gender neutral
not sure for the rest, except we can forget the choir of young hunk

Islam is not on the list.
I'am starting to take a look to some new pagan organization or zoroastrianism

Thanks your your answear you two
A sorta-god of all religions and /or none, gives you a whole lot of room. Pantheism or even just pick something organised that suits you while keeping your mehntal options open. I'd almost say Quakers, but I have the feeling you may be looking for something more New Age. Something with a bit more magic.

Buddhism may not be for you (though you may find that Mahayana and especially Tibetan Buddhism might offer you a lot more than the rather more staid and unfantastic Therevada - which is what I did myself). Zoroiastrianism still exists, I heard (so do the Samaritans, would you believe) and is more just dire-worship than the more militaristic Mithras -sect that it was in Parthian times. But read a few brochures.

And remember the Fallback rule of theism for when they have to drop their differences and stand together: "It doesn't matter what you believe, so long as you believe in something".

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-14-2019 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 01:49 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you think you would enjoy finding a group who all had your exact same attitude?

The good thing about Christianity is the diversity. (A statement I would have ridiculed in the past.)
xiananity and diversity equals CHRIno ( CHRIstian in name only) and 30,000+ sects of jesus..

Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:

My values and the point i want to find in the religion:
* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* work and creating is a positiv stuff
* I DONT beleive in universalism and the "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.
* I don't beleive in anthropomorphic deity.
A reconstructed pagan European religion can fit all of these criteria. One could argue that, for example, the Norse gods are anthropomorphic, but a study of the religion finds that their anthropomorphic form can be seen as archetypal, if not allegorical, i.e. they do not need to be seen as "persons in the sky", but as aspects of human nature and physical nature.

Also, despite the prominence of the pantheons of deities in European pagan religions, this seems to be largely a product of post-pagan interpretation by Christian comentators who related to the prominence of human-like deities (God as the old man, Jes as his son, etc.) while in earlier times, the reverence for land and water spirits was more central to pagan European belief than the deities who themselves are thought to have developed from animist concepts into later anthropomorphised concepts.

*although some ultra-nationalists have hijacked imagery and symbols, and proclaim to be followers of pre-Christian European religion, their practice is clearly a socio-political interpretation of traditional beliefs meant to further their contemporary philosophies, not a genuine interpretation of the beliefs of ancestral religion.

Another option would be a more modern (post-medieval/contemporary) earth based religion like Wicca or similar. Again, concepts like the Lord and Lady are more archetypal than literal and there is a lot of room for animist interpretations of natural spirit/power.

Finally, Buddhism, alone or in concert with other religious systems, could be beneficial.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:47 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,738 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.

First I know the title is strange but it's not a troll thread.

I have been raised in an non practicant christian family. I have never been much involve in religious thing and i'am a non beleiver.
I used to describe myself as an atheist.

With the years passing. I'am starting to beleive it might be good for me to have something pushing me to be someone better. And some phylosophical stuff can be a good add.

The point is i don't find any religion who correspond me.

My values and the point i want to find in the religion:
* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* work and creating is a positiv stuff
* I DONT beleive in universalism and the "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.
* I don't beleive in anthropomorphic deity.

Do you see something who can suit me?

Humans tend to live in societies that that provide mutual aid to each other in times of need. The philosophy that makes this work is known as the golden rule. Why do you need a religion?

Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Humans tend to live in societies that that provide mutual aid to each other in times of need. The philosophy that makes this work is known as the golden rule. Why do you need a religion?
It could be an attempt to stave off the discomfort of an ongoing existential crisis.

I never resolved mine and am perpetually uncomfortable. I went through a phase like the OP where I tried to find answers in other world religions. Unitarian Universalism, Theravada, Zen, and some strains of Taoism help a little, but nothing really solves the existential crisis.

If the OP is goimg through what I go through, my message is to be ok with not being ok. Try not to think about existential or meaningful questions and try to distract yourself from the mystical by turning your attention to the day-to-day mundane details that surround you.

Also, money will set you free.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:15 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
I see some good effect (as with some bad) of a religion on some accointance.
A religion can help me having a discipline and goals. And cancels some bad habits.

I feel i might need it in my life. Maybe i'am wrong.

Deism is the most logical choice. Deism is the acknowledgement that there likely is a Supreme Being out there but he is neutral to us and doesn't interfere in our lives, leaving it up to us to choose what we feel is the most appropriate lifestyle.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Deism of a sort would seem our new pal's most attractive starting -point. Yet it is more about what one doesn't believe than what one does. I think he is looking doe a religion in which he can actively participate rather than a more intellectual position re. god -belief. While he doesn't care for Buddhism, Taoism might attract, but it isn't easy to find a 'church' of. Possibly even one of the Wicca religions, as they are more ritualistic pantheism. But sortagoddism, leaves it open to Do any religion with a degree of detachment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality