Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Anything to get their 15 minutes of fame....
Like the people who stand outside of schools handing out Bibles and tracts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 03:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Like the people who stand outside of schools handing out Bibles and tracts?
I've never seen a newspaper or tv crew cover people handing out tracts or Bibles at a school. Is that a common thing where you live?

Old 08-04-2016, 03:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I've never seen a newspaper or tv crew cover people handing out tracts or Bibles at a school. Is that a common thing where you live?
There has been a least one thread about it on this forum. They upset parents who don't want their kids approached/given stuff by strangers.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
I certainly hope that promo video wasn't done by a newspaper or TV crew, as it would be a right hatchet job if it was.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:59 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I certainly hope that promo video wasn't done by a newspaper or TV crew, as it would be a right hatchet job if it was.
If you would have kept watching a few videos further you would have been rewarded.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If you would have kept watching a few videos further you would have been rewarded.
I'm not that bothered. The parents of any kids involved can find out for themselves what's involved. This was a media hatchet job then? Pretty blatant if it was.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:15 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm not that bothered. The parents of any kids involved can find out for themselves what's involved. This was a media hatchet job then? Pretty blatant if it was.
I'm going with it was someone having fun. There are more videos on that platform. The next one is a Muslim cab driver refusing a man with a service dog, then the one you might like, then some guy who has figured out when Jesus is coming back by what looks like studying one of those seek an finds. there is a tree stump with Jesus' face on it too. Oh, and an exorcism.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:48 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Ironically the Church of Satan doesn't worship or believe in a personal devil. It is basically more like a parody church, like the Church of Bob, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. They are simply trying to make fundamentalist heads explode for the sheer fun of it by creating a competing version of the "good news clubs" and insisting on equal time wherever there is already a good news club. The result will be that many communities will simply choose to not have ANY release time classes rather than have actual religious liberty that they claim they want. The truth is, evangelicals want religious liberty only for themselves, not others.

It is the same as the choice communities have with any use of public space: either you have to open it to everyone, or (and this is generally cheaper and simpler) just don't make it available for any outside group.
Yes, I've heard this argument that they are just "messing with people" You specified fundies and tacked on "evangelicals" as being the same thing I guess. I'm not either nor can I be fully classified even as a Christian by the standards of any organized religion and anything that invokes the name of Satan (or any other name by which he is known) "messes with" me.

My own personal Faith incorporates many different beliefs but the common thread all of them share is the concept of evil. Yep, the greatest trick Satan (or by whatever name one calls evil) ever pulled off was convincing people he doesn't exist. ANY organization, church, temple whatever that invokes the name of Satan can be taken as deceitful, they LIE, their not out just to "mess with people" though that may be what they profess to be about.

Yeah, this particular situation is surely painted into a Constitutional corner and the Satanic Temple does have a right to put on these ...activities. Parents also can freely choose to let their kids attend. There is no recourse legally so long as the "instructors" in the group stay within bounds and do not teach the violence, ugliness and destructiveness to the children that the very name of Satan is associated with. Black rites, blood sacrifice, the profaning and destruction of innocence. THAT is Satan.

In this case it is children being targeted. They are a favored target of evil in the name of Satan. But still, the Satanic Temple has a right under our laws to hold these after school sessions same as any other religious group. And parents can freely let their children attend without fear of reprisal. To those who do so choose don't ever say you haven't been warned.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:53 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Does this club dabble into the occult and go around haunting houses with spooks , or it is just an antichrist club which is designed to offend Christians ?
It is pretty much designed to provoke Christians. Even the moniker "Satanic Church" is deliberately misleading and designed to get a rise out of theists.

Basically they go around turning freedom of religion arguments against theists. For example, if theists install a statue of Moses commemorating the Ten Commandments in a public place, they'll install a statue of Baphomet, and specify that it should be facing Moses not more than five feet away.

It's not my bag, but I understand the strategy and have a grudging respect for it. Civil rights activists call this kind / style of thing "good trouble".

Old 01-16-2022, 10:01 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yeah, this particular situation is surely painted into a Constitutional corner and the Satanic Temple does have a right to put on these ...activities. Parents also can freely choose to let their kids attend. There is no recourse legally so long as the "instructors" in the group stay within bounds and do not teach the violence, ugliness and destructiveness to the children that the very name of Satan is associated with. Black rites, blood sacrifice, the profaning and destruction of innocence. THAT is Satan.
Yep that is the very point of it ... to demonstrate that most proponents of religious freedom actually only promote freedom for THEIR religion and get their knickers all in a twist if a Muslim or Hindu or pagan or, yes, a Satanist (of whatever of several stripes) benefits equally from it.

They do actually publish instructional materials for these classes so anyone who actually wants to see if what they are "targeting" children with is objectively harmful or not. I don't know much about it personally, but recall imagery that looks exactly like Friendly Jesus with happy children surrounding him, only it's Friendly Satan. In their case, I think Satan generally represents thought free of ideology or dogma, which is a bit illusory (every system of thought is, definitionally, an ideology or set of ideas or system of thinking).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality