Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 06:30 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
To be honest, i tend to be more interest with phylosophie of life and personnal development or system of beleif like paganism rather than traditional religion like christianism or islam.
Is Paganism really about life and personal development?
It is more of an old style of religion and worship , than some New Age belief system.
New Age stuff definitely can be spiritual, but not necessarily religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 11:25 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The question, though, is whether religion (or at least theism) has some sort of lock on self-improvement, or if it is available by other means as well. Some people find help from the concept of stoicism for example, or secular humanism, or various secular meditation practices. For example, fasting or meditation can be pursued on its own terms, without requiring a religious ideology.

My thought is, figure out what works for you, to make you happier, calmer, more content, more centered, more patient, more loving. If that involves religion, fine. But don't assume that it has to.
When I just noticed this thread, I started at the beginning, with the OP, and immediately had to appreciate the very next comment posted in this thread. Essentially what also immediately came to mind after reading the OP. Then after realizing this thread was started quite some time ago and just recently resurrected. I quickly went to the end of this thread and noticed that the very next comment after resurrection is this one of yours that I also appreciate in the same way.

Interesting in any case what drives people to seek whatever it seems they feel the need to seek, and why. Then too the interesting basis on which or from which people will begin their search. The assumptions and pre-conceived notions that may be helpful, or may prevent people from considering other than the more typical standard paths toward self-improvement, "enlightenment," happiness.

Indeed, first order of business is to identify the goal(s) and then to consider why someone might feel they are falling short of those goals. Then strive to identify what will truly have a positive, effective and lasting influence toward staying the course we choose to pursue. Lots to think about along those lines, but at least one bit of advice I'd suggest is to keep our expectations in check. Especially in the short-term. Also to consider all the wonderful options there are to consider. Not necessarily involving the way of religion.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:55 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Could be a bit difficult to find an organised religion like that - pro gay but anti immigration..I mean who wants to keep those hot Latino boys out? You could start by defining the parameters of your own religion re. "God".

Anthropomorphic or Spinoza -Einstein? Hands -on or Deist? Male or Female or gender -neutral? Once you know what your 'God' is, then you can ask what you need out of it. Ritual? Group prayer? Sociality? A choir of young hunks in swimtrunks?

Once you know the kind of car you are looking for, you can start to browse the pages. I'd say that you can rule out Islam and a few others right way.

Hey, Transponder. Are you still around? Your profile says your last activity was a few weeks ago. We could sure use you in here!

Old 01-27-2023, 10:01 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Hey, Transponder. Are you still around? Your profile says your last activity was a few weeks ago. We could sure use you in here!
You sure about that? Yes, Transponder was quite the contributor to this forum far as I too am concerned...

Old 01-27-2023, 10:16 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You sure about that? Yes, Transponder was quite the contributor to this forum far as I too am concerned...

Looks like he's given up religion and switched over to classical music. He and I could talk up a storm because I am a classically trained musician and composer but I don't get into any of that around here on CD.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:24 PM

2,066 posts, read 2,161,397 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.

Do you see something who can suit me?
How about just pray for Divine Love? Just read this prayer whenever you have time. Then one day a miracle happens and you will feel it flowing into your soul. This higher Love brings peace, happiness and removes fear.

Here is the French translation: Prière pour l'amour divin

GB.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.

First I know the title is strange but it's not a troll thread.

I have been raised in an non practicant christian family. I have never been much involve in religious thing and i'am a non beleiver.
I used to describe myself as an atheist.

With the years passing. I'am starting to beleive it might be good for me to have something pushing me to be someone better. And some phylosophical stuff can be a good add.

The point is i don't find any religion who correspond me.

My values and the point i want to find in the religion:
* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* work and creating is a positiv stuff
* I DONT beleive in universalism and the "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.
* I don't beleive in anthropomorphic deity.

Do you see something who can suit me?
Satanism......???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality