Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 AM

21 posts, read 56,371 times

Advertisements

Moving to Greensboro next year, and this will be a big deal for us. First time to move since starting a family 10 years ago.

Clicking around on the internet it is often hard to make sense of things, and I'm sure once we are there all will be clearer. But would like to begin informing ourselves about options.

Will have one child just beginning elementary school and one in last year of elementary. So would like to have both good elementary and good middle schools. And I guess in just a few years, good high school as well!

I've looked at different real estate and school rating sites and am wondering if there is one particular section of city, neighborhood, or zip code that can be counted on to have quality public education. My quick searches have suggested EP Pearce is great elementary and Kernodle a great middle school. But I have no idea if EPP feeds into KMS, if they are anywhere near each other, whether we can afford to live around them, etc., or if they are both in reality good schools.

On the home side of this issue, we would be looking to buy home or townhome not over $200,000. The bigger the better -- with 2000 sq ft probably smallest we would be comfortable in. Don't need much yard.

So, any and all thoughts on general topics of Greensboro real estate, education, sections of the city, would be appreciated.

Thanks, people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Just my 2 cents...the order in which you should do this is:

1) FIND A JOB

2) IDENTIFY GOOD SCHOOLS CLOSEST TO THAT JOB

3) FIND A HOME WHOSE STREET HAS BEEN ASSIGNED TO THAT SCHOOL.

Best of luck

Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 AM

This older thread might be useful to you:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...hborhoods.html

I especially like the advice on the last post:

"In general the Guilford County Elementary schools are aweful, but there are exceptions, whereever you are looking, make sure you check out NC School Report Cards or GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community so that you can see the schools you would be moving into. Again, as a generality, the Kernersville schools tend to be better than the rest of Forsyth county; In Guilford County, avoid downtown schools in High Point & Greensboro, stay to the northwest (Oak Ridge or Summerfield) or southeast of the county (Pleasant Garden area)."

You may want to start looking into Oak Ridge and Summerfield, which are discussed frequently here and nice places to live

Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This older thread might be useful to you:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...hborhoods.html

I especially like the advice on the last post:

"In general the Guilford County Elementary schools are aweful, but there are exceptions, whereever you are looking, make sure you check out NC School Report Cards or GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community so that you can see the schools you would be moving into. Again, as a generality, the Kernersville schools tend to be better than the rest of Forsyth county; In Guilford County, avoid downtown schools in High Point & Greensboro, stay to the northwest (Oak Ridge or Summerfield) or southeast of the county (Pleasant Garden area)."

You may want to start looking into Oak Ridge and Summerfield, which are discussed frequently here and nice places to live
The bolded part is wrong--not sure what that's based on. In Forsyth Co., the west-side schools are considered to be better (Clemmons, Lewisville, Meadowlark, Southwest). Not that the K-ville schools are bad, but based on local reputation, test scores, and "report cards", they are not better.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:31 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
The bolded part is wrong--not sure what that's based on. In Forsyth Co., the west-side schools are considered to be better (Clemmons, Lewisville, Meadowlark, Southwest). Not that the K-ville schools are bad, but based on local reputation, test scores, and "report cards", they are not better.
Agree West side does have better schools

Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Glad you guys chimed in, as I don't know the area the way you do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point